Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christian Perspective on Capital Punishment

slinky

I guess this probably should go in Tailgate... but after reading about the detaining of the 3 men in connection with Sean's death I felt like this is a worthy post in the stadium considering there is a lot more talk about Capital Punishment and what to do with these people should they be found guilty of the crime.

I am not going to preach on the issue or subject anyone to my own personal beliefs... but I will instead let you listen to a very well presented Biblical view on Capital Punishment from Todd Phillips, the teaching pastor at the Frontline ministry at Mclean Bible Church.

Ironically enough this was given on November 25th... the day before this tragedy.

Does the Bible support or condemn Capital Punishment? Listen now to what Todd has to say.

http://www.frontlinedc.com/uploads/FL112507.mp3

stbvs1.gif

stbvs1.gif

stbvs1.gif

Correct.

well.. as would many of the other threads here... but if the mods want to move it then so be it... i felt this was very relevant to the Sean Taylor discussions going on in the Stadium in regards to what to do with the 3 if they are found guilty ... so that is where I felt initially where it should be posted.

If I worked iin the corrections system, I couldn't be the one to push the button or pull the trigger to sentence one to death. Even though anger would make me feel one should die for killing my loved one. Its just that I think that God is the ultimate judge. Who am I to try and do his job. My flesh though would want to give street justice myself.

1. I've always found it interesting how the conservative moral majority could favor the death penalty...

Funny how they can look past that whole "THOU SHALL NOT KILL" thing when the mood suits them.

I looked in the bible and saw no exceptions to that commandment to include criminals etc.

Just wondering how they justify that...

God allows governments, to serve as the sword to the bad deed, if they feel what is done is deserving of death then so be it, no matter what happens God will judge all.

Maybe that is the 11th Commandment I've been missing:

Thou shalt create governments in order to circumvent the first 10 commandments that I have bestowed upon you.

:doh:

As my faith grows, I find myself questioning capital punishment. I am currently taking a class called War: Bible to Islam and we just finished talking about early Christianity. Jesus taught peace and love. It is hard to think I could not forgive.

Well it is easy to say that until someone murders someone close to you.

In cases like that when it is you and your family/friends then forgiveness becomes next to impossible.

Folks in that situation want justice....

Enter my new 11th commandment...

Thou shalt have governments in order to circumvent the first 10 commandments I have bestowed upon you.

Well it is easy to say that until someone murders someone close to you.

In cases like that when it is you and your family/friends then forgiveness becomes next to impossible.

I agree with you. I am still under the thought that if someone close to me is hurt, I would want to hurt the perpetrator. But I am trying to be a different man today. I want to think that I would be able to forgive, but chances are I am not.

God forbid I am ever placed in a situation like this.

Maybe that is the 11th Commandment I've been missing:

Thou shalt create governments in order to circumvent the first 10 commandments that I have bestowed upon you.

:doh:

You seem to miss a lot :laugh:

Read about when Israel decided they wanted a King like all the other countries,the Judges God set over his people,ect....and look a little deeper into the word translated "kill". ;)

I agree with you. I am still under the thought that if someone close to me is hurt, I would want to hurt the perpetrator. But I am trying to be a different man today. I want to think that I would be able to forgive, but chances are I am not.

God forbid I am ever placed in a situation like this.

It is situations like this that lead me to believe that forgiveness is beyond human capability.

If their is a God...this is where he/she/it steps in

You seem to miss a lot :laugh:

Read about when Israel decided they wanted a King like all the other countries,the Judges God set over his people,ect....and look a little deeper into the word translated "kill". ;)

Well that sounds interesting but.....I do not think appointment by God is part of the selection process for current judges.

As you suggested I looked into the word kill....not sure what your point was though. Please enlighten me.

Well that sounds interesting but.....I do not think appointment by God is part of the selection process for current judges.

As you suggested I looked into the word kill....not sure what your point was though. Please enlighten me.

