Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looks like we just needed a QB change...

FanSinceSonnyJ

The 4-0 run that Collins has engineered to secure us a playoff spot has been down right amazing. Many of us, myself included, were openly questioning if Joe Gibbs could still coach. Well, he has proven that he still has plenty left in the tank as we enter the playoffs as, argueably, the hottest team in the league.

Todd Collins deserves all the props he's getting by finding ALL of our WR's, throwing accurately, and not tossing game killing interceptions. Gibbs' successful teams all were directed by QB's who managed games well - not necessarily superstars, but great game managers who did not make bad decisions.

The popular sentiment is that Jason Campbell will be the QB of the future. While I hope he is, I personally am not sure I agree based on what we've seen so far. Hopefully, going into year 3 next season, he will finally start showing us something in terms game smarts and, most importantly, wins.

Todd Collins, a 36 year old career back up will not be around for long, but we certainly have enjoyed what he has delivered, have we not?

It starting to look as if Saunders and Gibbs knew what they were doing all along, we just had the wrong guy under center.

my post from another thread..

We did'nt lose 7 games because of qb play, period.

GB?

NYG?

BILLS?

PHILLY?

We led in all 4 games Moss and droped passes cost us GB. And the other 3 we held nice leads but the defense crapped them away.

NE?

I'll give you Dallas and TB but he threw for over 300 yards each game, and the cowboy game he played outstanding its not his fault nobody covered TO..The TB game CP and Moss got us in a hole quick 19-0 and he still almost brung us back.

Lets be honest here we are playing better has a team. Defense has stepped up,running game,playaction is working.

We are holding leads now thats the biggest difference to me.

TC has played great and should finish this unless he stinks it up in the playoffs. But lets be honest he has'nt dealt with the injuries,drops and porious defense that JC did.

This whole team deserves credit not just TC and its nice to see healthy wr's getting seperation.

We have our QB of the future let him get healthy and we have a bright future. Ride TC till it ends this year. Thier is no need for 95% of the people on this board to poop on JC to promote TC. Just support both and be glad were winning and enjoy the ride.

I give credit to all of our team and coaches for getting this thing going.We are just a different team as of late.Our playmakers are stepping up as well as our O-Line,the D is getting pressure and stuffing the run and Teams is solid.Collins was a shot in the arm for the whole team it seems like.

GB?

NYG?

BILLS?

PHILLY?

We led in all 4 games Moss and droped passes cost us GB. And the other 3 we held nice leads but the defense crapped them away.

NE?

I'll give you Dallas and TB but he threw for over 300 yards each game, and the cowboy game he played outstanding its not his fault nobody covered TO..The TB game CP and Moss got us in a hole quick 19-0 and he still almost brung us back.

Lets be honest here we are playing better has a team. Defense has stepped up,running game,playaction is working.

TC has played great and should finish this unless he stinks it up in the playoffs. But lets be honest he has'nt dealt with the injuries,drops and porious defense that JC did.

This whole team deserves credit not just TC and its nice to see healthy wr's getting seperation.

We have our QB of the future let him get healthy and we have a bright future. Ride TC till it ends this year. Thier is no need for 95% of the people on this board to poop on JC to promote TC. Just support both and be glad were winning and enjoy the ride.

:applause::applause::applause: Very well put.

The Redskins are a better team on the field than they were earlier in the season, it doesn't necessarily mean the individual talent is better. Carlos Rogers, Rocky McIntosh, Randy Thomas, and of course ST........nobody is going to say the current group is more talented for the long run.........but in the short-term the TEAM is more focused and solid in the locker room and in the ultimate team sport that is what gets results.

This isn't the NBA where one star makes or breaks the season. You have to have 45 active players each week working on concert.

TC is playing better than JC was.......Its that simple

Did JC cost us a game?.....maybe TB

But TC adds value----Better Reads, Quick Release, Interceptions, Accuracy, Touch and Leadership

I doubt JC wins 4 in a row (but to be honest who would have thought TC would?)

