Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

who would you hire as coach? (merged)

CommishDC

I don't care if it's Williams, Grimm or Cowher, but whoever it is, I think it's going to be very important to keep Al Saunders, to allow Campbell to grow in this system. Remove Gibbs, and Saunders handcuffs will disappear.

If we lose Saunders too, though, Campbell will have to endure learning another system, which would take much too long with as much talent as we already have on hand.

just curious, i love grimm of course from his playing days, but does anyone here actually know what kind of a coach he'd be? what kind of offense would he run? would it really be all that different from gibbs? i mean, i think of a former o-line guy as coach, i think power running, which is what we do now.

i still think the grilliams/saunders combo should stay put.

Coach Taylor.

I like his candor....and I just had a baby last month and I feel his pain.

ab93d4d0-7359-49b9-8209-b28da494cd82.widec.jpg

:laugh: Now THERE'S a coach. Glad to see I'm not the only person that watches Friday Night Lights. Honestly if we found a coach in real life just like Eric Taylor from the show, I'd be absolutely stoked.

In all seriousness, I actually want to see what Gregg Williams could do for us as a HC. With him, we'd have continuity for this team, and I believe that's crucial for the development of all our young players. If he fails like he did in Buffalo, then I say bring in Russ Grimm.

jason garrett

Careful. Sometimes coaches are only as good as their personnel. Take Brian Belichik for example. He doesn't have Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Jake Reed, Robert Smith Leroy Hoard and Randall Cunningham on the B-more offense. He(Bilichik) was called a offensive genius in Minnesota but B-more's offense stinks. People wonder why he hasn't had half the success offensively in B-more. Well look at the personnel/ :2cents:

I think Russ Grimm could get it, but I am not certain.

My personal choice would be Ron Rivera. He knows the 4-3 and Cover 2 and is becoming immersed in the 3-4 with San Diego this season. True, he isn't an offensive guy but as a head coach, you learn as you go. Plus, he can hire his own offensive coordinator to help him out. I think it is about time Rivera gets a chance, and I think he would be great in Washington.

Careful. Sometimes coaches are only as good as their personnel. Take Bill Belichik for example. He doesn't have Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Jake Reed, Robert Smith Leroy Hoard and Randall Cunningham on the B-more offense. He(Belichik) was called a offensive genius in Minnesota but B-more's offense stinks. People wonder why he hasn't had half the success offensively in B-more. Well look at the personnel/ :2cents:

I think you mean Brian Billick, right?

My vote is for Cowher. I don't want Jason Garrett because he is the Cowboys' OC, and we've been down that road before. I also wouldn't go with Russ Grimm because he is an old O-lineman who will probably be too much like Gibbs. Sure, some will say Cowher coaches in a similar style, but Cowher possesses a fire that not many coaches have. He gets in players' faces, he gets angry at the refs, spittle flies from his mouth, he pats guys on the back so hard when they do well that he probably hurts his hands, etc.

Most importantly, the team needs an excellent GM. I don't want to see any coaches coming in on the condition that they are the final say in all personnel matters. Being HC is enough of a job for one man to do. They don't need to be doing two jobs at once.

I think you mean Brian Billick, right?

My vote is for Cowher. I don't want Jason Garrett because he is the Cowboys' OC, and we've been down that road before. I also wouldn't go with Russ Grimm because he is an old O-lineman who will probably be too much like Gibbs. Sure, some will say Cowher coaches in a similar style, but Cowher possesses a fire that not many coaches have. He gets in players' faces, he gets angry at the refs, spittle flies from his mouth, he pats guys on the back so hard when they do well that he probably hurts his hands, etc.

Most importantly, the team needs an excellent GM. I don't want to see any coaches coming in on the condition that they are the final say in all personnel matters. Being HC is enough of a job for one man to do. They don't need to be doing two jobs at once.

Yeah I did mean Brian. I agree also that the Skins need a GM.

I don't know who I want but I know who I don't - I don't want a former Cowboy (and not just because of Norvelous) and I don't want an older guy that's already accomplished a lot in the NFL. We need somebody young and hungry. I've seen enough of older guys with great resumes who have been there and done that but are on the retirement side of things.

I love Joe Gibbs to death, both as a coach and a person, and I've defended him without reserve since he came back, but it's clear it's time to move on.

JOE GIBBS!!!! Holy crap, can we as fans at least stick behind our coach for one day?! Gibbs made a mistake. So what, all coaches do. None have had to do what Gibbs did today. You people need to let off the Gibbs must go crap for a little while. This team is going through enough right now. Besides, Gibbs has this team close, and if you don't see that, then you're not watching the games. He can't control the fact that the players have made their fair share of mistakes in the past weeks. All he can do is prepare his team the best he can, then hope that they execute the game plan without mistakes. In the last four losses, it's not the coaching that has cost them the games, it's the damn turnovers! This is exactly what has been wrong with this team for a long time - let's take the kneejerk reaction and fire a coach cause someone else MIGHT be able to win. I hate seeing the Skins lose as much as anyone. If you guys are going to have your "Get rid of Gibbs" conversation, at least have the decency to give it a week or two.

Guest Rafterman

Anyone who wants Grimm is either very naive or clueless.

There is a reason that no one has given Russ a shot in 15 years, HE"S NOT HC MATERIAL!

Bill Cowher, or a good up and comer like Mike Tomlin.

We need someone young, I really like the approach that the Nationals have taken with Acta. He doesn't cost much, he brings a new attitude, and he's close with the players. The NFL equivalent would be Mike Tomlin. I think this is a much better avenue over a proven coach that may come for 2-4 years, like Cowher.

Guest Rafterman
JOE GIBBS!!!! Holy crap, can we as fans at least stick behind our coach for one day?! Gibbs made a mistake. So what, all coaches do. None have had to do what Gibbs did today. You people need to let off the Gibbs must go crap for a little while. This team is going through enough right now. Besides, Gibbs has this team close, and if you don't see that, then you're not watching the games. He can't control the fact that the players have made their fair share of mistakes in the past weeks. All he can do is prepare his team the best he can, then hope that they execute the game plan without mistakes. In the last four losses, it's not the coaching that has cost them the games, it's the damn turnovers! This is exactly what has been wrong with this team for a long time - let's take the kneejerk reaction and fire a coach cause someone else MIGHT be able to win. I hate seeing the Skins lose as much as anyone. If you guys are going to have your "Get rid of Gibbs" conversation, at least have the decency to give it a week or two.

Good God! :doh:

How many more weeks does he get to prove he can't do it?

We made the playoffs on Gibbs coaching - he then moved away from it after listening to everyone say his offense stinks. Well we have way to many coaches now - I want to see the number pared back and Gibbs to have one last chance in 08.

In 09 who knows it all depends on 08.

Tom

Good God! :doh:

How many more weeks does he get to prove he can't do it?

I want him to come back next season. Campbell will have a full year of starts under his belt, and they can continue to develop him into the great-quarterback-in-the-making that he appears to be. Like I said, player mistakes cost them the last 4 games. Most of them were by Campbell who is still learning. So, do you blame that on Gibbs? Cause the way I see it, his team was in position to win all 4 of those games, and it was player mistakes that lost them.

Archived