Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were a GM, who would you cut?

redskins59

Okay, think as a GM. If you had to rebuild this team, which players would you cut? There are certain players who we all love, but they have to go because they're either too old, making too much money or just not getting the job done. We need to build a superbowl winning team. For that too happen, a GM has to be as ruthless as possible. Given the fact that we are 19.5 million above the salary cap this year, there is no doubt in my mind that we will need to cut some players. We need to learn to manage our salary cap effectively from now on. Every year, it seems we need to restructure our players just to get under the salary cap, and that sure isn't a recipe for success. We are the oldest team in the league because we rely on free agency too much. Let next year be a rebuilding year. Assume that other players have restructured to ensure that these players are cut:

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline.

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office.

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches.

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million.

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much.

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him.

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone.

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer.

Assume that we're using the draft to fill up all our holes.

This has to be one of the most imaginable threads I've read and it may be the best........

1. Disagree

2. Agreed No Brainer

3. Disagree

4. Disagree

5. Agreed Too injury prone

6. Agreed Better late than never

7. Agreed

8. Agreed

9. Agreed Absolutely.....too old

10. Agreed Too stiff for an Offensive Lineman

........and here's one not on your list: Chris Samuels......He's not a very bright player and he's the most penalized Offensive Lineman in the NFL.

I would cut brandon lloyd and Jason Fabini

then i would try to trade people for younger talent and or draft picks people i would look to trade

Santana Moss

Ladel Betts

Jon Jansen

Cornelius Griffin

Philip Daniels

Pierson Prioleau

Todd Wade

Shaun Springs

and i would adress the positions with the trades/ draft

Nobody would give anything more than a 6th round pick for any of those players. Maybe a few years ago they would be worth something. They should have traded Betts at the end of last season when he was producing.

I'd cut Campbell and get it overwith. He is not the future, unless the future is defined by losing year in and year out.

What a smart comment. Cut a quarterback who has been taking hits right and left all year. I guess u expect Campbell to throw his own blocks and hell a good quarterback can throw the ball 70 yards and run down and catch it himself.

What a smart comment. Cut a quarterback who has been taking hits right and left all year. I guess u expect Campbell to throw his own blocks and hell a good quarterback can throw the ball 70 yards and run down and catch it himself.

In case you missed it earlier we decided to not take that post seriously and say we did.

Who I'd cut at the end of the year:

-Todd Wade

-Jason Fabini

-Mark Brunnell

-Phillip Daniels

-Pierson Prioleau

-Brandon Lloyd

All good ideas.

We can probably get a decent trade for Brunell too. A lot of people were interested in him during the preseason. Brunell and Daniels are also a huge drain on our salary cap too.

All good ideas.

We can probably get a decent trade for Brunell too. A lot of people were interested in him during the preseason. Brunell and Daniels are also a huge drain on our salary cap too.

Brunell will be the skins QB coach by next year. Nobody would give us more than a 6th rounder anyway and if we did trade him he would still count against the Skins cap.

I like the part where the OP referred to Nate Clements as an exceptional athlete, thereby inferring that he was worth the cost of his contract.

So we should not to the deals that we have done, but instead give an 8 year, 80 million dollar (22 million guaranteed) contract to a cornerback who isn't even in the top five at his position?

For the record, Clements currently has 1 sack and 3 INTs this year. Also 3 FF apparently. Decent numbers for a CB, but certainly not worth being the HIGHEST PAID DEFENDER IN THE GAME!! I think I'm glad you're not the GM, but really, no one on this board should be. We may not like Cerrato or Gibbs decisions, but if you think you'd be any better, you're deluding yourself.

Oh, and I agree on cutting Brandon Lloyd.

Who I'd cut at the end of the year:

-Todd Wade

-Jason Fabini

-Mark Brunnell

-Phillip Daniels

-Pierson Prioleau

-Brandon Lloyd

Makes alot of sense, add in Portis and Betts then draft us a real power running back with fresh legs. A FA true #1 reciever and address our FS issue. The other thing I would attempt to do (if salary cap allowed) is address the OL and DL issues (Depth and a couple new young faces).

