Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were a GM, who would you cut?

redskins59

Okay, think as a GM. If you had to rebuild this team, which players would you cut? There are certain players who we all love, but they have to go because they're either too old, making too much money or just not getting the job done. We need to build a superbowl winning team. For that too happen, a GM has to be as ruthless as possible. Given the fact that we are 19.5 million above the salary cap this year, there is no doubt in my mind that we will need to cut some players. We need to learn to manage our salary cap effectively from now on. Every year, it seems we need to restructure our players just to get under the salary cap, and that sure isn't a recipe for success. We are the oldest team in the league because we rely on free agency too much. Let next year be a rebuilding year. Assume that other players have restructured to ensure that these players are cut:

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline.

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office.

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches.

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million.

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much.

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him.

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone.

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer.

Assume that we're using the draft to fill up all our holes.

Wow bro, you got rid of our 10 best players.

Jansen can mentor Heyor.

Griffin is by far our best DT and fills up the line.

Who would you plan to be our wrs? You cut the top 3...

Keep Moss; up in the air on Portis; Keep the line together and build the future through the draft.

Who the hell are they going to bring in to replace all those guys? Sounds like you want to gut the team and totaly rebuild. Instead of cutting Shawn Springs they should try and move him to safety. He has lost some speed but he is a good tackler.Brandon Lloyd being cut is a given.

We're 19.5 million above the salary cap. These players sure as hell won't help us get to the superbowl. They're not elite players. They're good, but not elite. What has Moss done for us? Portis? Griffin? Jansen?

If our team is so talented, then why do we struggle so much?

Right now, Lloyd and Springs are the only two players I could see gone next year as far as high profile goes. Springs would stay, but he just costs WAY too much against the cap for an aging injury prone corner. Lloyd is just completely worthless.

Those are the only two of note.

Great Post.

Unfortunately, we should have done this prior to the beginning of this season. If we had done so, we would be one season closer to being a winner.

And if we don't do it at the end of this season? We will be a joke again in the weak nfc.

I would keep ARE and Springs.....the rest I agree with.

Tear it all down.......and build it back up again. There is no other solution.

Also....you forgot the mention the entire coaching staff and Vinny too.

Send them all packing.

Great post.

We're 19.5 million above the salary cap. These players sure as hell won't help us get to the superbowl. They're not elite players. They're good, but not elite. What has Moss done for us? Portis? Griffin? Jansen?

Ahah !! " YOUR TEAM" I see.

BTW...Are we replacing these players with Free players ??

Like every year..Some will go...Most will stay...But you have to upgrade and manage your cap.

YEAH...Dump some of the O-Line...and replace them with the NEW cheap O-lineman right.Remind me what Dock,L.davis,Hutch got ??

They will be able to renegotiate contracts with players that are struggling. Besides, these are the core redskins and you just can't get rid of them all at once. The Skins are going to have the most cap room at the end of this year since Snyder took over.

Okay, think as a GM. If you had to rebuild this team, which players would you cut? There are certain players who we all love, but they have to go because they're either too old, making too much money or just not getting the job done. We need to build a superbowl winning team. For that too happen, a GM has to be as ruthless as possible. Given the fact that we are 19.5 million above the salary cap this year, there is no doubt in my mind that we will need to cut some players. We need to learn to manage our salary cap effectively from now on. Every year, it seems we need to restructure our players just to get under the salary cap, and that sure isn't a recipe for success. We are the oldest team in the league because we rely on free agency too much. Let next year be a rebuilding year. Assume that other players have restructured to ensure that these players are cut:

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline.

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office.

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches.

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million.

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much.

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him.

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone.

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer.

1. I'd go ahead and let him go if there are substantial savings. He says if it doesn't work this year, he thinks the team will let him go. If he offers to give back some of that monster SB, just let him leave.

2. Definitely

3. He makes a reasonable amount of money. I'd keep him, especially if hie can play the last four games like he has the past couple.

4. Keep ARE. This was his first serous season as a receiver and he performed very well. If it weren't for injuries, he would've gone over 1000. He works hard and doesn't drop many balls.

5. Not yet. Keep him for maybe one more season till you know Heyer is ready for sure. He is actually a good personnell guy (does the draft for ESPN) so offer him a position in the front office.

6. Keep him. If you cut him, you save only like 30 grand. I'd rather keep him around for one last year (draft a CB in Day 1...Terrell THomas from USC)

7. Agree, especially if we take a DT in day 1. Offer him a paycut. If he doesn't take it, dump him

8. Keep him around for one more year but take that SLB in Day 2 who will be ready by 2009

9. Let him go immediately. He gets no pressure

10. Yup, le thim go

Injuries and no depth. Young QB and poor coaching is why we've done poorly this year.