If the Future is NOW.....its with TC

Montgomery is also getting a helluva push inside which is causing passers to roll to the outside into the waiting arms of Andre Carter and Chris Wilson.

the play of the Redskins middle defense has improved 100% from last season and has been perhaps at its best the past 4 weeks.

in addition to the emergence of Montgomery you see a now healthy Cornelius Griffin and super-sub Kedric Golston as well as what I think has been a pro bowl year from London Fletcher.

you can add in that you are looking at a future pro bowl fixture in LaRon Landry at free safety :)

Like it or not, the defensive game plan called by the Animal Trainer is much better without Sean Taylor. He actually has been calling an aggressive blitzing game plan instead of relying solely on Taylor to cover everything in the secondary.
Very true, I'm glad someone else brought this up. Collins has played very well as has the rest of the offense of course, but let's not overlook the defensive scheming as of late too.

That bend-don't-break stuff at the beginning of the season worked alright, but this kind of defense is much better. Williams got too caught up in that Cover 2 shell/Cover 1 BS and relied too much on Taylor playing centerfield while giving up tons of room on underneath stuff, and that soft style defense is what really killed us in the Patriots game. The Giants and Eagles played them tough by blitzing non-stop and putting a lot of pressure on Brady, while Williams was overly confident in our corner depth to just match up with New England's recievers every play. Williams should've been blitzing the hell out of guys from the get-go, and he also should've put Landry to FS while Taylor was out hurt. This aggressive style of defense is what Williams, and what the Skins, do best, and I'm glad we're back to it.

GB?

NYG?

BILLS?

PHILLY?

NE?

someone who is finally not against JC

thank you

With Todd Collins, I think this is the only time in NFL history I have seen an offensive coordinator suit up and run his own plays on the field..........he may know some aspects of this offense better than Saunders himself :)

Exactly, it is not a knock on Campbell to say that Collins has given this team, which was good all along, the missing piece of the puzzle and made this team much better. Campbell should be learning from what Collins is doing on the field because it will be his job next season to duplicate what makes this offense click.

Injuries or no, Campbell and his receivers are usually not on the same page for whatever reason. He have all the tools to become what we need in a QB but that timing HAS to come and if he can get his by looking at how Collins hooks up with receivers, his injury just may have been a blessing in disguise.

We did need a qb change. All the JC lovers can look back at the losses all they want and only blame JC for 2 of them.

But be objective. JC has 12 TD's and 11 INT's. We were like in game 6 or 7 when we finally got a TD from a WR. The passes were at the WR's feet at the beginning of the year and over or behind them up to the Chicago game.

JC was not horrible all year by no means but he did give 2 games away. And the 3 and outs didn't help much in the other losses.

It is ok to say JC played poorly this year. It doesn't mean we have to throw him away or anything. Aikman played horribly his first year.

TC is playing better than JC was.......Its that simple

Did JC cost us a game?.....maybe TB

But TC adds value----Better Reads, Quick Release, Interceptions, Accuracy, Touch and Leadership

I doubt JC wins 4 in a row (but to be honest who would have thought TC would?)

If the Future is NOW.....its with TC

Very well said. :applause: :applause: :cheers: :point2sky

The reasons for the turnaround are many in addition to the great play by Collins.

- Fewer dropped balls

- Fewer fumbles from players other than the qb

- Offensive line has gelled now with Fabini and Heyer

- Moss and ARE are healthy, Thrash is back, Caldwell has stepped in

- The defense is just playing inspired ball

- Portis is finally healthy and in game shape

All of these things have helped the Skins play better the last four games.

I agree. Campbell is going to be fine. He is learning a lot from having played and now from seeing Collins execute the plays that had eluded this offense the first 10-12 weeks.

The road to becoming a starting quarterback in the NFL is NOT linear for most players.