On the coaching situation, if I were Gibbs and I wanted to fulfill my obligation I would simply let Al run the offense and Greg run the defense and Gibbs should enjoy standing on the sidelines on gameday telling them 2 coaches what a good job thier doing and keep up the good work. It is simple "Be a super smart coach".

from the page someone linked to earlier:

Pre June 1st Cuts/Trades

Cornelius Griffin

2008 Salary - 6.166

2008 Dead Cap 4.515 Savings (1.651)

After June 1st Cuts/Trades

Mark Brunnel

2008 Salary - 6.516

2008 Dead Cap 1.516 (savings 5 mil)

2009 Dead Cap 1.498 (Total HIt would be 6.515)

Philip Daniels

2008 Salary 3.757

2008 Pre June 1st Dead Cap 0.771 Savings (2.986)

2008 Post June 1st Dead Cap 0.657 Savings (3.100)

2009 Dead Cap 0.114 Savings (2.057)

Marcus Washington

2008 Salary - 6.445

2008 Dead Cap 2.020 (Savings 4.425)

2009 Dead Cap 2.021 (Total HIt would be 6.521)

Brandon Lloyd

2008 Sallary 4.238

2008 Pre June 1st Dead Cap 7.167 Savings(-2.929)

2008 Post June 1st Dead Cap 1.833 Savings (2.405)

2009 Dead Cap 7.167 (savings -2.482)

Jon Jansen

2008 Salary 8.833

2008 Dead Cap Figure 3.853 (Savings 4.980)

2009 Dead cap 6.750 (savings -3.150)

Shawn Springs

2008 Salary 7.484

2008 Pre June 1st Dead Cap 4.968 Savings (2.516)

2008 Post June 1st Dead Cap 2.484 Savings (5.00)

2009 Dead Cap 2.484 Savings (8.484)

I dont' think its feasible to cut Jansen, too much money owed.

Before June 1st I'd consider cutting at least 2 of the following:

Pre June 1st Cuts/Trades

Cornelius Griffin

2008 Salary - 6.166

2008 Dead Cap 4.515 Savings (1.651)

After June 1st Cuts/Trades

Mark Brunnel

2008 Salary - 6.516

2008 Dead Cap 1.516 (savings 5 mil)

2009 Dead Cap 1.498 (Total HIt would be 6.515 Savings 4.917)

Philip Daniels

2008 Salary 3.757

2008 Pre June 1st Dead Cap 0.771 Savings (2.986)

2008 Post June 1st Dead Cap 0.657 Savings (3.100)

2009 Dead Cap 0.114 Savings (2.057)

OF those three Daniels makes the most sense to Cut Before June 1st as it would free 2.986 That Year.

As For Lloyd, based on the stats on that page, its basically cut him before and pay the piper in 08 or cut him after and pay in 09. So ugh I'm really not liking the choices there. Cutting Griffin before makes more sense to spread the cap hit out, though doing it later helps out a lot more in 08 so eh :/

I don't particularly like Springs Numbers either, and I really think we need to try and hold onto him if we can. Adding smoot helped, but with not knowing Rogers situation. Ugh.

Marcus is one I'd like to replace if we could, but his cap numbers still seem a bit high. I dunno in the end here :/

A really good general manager would try and make the best of what he can. The team is stuck in salary cap hell!!!You realize it will take years of making the right moves to get out of this jam.

The talent level is just medicore on this team and you must go for the rebuilding stage with offensive and defensive line first and work and build around it.

How do you accomplish this? I would draft top lineman and add a few from FA that must be able to pass block and run block at a high level and the defensive line must generate a solid pass rush.Sorry Greg williams but you suck at picking lineman!! We have no pass rush!!!

Why the hell is Brunell still on this team costing us million's?playing for vet min but i still think he is getting the bonuses.

What moron thought it was a good idea to spend 30 million on Brandon Lloyd?Look at the money we could have spent on the line!!!

poor decisions that we never happen with a real G.M.

The Players that should be cut but I would let stay Portis and moss.

Players that we get cut.

Jansen

Brunell

Lloyd

that is just a start.

How many elite teams are champions because they have the best offensive and defensive lines?Think about it!! Start there and good things will happen!!

Jansen? The guy played with two broken thumbs and was still one of the top right tackles.

Wade hasnt been awful, theyve shuffled him between so many slots this year and has been a solid back up.

Griffin and Daniels are constantly shuffled with the younger players that learn from them, I'd keep them.

Moss, Lloyd, and El? Randle El no, Lloyd yes, Moss no. They get open downfield but are constantly overthrown. Not their fault.

Springs? guess by your logic we should get Ade Jimoh to fill in there eh?

I guess Portis being one of the top running backs despite having a shambled o-line isnt enough.

Sadly this isnt Madden, cant hire hall of fame players and get instant success by editing players stats.

We should evaluate the draft first and see what positions we can truly replace. But of all the guys on that list that you said to cut, the only ones I would cut for sure at this point are B Lloyd (worst WR in team history), and Todd Wade. I've thought about dumping Marcus Washington at times because he looks slow to me, yet with how bad our pass rush is, we almost need Marcus on this team. Moss and ARE or keepers, we just need to add a Red Zone WR.

Archived