Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gift Cards

TrumanB

They are the beginning of the end of the American empire. Please step away from this thread if you don't want to hear an old fart rant and rave about these evil cards.

They scream "I am too lazy to actually put any thought into buying a present, so I'll just pick up one of these cards". That's what our society has come to. A fast food society. Lazy. Selfish. Thoughtless.

This all started a few days ago when I asked my brother what my nephew wanted for Christmas. My brother's response: "oh, I don't know, why don't you just get him a gift card from Target or something". WTF? The kid is 9 years old. He doesn't want a ****ing gift card. He wants a ****ing big, wrapped box that he can ****ing open under the ****ing Christmas tree. Not an envelope with a piece of plastic in it. I told my brother to **** off and hung the phone up. I immediately went to Toys R' Us and bought him a kick-ass remote control airplane. How much you want to bet he'll enjoy opening that present over a stupid gift card?

For those that don't know, retailers make a killing off these cards. Two reasons: 1) Most people don't spend the entire amount that is on the card. Those left over pennies and dollars add up 2) Some people either forget about them or lose them. Most of these cards have an expiration date. It has been estimated that up to 8 billion dollars a year (yes, billion) is left unclaimed on gift cards.

So, the next time you are out Christmas shopping, or for whatever occasion it may be, take the time to actually shop for a real present. I'm sure there are times when a gift card is appropriate, but I have not personally found a reason to buy one of these wretched things.

<Rant OFF>

Merry Christmas

Yes.

I'll be sure not to get any more gift cards now.:doh:

I think they're damn useful to be honest. What's the point of getting gifts when you're not sure they'll like it? Then they'll have to go through the hassle of taking it back the day after Christmas. They'll end up getting what they want anyway.

Might as well avoid the crap and give them a gift card to get what they want.

Gift cards are like printing money for retailers. In many cases, they are pure margin. There was a stat I remember hearing a while ago that something like 20% of gift cards are never redeemed. Not sure how true that is... but I've misplaced / forgotten about several gift cards myself over the years, so I don't doubt it. That's why retailers devote so much space to them at checkout and other places. (at least the smart ones do)

Gift cards are like printing money for retailers. In many cases, they are pure margin. There was a stat I remember hearing a while ago that something like 20% of gift cards are never redeemed. Not sure how true that is... but I've misplaced / forgotten about several gift cards myself over the years, so I don't doubt it. That's why retailers devote so much space to them at checkout and other places. (at least the smart ones do)

I believe that number is true. I have a Target gift card that I've yet to redeem.

The worst part is, you can get tons of stuff at Target, but there isn't one close enough to make it worth my while.....

Of course, a company doesn't recognize the revenue from a gift card sale until its redeemed --

Might as well avoid the crap and give them a gift card to get what they want.

Why not give them straight cash then? So that they can go to any store and do the shopping for you.

How about finding out what they want or need instead of taking the easy way out?

In the case of a kid, I can somewhat agree ... they want something to open, and they are less picky.

But for most of the people I buy for, they'd prefer a gift card than some stupid penguin statue. That way they can get what they really want.

Bah Humbug, mister!

Exactly. Most gifts are crap - give me a gift card and let me get something I actually want. I'm sick of shirts I don't like that are 2 sizes too small. :mad:

Of course, a company doesn't recognize the revenue from a gift card sale until its redeemed --

Seems like I heard something about that this past year about the rules changing on that. Not sure the ins and outs... but I do know that it wasn't this way for a very long time.

Why not give them straight cash then? So that they can go to any store and do the shopping for you.

How about finding out what they want or need instead of taking the easy way out?

in my case, it was nice because the gift card "forced" us to spend money on ourselves. when we get cash, it goes right into our investments. not a bad thing either, but it's nice to "have" to use that $100 at circuit city.

I give them Visa or American Express Gift Cards. That way they can use them anywhere they want.

They don't expire for two years. So it's the same as cash really.

In the case of a kid, I can somewhat agree ... they want something to open, and they are less picky.

But for most of the people I buy for, they'd prefer a gift card than some stupid penguin statue. That way they can get what they really want.

Bah Humbug, mister!

Damn, is anyone on my side? Ahhh, screw all of you then.

I do, kind of! HAHAH

Seems like I heard something about that this past year about the rules changing on that. Not sure the ins and outs... but I do know that it wasn't this way for a very long time.

Zoony, here is some info that my company uses. The breakage policy is determined by the retailer really .... check this article from Journal of Accountancy for more in-depth info:

http://www.aicpa.org/pubs/jofa/nov2007/gift_cards.htm

They are the beginning of the end of the American empire. Please step away from this thread if you don't want to hear an old fart rant and rave about these evil cards.

They scream "I am too lazy to actually put any thought into buying a present, so I'll just pick up one of these cards". That's what our society has come to. A fast food society. Lazy. Selfish. Thoughtless.

This all started a few days ago when I asked my brother what my nephew wanted for Christmas. My brother's response: "oh, I don't know, why don't you just get him a gift card from Target or something". WTF? The kid is 9 years old. He doesn't want a ****ing gift card. He wants a ****ing big, wrapped box that he can ****ing open under the ****ing Christmas tree. Not an envelope with a piece of plastic in it. I told my brother to **** off and hung the phone up. I immediately went to Toys R' Us and bought him a kick-ass remote control airplane. How much you want to bet he'll enjoy opening that present over a stupid gift card?

For those that don't know, retailers make a killing off these cards. Two reasons: 1) Most people don't spend the entire amount that is on the card. Those left over pennies and dollars add up 2) Some people either forget about them or lose them. Most of these cards have an expiration date. It has been estimated that up to 8 billion dollars a year (yes, billion) is left unclaimed on gift cards.

So, the next time you are out Christmas shopping, or for whatever occasion it may be, take the time to actually shop for a real present. I'm sure there are times when a gift card is appropriate, but I have not personally found a reason to buy one of these wretched things.

<Rant OFF>

Merry Christmas

I totally agree (except with the profanity).

If you want to give them gift cards that are really accepted anywhere, why not just give them cash?

I totally agree (except with the profanity).

If you want to give them gift cards that are really accepted anywhere, why not just give them cash?

Because they might use cash to pay bills or something. Though they could still do that with a Visa gift card, it would be less likely.

They would have to spend it on themselves.

Its 10%, but that is still $8 BILLION.

I sort of agree with OPP. I think there are some people, usually the closest people to you, that you should never get a gift card to. True, there is the downside of getting the wrong gift or the wrong size. But they will even remember that you always tried ay least instead of copping out and buying some meaningless gift card. And getting some cool gift that you didn't even know you wanted is always the best. I'd certainly rather have a homemade gift rather than a gift card any day of the week, from people that you really care about.

But for people you don't know as well a gift card can be a nice thought. Like a gift card to a nice restaruant as a thank you gift, or when I started a real job I got gift cards to clothing places so that I could pick out work clothes that I liked and fit well.

btw here in Colorado there are strict laws about gift cards which do not allow expiration dates or declining balances.

Archived