Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were a GM, who would you cut?

redskins59

We're 19.5 million above the salary cap. These players sure as hell won't help us get to the superbowl. They're not elite players. They're good, but not elite. What has Moss done for us? Portis? Griffin? Jansen?

If our team is so talented, then why do we struggle so much?

Million Dollar Question.

Ive been saying the same thing. Although I agree w/your point I think your a bit overboard on cutting all those guys. Some of those guys (perhaps 5) could go but not the whole group. I think part of our problem is we are paying mediocre players like ROCK STARS and part of the problem is the coaching scheme....Joe Gibbs, GW and Saunders. All 3 of them are getting paid like the New England Patriots coaches should be paid yet we have 5 wins a year to show for it.

Okay, think as a GM. If you had to rebuild this team, which players would you cut? There are certain players who we all love, but they have to go because they're either too old, making too much money or just not getting the job done. We need to build a superbowl winning team. For that too happen, a GM has to be as ruthless as possible. Given the fact that we are 19.5 million above the salary cap this year, there is no doubt in my mind that we will need to cut some players. We need to learn to manage our salary cap effectively from now on. Every year, it seems we need to restructure our players just to get under the salary cap, and that sure isn't a recipe for success. We are the oldest team in the league because we rely on free agency too much. Let next year be a rebuilding year. Assume that other players have restructured to ensure that these players are cut:

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline.

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office.

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches.

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million.

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much.

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him.

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone.

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer.

Assume that we're using the draft to fill up all our holes.

You could have saved everyone's time and just said you wanted to cut our entire team.

Originally Posted by SkinzFan007

Who I'd cut at the end of the year:

-Todd Wade

-Jason Fabini

-Mark Brunnell

-Phillip Daniels

-Pierson Prioleau

-Brandon Lloyd

All good ideas.

We can probably get a decent trade for Brunell too. A lot of people were interested in him during the preseason. Brunell and Daniels are also a huge drain on our salary cap too.

Why cut Wade and Prioleau? They are very good backups that dont cost a lot of money.

And exactly who was interested in Brunell this offseason? We'd be lucky to get a bag of dirty jockstraps for him.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Portis and Lloyd, but you gotta keep Moss for one more year and you can't give up on Jansen. Randle El needs to stay, as well. Marcus Washington? He's one of the last guys I would cut. Shawn Springs I wouldn't cut until I saw how the injury to Rodgers is going to affect him.

I know you can't "cut" him, but how about Gregg Williams? Honestly, the guys 3rd down playbook is horrific. I say get rid of Gregg and Saunders, let Gibbs run the offense, and bring in a proven DC.

Why cut Wade and Prioleau? They are very good backups that dont cost a lot of money.

And exactly who was interested in Brunell this offseason? We'd be lucky to get a bag of dirty jockstraps for him.

Seahawks for one, I think they didnt want Charlie Frye tbh.

This coming offseason, there will most likely be one or two teams interested in him - specifically teams looking for a vet QB leader...

I agree that we need to start thinking rebuild. We need to test the market and find out who we have that could bring us some high draft choices. I wouldn't gut the team but I would take a chance and trade one of our elite players for some draft choices. I'll reserve judgment on naming that player based on what their market value may be. The free agent market has only provided us with temp help. Our team needs to draft and home grow some of it's own players. As for coaches, I would consolidate duties back down to a normal staff. There is too much confusion as to who is calling plays. We need a five year plan, not another one and done.

I coudla sworn Jansen renegotiated his contract and took less money. I wonder if he'd be willing to do it again.

Regardless, he aint going anywhere. I dont trust Wade for every down play and he's a good pass blocker, but not a good runblocker.

Daniels, on the other hand, is a solid vet and whomever we draft is gonna learn alot from him if we keep him.

Frankly, I think we should trade Lloyd for a 7th rounder and get as much of the contract off of our balance sheet as possible...

Seahawks for one, I think they didnt want Charlie Frye tbh.

This coming offseason, there will most likely be one or two teams interested in him - specifically teams looking for a vet QB leader...

Rumors, rumors.

