Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spring's at FS?

wit 33

I keep going back and forth on this one. On one hand he'd be good in coverage and allow LL to play in the box more. On other other hand he has been very injury prone lately, and if he has to make more tackles that could be a problem.

At the same time, Springs is a good tackler in open space. That is what you need out of a safety if receivers and TEs are able to catch passes of 10+ yards. Someone who can be there to either break it up or make the tackle immediately. I think Springs can do that for us, but his current salary is a problem.

As far as the hole at corner goes, we can either address that in the draft or get someone to play nickel. This all depends on how Carlos progresses and how Reed Doughty plays in these last 4 games. We'll have to wait and see.

we played this game last offseason. springs needs to go.

If we still had Taylor and Carlos playing I'd agree with you. The problem is we don't have Taylor, Carlos may not be 100% at seasons start, so we need another Corner back, who you want out there beside smoot, and lets not forget that injuries can happen in the preseason. I think we Need Springs for one more year. I doubt he would make the switch to Safety though.

Reed Doughy will improve with time. He will be playing the position. I see a lot of Pat Fisher in him. As far as Springs go, he's out best corner back.

I don't see the draw of Reed Doughty...The guy is out of position more often than in it. He's not incredibly big, nor is he incredibly fast. Will he continue to improve? Yes. Is he a starter in the NFL? He shouldn't be... :2cents:

If we still had Taylor and Carlos playing I'd agree with you. The problem is we don't have Taylor, Carlos may not be 100% at seasons start, so we need another Corner back, who you want out there beside smoot, and lets not forget that injuries can happen in the preseason. I think we Need Springs for one more year. I doubt he would make the switch to Safety though.

we need to grab one of the dudes from the raiders or deangelo hall, both young and good, then draft one with one of our earlier picks. OL/DL/CB/WR should be our draft priorities.

I don't think Springs would go to FS, just because I think he'd be much better at corner and his contract situation won't warrant that.

What I'd think is that they may get a free agent FS next year. But, could they toy around with the thought of putting Laron Landry at FS and possibly having Pierson Prioleau back at SS? I know Landry's game is playing close to the to line of scrimmage, but coming out of the draft, a lot of people said he was almost a Sean Taylor clone.

we need to grab one of the dudes from the raiders or deangelo hall, both young and good, then draft one with one of our earlier picks. OL/DL/CB/WR should be our draft priorities.

I'd look at Hall for sure, or maybe Pacman if the Titans Release him, but I don't so much as care which team they steal a Corner or Safety from, so long as they can find one :D

I don't think Springs would go to FS, just because I think he'd be much better at corner and his contract situation won't warrant that.

What I'd think is that they may get a free agent FS next year. But, could they toy around with the thought of putting Laron Landry at FS and possibly having Pierson Prioleau back at SS? I know Landry's game is playing close to the to line of scrimmage, but coming out of the draft, a lot of people said he was almost a Sean Taylor clone.

We are thinking the same. I think we need springs where he is, now the thought has crossed my mind of having perhaps three corners and one safety, but I'm not sure that's a good idea either.

Springs was excelling in the slot(he is the best DB we have for that position) then of course Smoot kept getting hurt then Rogers...if all three were healthy as well as Sean not getting hurt then passing....JESUS we had a stellar defense sans injuries at the beginning of this years...its just soooo disheartening.

Who claimed LL to be a ST clone? I was under the impression that the knock on Landry was his coverage skills.

I'd look at Hall for sure, or maybe Pacman if the Titans Release him, but I don't so much as care which team they steal a Corner or Safety from, so long as they can find one

After what happened with Sean Taylor do you really think the Skins would even consider taking someone with Pacman's violent past? I know that this is still a business, but that move would be wrong and disrespectful to Sean Taylor's memory IMO. Pacman is a thug and talent aside he will disgrace any team he sets foot on.

If we signed a top corner (or a trade for DeAngelo Hall, as has been previously mentioned) then you can move Springs to FS. If we don't sign a starting calibur corner (or at least a VERY good nickle), its going to be hard to sacrifice Springs as a corner.

didn't GW switch Landry and Doughty for the Bills game?

I saw Landry deep the whole game at Free Safety, and Doughty crowding the line at Strong Safety on most downs. I like this better than Doughty deep, Landry has more speed and better cover skills (in his LSU days he had to line up with WR's now and then)

maybe Landry can be the guy to take Taylor's spot?

Archived