Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can We Show a Little Patience with Campbell Please?

#98QBKiller

I actually don't dislike him. I would love for him to succeed. I don't enjoy watching us lose. I spend way too much time, energy, travel and money on this team year in year out to want anything other than wins for us. But I think we were in a much better position when we let PR go. I would have liked to seen that one play out. Also, I find it funny that the same people that were hammering PR as being a bust play the opposite tune with JC, even though his play is worse.

His play is so much better than Ramsey's was its not even close.

Tell me what Ramsey did better than Campbell.

If Ramsey WEREN'T a bust, he'd still be in football. He went to a team (the Jets) with quite possibly, the worst QB situation in football, and couldn't even make it above 3rd string. Sounds to me like Gibbs and company knew what they were doing, just as they do now with Campbell.

and if this occurs, i would love to see the reaction of the fans and this organization

About the same as when Stan Humphries played in the Super Bowl, when Rich Ganon played in the Superbowl against Brad Johnson who won the Superbowl and about the same as watching Trent Green play well for years.

Or it could be like watching Heath Shuler play for the Saints.

He is 1-5 in his last 6 games. There was plenty of patience when he was 2-5 last year, but the regression in wins and choking game after game away has built up. A 3rd year QB, even in his 1st year as starter, should not have a 1-5 stretch as the QB for the Skins. There is no excuse for it.

You sir... have a short term memory...

You expect a first year starter to win and go to the playoffs?

A guy that has been in the league for 3 years, learning 2 different systems, with the rest of his supporting cast decimated by injuries, and coaches that cant seem to agree on a direction to go to win games?

A guy that has put us in positions to win, while his supporting cast, blows leads, drops sure passes and lays the ball on the ground during clutch situations?

Yeah.. you are allowed to have an opinion... too bad its dead wrong.

As our offense slowly evolves into a pass-oriented one Campbell is going through necessary growing pains. on the surface this seems like "regressing." I see this as a "one step back, two steps forward" situation. Consider this:

When the offense is opened up (4-5 receiver sets, shotgun formations, routes that spread over the entire field) Campbell is money from the 20 to the 20. Think Green Bay game in spurts where our receivers actually caught the ball, Tampa, Detroit, the desperation drive against Giants in week 3, Dallas, etc. Many drives Campbell has proven more than ready to be "the guy." He makes it look easy. I feel comfortable watching it.

Then when we get inside the 20, problems. Two reasons:

a.) lack of big receiver who can make a play for a 50-50 ball. This is a huge problem. Since week 1, when Campbell threw that end zone jump ball to B. Lloyd that was easily picked, he has avoided these throws like the plague. Even the best munchkin receiver out there, Steve Smith, has never been a TD machine - he's not a jump ball target. For Campbell, this hampers his confidence and forces him to stare down Cooley, or dump it off into the flat or throw it away. This makes our offense easy to defend in the red zone. Romo sits to pee, Brady, Palmer, Manning, Roethlisberger, D. Anderson, even Eli, have guys who go up and get touchdowns for them.

b.) The novelty of these pressure packed scenarios - both because he is young and because our coaches have avoided putting the ball in his hands at the end of games until recently. he should have been allowed to make these mistakes early in the season, as opposed to the last few weeks when a playoff spot was on the line. I'm sorry, but you can't learn everything in practice...otherwise Taylor Jacobs would be in the pro bowl. And you can't expected to be John Elway in your 18th start after being a Trent Dilfer 2000 Ravens-type game manager for the first 17 starts, and it's even harder in games with immediate playoff implications, on the road, against defenses in mid-season form.

Bottom line is the mistakes we've seen the last few weeks should have been made in weeks 1-5. I can't wait for '08, when we see Campbell take those "two steps forward."

I can't stand it when people make rash comments basically calling for Campbells head. It shows a fan base that doesn't understand football, and doesn't know that it takes time for a young guy like Campbell to be productive like the Peytons, Like the Romo sits to pee's. Romo sits to pee didn't get this good overnight. He was one the bench and also played in different leagues from what I understand.

I think Campbell spent some time on the bench. A year and a half or so.

I also think Campbell and Romo sits to pee have the same number of starts.

If you are going to bash a fanbase at least do it with facts. Otherwise it comes off that YOU don't know football.