Joe Theismann was 28 years old before he got an opportunity to lead this team full-time. Mark Rypien was 27 before he emerged in 1989 to become the starting quarterback here.

People forget that and expected the 23 year old Campbell to come in here in 2005 and make an immediate impact.

That just wasn't going to happen.

We did need a qb change. All the JC lovers can look back at the losses all they want and only blame JC for 2 of them.

But be objective. JC has 12 TD's and 11 INT's. We were like in game 6 or 7 when we finally got a TD from a WR. The passes were at the WR's feet at the beginning of the year and over or behind them up to the Chicago game.

JC was not horrible all year by no means but he did give 2 games away. And the 3 and outs didn't help much in the other losses.

It is ok to say JC played poorly this year. It doesn't mean we have to throw him away or anything. Aikman played horribly his first year.

Very well stated. :applause: :applause: :cheers: :point2sky

The JC lovers seem to have ALL the excuses in the world as to why JC could not deliver when the chips were down. Bottom line is that he pretty much lost 2 games for us. We win them and we're coasting into the playoffs at 11-5. He hits more WR's and makes less costly turnovers, perhaps even better.

Sure it's not all on him, that's a given. However, the team goes or stops with the play at the QB position. JC had us sputtering to a stop while TC has us soaring. No brainer as to who should be starting, regardless of JC's health. We should all be thrilled Collins is now starting as we are winning consistantly and he is playing brilliantly.

GB?

NYG?

BILLS?

PHILLY?

NE?

Try telling that to the Colts. Do you really think the QB position isn't the difference between the Colts winning and the Colts losing?

How about New England? Do you really think if Jason Campbell was on the Patriots they would have won the other night and come back?

You obviously haven't figured out yet that the QB position is the MOST important position on the field and affects everyone including the defense.

TODD COLLINS is the difference and not the lack or addition of any one fumble or one play or another player.

Very well said. :applause: :applause: :cheers: :point2sky

Hopefully TC cuts down on the turnovers. He was lucky the team bailed him out on his 2 fumbles and Dallas bailed him out on his interception.

As FanSinceSonnyJ has pointed out before multiple turnovers from the QB position is unacceptable.

....People forget that and expected the 23 year old Campbell to come in here in 2005 and make an immediate impact.

That just wasn't going to happen.

So are you saying we should wait until he is 28-36 years old until he finally starts producing? If so, I'm okay with that - provided he is not the starter until that time. :laugh:

Seriously, let's hope this kid starts showing us something next season. The way things are going, he may very well enter next season as the # 2 guy anyway.

Hopefully TC cuts down on the turnovers. He was lucky the team bailed him out on his 2 fumbles and Dallas bailed him out on his interception.

As FanSinceSonnyJ has pointed out before multiple turnovers from the QB position is unacceptable.

Blah. Blah. Blah. How many interceptions has Collins had in the last 4 weeks?

4-0 with Collins. JC was 0-4 in his last 4 starts. Enough said.

You JC lovers are a hoot. Blind following over the success of the team.

The reasons for the turnaround are many in addition to the great play by Collins.

- Fewer dropped balls.....

I would speculate that dropped balls might also be a JC issue...somewhat

He throws bullets all the time....No touch

His timing is off.....WRs have a tougher time adjusting for late throws

Also

Catching a ball in space is easier than catching a ball with a DB breathing down your neck and the YAC is higher

I do not disagree with your points though

I understand what you're saying about not covering TO and everything but he still had a chance to win us the game. At the end of the day, as much as it sucks, that's all that's going to matter. (Same with the TB game)

I think he just needs to learn to finish games and once he does that, he'll be a great QB.

The only thing that TC has over JC is experience. Collins knows Saunders system and seems to have better reads over opponent's dee. JC has better tools to play the game for sure. He just need to be more patient and protect the ball better. Once Collins desides to retire, it would not be a bad idea to retain him as QB coach.

Archived