Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon is STILL blaming Sean Taylor. Incredible.

Broohaha

As for my comments, much of the anger was generated by me saying I wasn't surprised at the tragedy in South Florida of a week ago. I have friends and family members who were ticked at me, and perhaps understandably so...But would people rather me have lied and faked being stunned? What would that have proven?

That didn't make Sean Taylor's death any less tragic or less senseless or less violent or less depressing. I'm not going to phony it up so some people will agree with me or pat me on the head. Those of you who felt similarly, fine. Those of you who felt differently and shocked, fine. We don't need to agree in this country. In fact, disagreement that sparks discussion we wouldn't otherwise have is healthy. People who simply want to have nice, comfy conversation are free to look elsewhere for it. But I don't do what I do to find agreement all the time.

As it turns out following the arrests, it appears Sean was not targeted, as I suspected. But it appears his home was targeted, which by definition makes it not random.

Those of you who are upset that I wrote that Sean's past and his associations had likely caught up with him should stop screaming and burying your heads under the pillow and read the comments from his lifelong friend, Antrelle Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals who talked forcefully and with insight when he said his dear friend of 18 years was afraid to go to Miami in recent trips because he thought people were after him...Rolle's words, not mine.

This is what I was talking about last week when I said just because Sean was in the process of changing his life doesn't mean others would let him, or that a complete change is possible in months (18 months, according to Joe Gibbs)...His own cousin talked about how people wanted Sean to leave South Florida because they feared something would happen. His cousin't words, not mine.

Those of you who thought that column was printed too soon...perhaps it was. But it didn't appear the day after Sean died, it appeared two days after. The Washington Post ran dozens of pieces, many talking about Sean's career and impact in this community and in South Florida. That's what we attempt to do, look at 360 degrees of an issue, in this case a tragic one. Is it going to turn out that the people who murdered Sean were in any way connected to his past? Perhaps not.

Whether it was random, connected, or something in between, the only thing I can wish now is that he had been healthy enough to play and not in South Florida for any reason. And I can hope that the senseless violence that visits American communities so often, for whatever reason, and whether it's random or part of some sick pattern, can simply stop...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/28/DI2007112801721.html

I understand what he's saying, and I don't think he's wrong.

Just because his cynicism was proved incorrect doesn't mean that the cynicism was unwarranted in the first place.

Please don't twist this comment into anything more than it is. Sean Taylor was, is, and probably always will be my favorite Redskin.

As it turns out following the arrests, it appears Sean was not targeted, as I suspected. But it appears his home was targeted, which by definition makes it not random.

so it's his fault that he was a gifted athlete and earned his money by playing proffesional football????

Those of you who thought that column was printed too soon...perhaps it was. But it didn't appear the day after Sean died, it appeared two days after.

Oh, well excuse us, TWO days after instead of one. :rolleyes:

Well whoopdie-freakin'-do.

On the other hand, most sensible people might think waiting until after the funeral and the man was laid to rest in the ground (or, gasp, until some actual information about the case came out) out of respect for the dead would be a better time to reflect on such possibilities. But oh well, live and learn.

Wilbon is seemingly blaming Miami and Southern Florida, and not Sean Taylor. He said some real nitwitted things, but Southern Miami is not the safest place to be, and everyone knows it.

Sean lived his life the way he wanted to, no one can fault him for that.

so it's his fault that he was a gifted athlete and earned his money by playing proffesional football????

he's not saying it's Sean's fault.

What is the insistence on this board with thinking everything the media says about us or our players is personal???

Wilbon was doing his job and made assumptions based on info he had. I'm sorry he didn't do puff pieces on Sean but some reporters look for answers and that is what he was doing.

For some reason Wilbon must think that our anger with his statements would exist beyond a simple apology. I like Wilbon, always have, and would gladly forgive his statements if he simply asked for it. Instead, he seems bound and commmitted to his inappropriately timed sentiment.

Whether they be reporters, friends, family members, etc, human beings have been blessed with the ability to have feelings, and communicate, but more importantly, the ability to communicate feelings at the appropriate time.

I can not help but feel this way, particularly after witnessing the funeral. Would he have concluded a eulogy with, "Well, I'm not surprised"? No, he wouldn't. Why? Because it's not a decent thing to do, even if you feel that way.

I'm not "surprised" with his choice to stand up for his inappropriate behavior, "thugs" behave in a similar fashion. A simple apology, and I'm certain the Skins nation will forgive you.

they are all full of sh*t. they can hide behind literal words all they want, but we all know what he was insinuating. taylor was a thug, he hung out with gang members, and they came to kill him because he was mixed up with bad people and he did something wrong. lets be real, thjats what everyone assumed and everyone was insinuating with their comments.

that isnt the case. time for some f'ng apologies. and guys who dont, like wilbon, who want to hide behind some editorial diatribe...you are cowards.