My statements. The best offensive line in history and the best trio of WRs in redskins history. We have Jokes as WRs, and Fabini who blows. Cooley is the only consistent member of this unit and he is limited too.

I am sure that it was his fault that the defense gave up 28 pts straight after taylor's injury. The Dallas game, Oops Owens 4 receiving TDs and 170 yds receiving. The Tampa game, 4 turnovers in the first half and a bad call by Gibbs on the 4th which wasted 8 mins in the 3rd quarter. Oops, Gibbs calling that 2nd timeout and allowing a rookie QB throw with no pressure

You do know that the All Time leading receiver in team history is currently on the team. As is the all time leading receiver for tight ends. As is the all time leading rusher. You know all 3 of those guys are on the team. And reached those levels in 2005....such a long time ago

I think Campbell spent some time on the bench. A year and a half or so.

I also think Campbell and Romo sits to pee have the same number of starts.

If you are going to bash a fanbase at least do it with facts. Otherwise it comes off that YOU don't know football.

If you want to talk about facts, tell the all. Yes Romo sits to pee and Campbell have the same amount of starts. However, This is Romo sits to pee's 5th season and Campbell's 3rd.

This makes a huge difference. Can you imagine if Campbell had 3 additional years to learn Al Saunders system (because his rookie year was spent learning Gibbs' system) and was given patience by the fanbase and FO? I think the mediots would be talking about Campbell being a top 5 qb now as well.

You do know that the All Time leading receiver in team history is currently on the team. As is the all time leading receiver for tight ends. As is the all time leading rusher. You know all 3 of those guys are on the team. And reached those levels in 2005....such a long time ago

Cooley is 1 person.

Moss is the most overrated WR by us fans. He plays outside of the hashes and took advantage of the new rule changes for the 5 yds

Portis-does it really matter who is in the backfield when your offensive line is crap

I would take the Hogs and Clark, Monk and Sanders over anyone today.. The NFL today is all about the offense today

As our offense slowly evolves into a pass-oriented one Campbell is going through necessary growing pains. on the surface this seems like "regressing." I see this as a "one step back, two steps forward" situation. Consider this:

When the offense is opened up (4-5 receiver sets, shotgun formations, routes that spread over the entire field) Campbell is money from the 20 to the 20. Think Green Bay game in spurts where our receivers actually caught the ball, Tampa, Detroit, the desperation drive against Giants in week 3, Dallas, etc. Many drives Campbell has proven more than ready to be "the guy." He makes it look easy. I feel comfortable watching it.

Then when we get inside the 20, problems. Two reasons:

a.) lack of big receiver who can make a play for a 50-50 ball. This is a huge problem. Since week 1, when Campbell threw that end zone jump ball to B. Lloyd that was easily picked, he has avoided these throws like the plague. Even the best munchkin receiver out there, Steve Smith, has never been a TD machine - he's not a jump ball target. For Campbell, this hampers his confidence and forces him to stare down Cooley, or dump it off into the flat or throw it away. This makes our offense easy to defend in the red zone. Romo sits to pee, Brady, Palmer, Manning, Roethlisberger, D. Anderson, even Eli, have guys who go up and get touchdowns for them.

b.) The novelty of these pressure packed scenarios - both because he is young and because our coaches have avoided putting the ball in his hands at the end of games until recently. he should have been allowed to make these mistakes early in the season, as opposed to the last few weeks when a playoff spot was on the line. I'm sorry, but you can't learn everything in practice...otherwise Taylor Jacobs would be in the pro bowl. And you can't expected to be John Elway in your 18th start after being a Trent Dilfer 2000 Ravens-type game manager for the first 17 starts, and it's even harder in games with immediate playoff implications, on the road, against defenses in mid-season form.

Bottom line is the mistakes we've seen the last few weeks should have been made in weeks 1-5. I can't wait for '08, when we see Campbell take those "two steps forward."

Very good post, but the part about the red zone is especially true. I'm hoping that Anthony Mix works his way into the starting lineup, at least in the red zone. He made a few big plays on special teams against the Bears so that shows me that he's got potential.

If you want to talk about facts, tell the all. Yes Romo sits to pee and Campbell have the same amount of starts. However, This is Romo sits to pee's 5th season and Campbell's 3rd.