No one will give up a draft pick for Brunnell this offseason. He is beyond done and everyone around the league knows it.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Portis and Lloyd, but you gotta keep Moss for one more year and you can't give up on Jansen. Randle El needs to stay, as well. Marcus Washington? He's one of the last guys I would cut. Shawn Springs I wouldn't cut until I saw how the injury to Rodgers is going to affect him.

I know you can't "cut" him, but how about Gregg Williams? Honestly, the guys 3rd down playbook is horrific. I say get rid of Gregg and Saunders, let Gibbs run the offense, and bring in a proven DC.

The Main reason I think we should cut Marcus is because his injuries have a bigger impact in the scheme than anyone other than our Oline. It doesn't look like a good cap decision to do that though, so he probably stays around.

Any front runners in charge of making these tough personnel moves? We don't have the strong personnel guy on board right now. I do agree with cutting some fat and if we have to look at next year as transition...then that is what we have to do. Lets face it....the time has come. I don't like it...it sucks! This has been the worst Redskin week ever!!!

The ST tragedy was a strong kick in the gut...first time I could bring myself to post since that fatal incident. Sean RIP!!!!!!! We love you!!!!!!

As far as those punks in S. Florida.....I hope you die a slow painful death!!!!!

Okay, think as a GM. If you had to rebuild this team, which players would you cut? There are certain players who we all love, but they have to go because they're either too old, making too much money or just not getting the job done. We need to build a superbowl winning team. For that too happen, a GM has to be as ruthless as possible. Given the fact that we are 19.5 million above the salary cap this year, there is no doubt in my mind that we will need to cut some players. We need to learn to manage our salary cap effectively from now on. Every year, it seems we need to restructure our players just to get under the salary cap, and that sure isn't a recipe for success. We are the oldest team in the league because we rely on free agency too much. Let next year be a rebuilding year. Assume that other players have restructured to ensure that these players are cut:

1. Clinton Portis-- He is an above average running back, but he costs way too much. Unless you have an elite RB like Adrian Peterson or LT, I feel that the RB position is not that important. I firmly believe that Addai and Maroney are average RB's at best. They succeed because their passing offense is elite. New England also has an elite offensive line. The most important thing for your RB to succeed is the Oline. Even Chester Taylor could get 1500 easily with that Vikings Oline.

2. Brandon Lloyd: 30 million down the drain and this guy was an unproven commodity in SF. What exactly did he do in San Francisco? Nothing. Free agency should be used only to acquire exceptional athletes like Nate Clements or Larry Fitzgerald. I would bet that we could have acquire Lloyd for 10 million. He had done nothing in SF to deserve 30 million. Boneheaded decision by our front office.

3. Santana Moss: He has to go, because he is too injury prone. Our #1 receiver has to be reliable. Also, it looks like Moss is a one-hit wonder, as he drops way too many easy catches.

4. Antwaan Randle El: Plays with a lot of heart, and I like him as a redskin, but the thing is he is making too much money for a punt returner. He deserves no more than $15 million.

5. Jon Jansen: He is too old and making too much money. He has been a true redskin, but he needs to go, simply because he costs too much.

6. Shawn Springs: Too old and injury prone. Also, it's cheaper to cut him than to keep him.

7. Cornelius Griffin: Again, too old and injury prone.

8. Marcus Washington: Our best pass rusher, but he's also too old. Guy gets injured too easily. He was playing injured last year as well.

9. Philip Daniels: Way too old. He knows he's getting the boot.

10. Todd Wade: We have Heyer.

Assume that we're using the draft to fill up all our holes.

Im all about the New England, Philidelphia Eagles approach when it goes to cutting veteran players. This all starts with a good draft, and im not sure its in this organization at its current state (Scouting, coaching) to have a good draft. We've drafted some good players here, but we've also missed on way more than we should of.

Personally, guys like Springs, Jansen, Washington, Todd Wade, Daniels will likely be cut in the offseason. Im a huge fan of off of these guys , but its time to get young becaue if you look at where these guys play there are in some key positions. Springs will not make 8M next season that just not going to happen, so its basically he resructures or hes gone. Jansen is a tough one because he certainly is a guy Coach Gibbs calls a Core Redskin and hes one of my personal favorites. All that aside i wouldn't be shocked if he is cut. Injury prone , and is starting to get older. Heyer has showed enough promise IMO that he could start at RT next year in which i would be completly comfortable with that. Marcus Washington is another guy who brings a ton of excitment to this defense, but over the past 2 years thats about all hes brought because is play on the field of lacking. Hes very one dimensional in the sense that he can run the QB and play the run decent, but hes awful in coverage hes almost 30 , and at the end of his contract it wouldnt shock me it the Skins also parted ways with him this offseason.