Haha, I can't help but laugh at all this. Of course you weren't suprised Wilbon, because you made a decision on what kind of person Sean was in life and death before knowing all the facts...simply based on assumption. It doesn't even matter what you heard former teammates say about Sean being afraid people were out to get him because now we know that is not the case. And the funny thing is you came to your conclusion even BEFORE hearing Antrelle Rolle's statements. Now of course you are entitled to your own opinion and of course we do not want you to lie about your feelings, but that doesnt change the fact what you've said was in extremely bad form and shows that you lack compassion for fellow human beings as you move on into old age.

He was guilty of bad timing and he admitted it. I think what he is truly attempting to do is bring awareness to all the lives being lost to young black men to violent crime. It is just coming across as a dis to Sean.

Good thing we have people like Wilbon to inform us that young black lives are being lost to violent crime. Maybe I'm just more informed than most but I was already aware of it.

Rolle and Seans cousin isn't a sports writer with a national audience. Wilbon doesn't seem to understand that it wasn't what he said but when he said it. He doesn't understand that non Redskin fans won't take the time to "know" Sean Taylor the way that we do and will only remember him as the "athlete with the checkered past". Thats sad, very sad. He should be remebered not only as a great football player but as a role model and hero for protecting his family. Where are those words Wilbon?

Wilbon has an incesant need to try and appear "down" with the black community. He's no more "down" than my white ass. He should apologise for being an incensitive jerk.

I think the thread title is misleading and inaccurate. Reading Wilbon's comments as "blaming Sean Taylor" seems to me to miss the point totally.

I would have to agree. I think you might want to consider changing the title to "Wilbon is not changing his stance that Sean Taylor's past didn't catch up to him" Just my opinion.

For the record I don't agree with Wilbon said nor do I accept any of his attempted explanations.

Good thing we have people like Wilbon to inform us that young black lives are being lost to violent crime. Maybe I'm just more informed than most but I was already aware of it.

I think we are all aware of it, but nothing is being done about it. That is his point I believe. I am not saying I agree with him, just trying to understand what he may be trying to convey.

Look, Wilbon didn't even address the most offensive aspects of what he said, specifically:

That Sean "embraced, and refused to disown a violent gangster lifestyle" or something like that. Total crap.

Secondly, his insinuation that Dan Snyder and the "Redskins p.r. machine" were spreading a false image of Sean as a misunderstood young man who had really gotten his life together. Wilbon basically accused Clinton, 'Tana and all the people who spoke lovingly about Sean of being stoops for Dan Snyder....of whitewashing Sean's image on marching orders from their corporate master.

"I'm not letting a corporation with its own pr agenda tell me about how a black man feels."

All of these quotes are paraphrased from my memory, and they still piss me the hell off.

Wilbon has lost all credibility as a decent member of the media, IMO. He should shut the hell up, instead he continues to pull his foot out of his mouth and incredibly, as if on a spring hinge, it goes flying back in.

This coward uses the ONE person who said something of ST that goes against what hundreds of Seans closest entities have said of Sean to make his case.

Wilbon is now taking this opportunity to be an attention whore. How else can you explain it? He isn't apologizing for being the jackass that he is, he continues to come out and defend how he feels. We've heard you already Wilbon, now stop using this as a stage for recognition. If you had half the class of Sean, you'd have left your foot in your mouth the first time.

The trouble with Wilbon is he uses the sports column to make comments and inferences about circumstances outside of the game that he doesn't fully comprehend.

As it turns out Taylor's demise had nothing to do with any 'street grievances' or 'payback' from guys he met while at the U.

It was rather Taylor's generosity to his sister and his family in letting them use his house and invite friends into his compound that seemingly caused a couple of these idiots to hatch a plan to rob him.

Wilbon is guilty of doing what he claims the 'white' media does all the time, namely stereotype the athlete of color.

Ok thanks Wilbon for clearing up your statement of how Sean wasn't targeted but your arguement remains valid because his house was still targeted therefore it wasn't random.

Now if you could just clearify your other quote. Remember? It was that one that went something like this, "Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it"

I'm going to take it "violent world" must have been a metaphor for "family" with Taylor lossing his own life in order to protect the lives of his girlfriend and child.

Not only are you a soulless heartless coward as a person, but you also brought shame to your profession in giving your opinion on a subject and person you had done very little research on. Go get a job for one of those hoaxy tabloid magazines where you can use that natural instinct you have about people to guess who is pregnant or who's dating who.

Archived