This makes a huge difference. Can you imagine if Campbell had 3 additional years to learn Al Saunders system (because his rookie year was spent learning Gibbs' system) and was given patience by the fanbase and FO? I think the mediots would be talking about Campbell being a top 5 qb now as well.

And Romo sits to pee is learning a new system this year...we all know how hard that is.

The poster I quoted said Campbell needed time on the bench...he had it.

The poster says Campbell needed time in games...he has it also.

And nowhere have I ever said Campbell is a) bad, or B) not the future.

I have said he isn't a rookie, he has experience, and he hasn't delivered the big wins when the opportunity was there. Is it all his fault? No. Romo sits to pee's fumble this past weekend could have been recovered by Detroit, instead Dallas gets it, converts a fourth down and goes on to win....and "the legend grows". Legends grow based on W's

Cooley is 1 person.

Moss is the most overrated WR by us fans. He plays outside of the hashes and took advantage of the new rule changes for the 5 yds

Portis-does it really matter who is in the backfield when your offensive line is crap

I would take the Hogs and Clark, Monk and Sanders over anyone today.. The NFL today is all about the offense today

So he "took advantage of the new rule changes for the 5 yds" and that makes him overrated? He is the all time leading receiver for the franchise.

Cooley is 1 person? Of course he is. How many tight ends do you need?

It was funny, when Moss was coming we needed someone with speed to stretch the field and get the safeties off the line. Now you "experts" think he is a bum.

And Romo sits to pee is learning a new system this year...we all know how hard that is.

I have said he isn't a rookie, he has experience, and he hasn't delivered the big wins when the opportunity was there. Is it all his fault? No. Romo sits to pee's fumble this past weekend could have been recovered by Detroit, instead Dallas gets it, converts a fourth down and goes on to win....and "the legend grows". Legends grow based on W's

This system by Al Saunders takes too long to be good at. Thats my problem. Look at the system that was put into place by Sean Payton in NO last year, Jason Garrett is running a simplified offense based on execution and not on reads and etc

So he "took advantage of the new rule changes for the 5 yds" and that makes him overrated? He is the all time leading receiver for the franchise.

Cooley is 1 person? Of course he is. How many tight ends do you need?

It was funny, when Moss was coming we needed someone with speed to stretch the field and get the safeties off the line. Now you "experts" think he is a bum.

I liked Moss but i knew who we were getting. My friend is a Jets fan and he said he might have 1 breakout year but have fun with his injuiries but he will stay injuired. I guess he was right.

Cooley is the only realiable person on offense and he is still limited. He doesn't have the size of Witten or Gates and if he did he would be the best TE in the leagu

Lets get this straight on the Romo sits to pee is in a new system thing. Garrett was his qb coach and is running practically the same system as in previous years. The legend grows based on W's, but mainly a supporting cast. Romo sits to pee isn't throwing to Antwaan Randel El, he's throwing to Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn (hurt) and Patrick Crayton. All 3 of those guys are tremedously talented and give Romo sits to pee great targets to throw to. Campbell has none of these. Our leading receiver is Cooley, who is kept in to block quite often to give Campbell time.

My point is the comparison to Romo sits to pee and Campbell is irrelevant and lacks any logic. They are two very different situations and to say Campbell should be playing like Romo sits to pee is an unfair comparison.

This system by Al Saunders takes too long to be good at. Thats my problem. Look at the system that was put into place by Sean Payton in NO last year, Jason Garrett is running a simplified offense based on execution and not on reads and etc

Takes too long FOR JC, which is consistent with what scouts said about his low mental capacity and his probable lack of ability to learn a complex scheme. Not Al's fault we drafted an idiot. Can't wait until Collins showcases that an idiot and future backup QB was forced on Saunders.

Takes too long FOR JC, which is consistent with what scouts said about his low mental capacity and his probable lack of ability to learn a complex scheme. Not Al's fault we drafted an idiot. Can't wait until Collins showcases that an idiot and future backup QB was forced on Saunders.

An idiot? That's going a little far...

Lets try and keep this conversation reasonable and prudent :)

redskin fans are ignorant, they just dont get it.

They are not ignorant they just want results. We certainly have paid enough for it over the years.. Do you even remember the last superbowl we were in?

The Redskins were known for winning the whole thing with average guys. Williams and Rypien.

Archived