Todd Wade, Daniels are no Brainer cuts to me this off season, and you can even throw Springs on that list if he dosent restructure his deal this offseason. As well as Lloyd (not sure after all my rambling how i somehow i forgot about him).

Cap hits could cripple this team, but its time to start building with young talent we finally have our picks, and we need to use them accordingly.

I would cut Portis, Moss, Lloyd, Springs, Griffin, Washington, Thomas, Daniels.

We can't cut Jansen because of his new extension. Go ahead and gut the team, bring in some guys who may not be as talented but will at least play hard because Danny hasn't made them multi-millionaires yet. We'll probably lose for two seasons but if they did things right, they could put a decent team out on the field after that. As it stands now, we are just spinning our wheels in a constant shame sprial of suck.

Yeah...great...lose for two more seasons....this is absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These players still have 3 years in the tank:

Springs- Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Griffin- Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Washington-Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Thomas-Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Portis: Redo a cap friendly contract for seven years. He retires a Redskin.

Moss: Keep current deal and see how he plays next year

Daniels: Cut

Draft: Kenny Phillips, OL

FA: CB (starting quality), WR (stud), DE (Stud)

Unfortunately the fans of the Redskins are a "win now" attitude. Hate to break it to you, OP, but if you cut all the players you want to...we won't be winning for a long long time. You have to hold on to Moss, but also have to find a WR that can allow Moss to play with ARE in the slot. With McCardell on the field you have seen that this has allowed Moss to play much much better over the last couple of weeks. In my opinion, we don't have to spend BLloyd money to get someone to serve this purpose. I would like to see if Mix could be that guy before we go sign any more players in the offseason.

Yeah...great...lose for two more seasons....this is absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These players still have 3 years in the tank:

Springs- Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Griffin- Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Washington-Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Thomas-Redo a three year deal cap friendly

Portis: Redo a cap friendly contract for seven years. He retires a Redskin.

Moss: Keep current deal and see how he plays next year

Daniels: Cut

Draft: Kenny Phillips, OL

FA: CB (starting quality), WR (stud), DE (Stud)

Some questions.

The team wanted Springs to take a paycut last year. Why would they want to give him more money this year? (I assume all your "cap-friendly" deals just mean converting salary into signing bonuses).

Do you really want to give Griffin another huge signing bonus? It would probably take $10 or $11 million to get him to restructure. Is he worth it? If you give Griffin this kind of money, aren't you pretty much out of the running for any type of impact pass rusher?

Do you really think Portis has four years left in the tank? A seven year deal would almost certainly guarantee at least 4 more years of him.

Finally, why do we want to keep together a team that is likely looking at its 3rd non-winning season out of 4? We aren't trying to save the Eagles of '00 to '04 here.

What you are largely proposing is throwing out the '06 and '07 Redskins again, just a year older and minus their best defender. I don't see how this works.

By the way, I think that loss of Taylor and the injury to Rogers suddenly makes Springs invaluable to this team. If he walks in the off-season, you probably are looking at an opening day secondary of Smoot-Landry-Doughty-some random corner from FA.

I don't see this ending well.

Springs could demand a three-year extension for more pay right now and be entitled to it. I just wonder how the Front Office (which more than anything hates to lose these types of battles) will react.

Right now, the only people I'd get rid of are Lloyd, Wade, and one of the QBs in exchange for a project 3rd stringer or a younger more capable backup. The older guys like Jansen, Griffin, and Daniels would be on the bubble in camp but I would not let them go unless I had a damn good young replacement. I think we already started this process by letting go the much beloved Wynn and Salave'a. We all love our vets but if a kid comes along who can challenge them, you have to take a good look.

I think the team has done an excellent job finding and holding onto some younger talent this year at the expense of painful cuts.

Archived