Moss had one monster season and then showed why the Jets became disenchanted with him. He just can't stay healthy. When he is healthy, he's a very dangerous weapon.

Portis carried the offense and the team into the playoffs. He's had some fumbles this year but the large problem for him is that the entire right side of the line is in shambles.

This team needs to draft well because it will get old really quick, especially on the offensive line.

I would cut Portis, Moss, Lloyd, Springs, Griffin, Washington, Thomas, Daniels.

We can't cut Jansen because of his new extension. Go ahead and gut the team, bring in some guys who may not be as talented but will at least play hard because Danny hasn't made them multi-millionaires yet. We'll probably lose for two seasons but if they did things right, they could put a decent team out on the field after that. As it stands now, we are just spinning our wheels in a constant shame sprial of suck.

I would cut Portis, Moss, Lloyd, Springs, Griffin, Washington, Thomas, Daniels.

We can't cut Jansen because of his new extension. Go ahead and gut the team, bring in some guys who may not be as talented but will at least play hard because Danny hasn't made them multi-millionaires yet. We'll probably lose for two seasons but if they did things right, they could put a decent team out on the field after that. As it stands now, we are just spinning our wheels in a constant shame sprial of suck.

LOL, are all of you kidding !?!?!

There is a salary cap...There is team chemistry...AND YOU HAVE TO PAY NEW PLAYERS...AS BEST i KNOW.

All the players listed individually have a HUGE cap hit next year. All have to be reworked OR cut loose.

Portis, like him or not, is a HORRIBLE fit in the Gibbs offense. The guy is a finesse runner in a brut force offense. He should be let go to a team who utilizes what he does best. He wont do anything further here but be oft injured.

What would have been nice is some research. You would have found out that most of your moves are not feasible or provide us with NO monetary gain. In some instances' date=' it will COST us money. Here is a link so you can improve your knowledge...

PC's Redskins Salaries and Contracts Pages

Yeah but that is what neeeds to be done at this point. It's like when Marty came in here and cleaned house, and played with all scrubs for a season to get us out of cap hell. Too bad Danny didn't sell enough Zeron Flemmister jerseys that year so he decided to fire him.

Yeah but that is what neeeds to be done at this point. It's like when Marty came in here and cleaned house, and played with all scrubs for a season to get us out of cap hell. Too bad Danny didn't sell enough Zeron Flemmister jerseys that year so he decided to fire him.
My point isn't what or what not needs to be done, it's that what is being proposed by most is IMPOSSIBLE. It's not that we don't want to get rid of some of these guys, it's that we CAN'T. Like I said, all it takes is some research.

My point isn't what or what not needs to be done' date=' it's that what is being proposed by most is IMPOSSIBLE. It's not that we don't want to get rid of some of these guys, it's that we CAN'T. Like I said, all it takes is some research.[/quote']

Lets keep the girl with the bouncing hooters...No need to trade her.

Your thoughts here are flawed. How is the RB position not important? How do you plan on ever controling the game? Everyone knows that in order to be successful, you have to able to RUN the ball. A sound running attack can do so much for a football team and a good RB is where it starts. You also need to have a solid O-Line that can open holes for that RB.

While I agree that Portis is making too much for his production, he is still a good RB. I do think the skins can cut him and not miss anything because I think that L Betts is also a very good RB making a lot less money.

Building up your O-Line and getting a proven coach for the O-Line will help tremondously. Look at what Grimm has done in AZ. They aren't "great" yet but much more of an improvement over last season (they had Edge last season too).

Also, if you think that Addai is avg at best, then you have no idea what talent is. Addai is an excellant back. Sure he has a very good O Line BUT he also has great field of vision which is something you can't teach.

People don't have to agree with me. I was just wondering how we can improve our team. People may have other ways to improve this team. As it stands now, we are 19.5 million above the cap according to Sports Illustrated. I just feel that we need to manage our cap situation better if we need to make our team better. If you don't agree with me, how would you improve our team? Clearly, we have players who're making more money than they deserve. Part of a GM's job is to not overpay your players. This is very important.

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline. (re-negotiate)

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office. (BYE BYE)

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches. (keep,but try and re-negotiate,but no way do you cut our best wr)

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million. (he's been much improved as a WR,he aint worth his contract but he still gets 1 more year.)

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much. (definately ask to take a paycut,but he's still a good RT and those are hard to find)

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him. (re-negotiate,he's still a good corner even if injury prone and we don't need any more holes in this secondary,hopefully snyder sees it the same way)

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone. (re-negotiate for depth or cut)

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.(re-negotiate and let him have a good offseason,he couldnt work out this offseason after hip surgery)

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.(re-negotiate,,shouldnt be a starter anymore, good depth)

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer. (cut,maybe bring back at a lower rate)

Archived