In the original Hebrew, the word was "murder", or an unjustified killing...killing a convicted murderer or killing in self-defense is NOT a violation of the Commandment...not that I give a rat's ass about religion, anyway... :laugh:

I'll take the Ten AMENDMENTS over the Ten Commandments, thank you! :cheers:

In the original Hebrew, the word was "murder", or an unjustified killing...killing a convicted murderer or killing in self-defense is NOT a violation of the Commandment...not that I give a rat's ass about religion, anyway... :laugh:

I'll take the Ten AMENDMENTS over the Ten Commandments, thank you! :cheers:

Thanks for the kill-murder information

My life has been a lot more productive since I decided to chuck religion

:cheers:

Thats the problem you get into when you wish to apply a mix of secular and Christian beliefs...God doesn't compromise,yet he allows us to if we insist.

NOVA2Tampa covered the kill/murder,but if you can't understand I'll dig up a link.

Thats the problem you get into when you wish to apply a mix of secular and Christian beliefs...God doesn't compromise,yet he allows us to if we insist.

NOVA2Tampa covered the kill/murder,but if you can't understand I'll dig up a link.

My guess is a God doesn't compromise but those who believe thinks he/she/it does.

I'm against the death penalty. In all cases.

My best friend was murdered five years ago. Shot. **** really ****ed me. I grew up with dude. Best friends since 2nd grade. I was angry. I was furious. I would've done anything to find out who did it. They never caught the people though. And even then, if they did, I wouldn't support the death penalty for them.

As DCMoney said, that's on God. Who am I to decide such a thing?

I'm anti-death penalty, and have become moreso since I have become more religious.

In my mind, if you follow Scripture, anyone who undergoes a sincere conversion and transformation towards Christianity is saved, regardless of past offences. That is, if a prisoner on death row has a sincere conversion to Christianity and finds Jesus, then, according to the Bible, he is to be saved in the afterlife. If that transformation is sincere, than he/she is no longer the same person who had commited the heinous crimes, and if you believe that someone is represented by their mind/soul and not their body, then you are merely executing their body instead. However, since you can not measure the sincerity of such a conversion, you can not have them forego their temporal punishment, which would be a prison sentence. Wouldn't you, as a Christian, attempt to give someone as long as possible to find God?

This does not excuse their prior actions, but to me there is a big difference between life in prison and execution. I do not see why executing someone is necessary, when locking them up and hoping for genuine reformation is still an option.

Sorry if this post was an incoherent mess, just thought I'd chip in.

Genesis 9:6--"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." This verse speaks of a murderer, one who knowingly and violently sheds another man's blood, resulting in death.

This law was handed down prior to the 10 commandments. It speaks directly to murder of another human being.

It meshes with the verses on an eye for and eye, where it talks about the punishment matching the crime.

What I've always found curious is how people who support abortion, can be opposed to the death penalty

I'm against the death penalty. In all cases.

My best friend was murdered five years ago. Shot. **** really ****ed me. I grew up with dude. Best friends since 2nd grade. I was angry. I was furious. I would've done anything to find out who did it. They never caught the people though. And even then, if they did, I wouldn't support the death penalty for them.

As DCMoney said, that's on God. Who am I to decide such a thing?

So you think there will be a judgment after you die?

1. I've always found it interesting how the conservative moral majority could favor the death penalty...

Funny how they can look past that whole "THOU SHALL NOT KILL" thing when the mood suits them.

I looked in the bible and saw no exceptions to that commandment to include criminals etc.

Just wondering how they justify that...

Actually 'thrtzch means murder

The Jewish system had the avenger of blood who could kill someone guilty of murder.

I was thinking of starting a thread abou, "has the sean Taylor murder changed your view of capital punishment?" I'll post it here and see if there are any responses.

It could change it either way if you think about it. Maybe you didn't believe in it then when Sean was killed it could've changed your mind. OR the opposit. Maybe you did believe in it, but with this tragedy, maybe a death sentance is too easy on the guilty parties. Would it be better for them to spend life in prison and live out thier next60 years in prison?

Or just go "eye for an eye" on them and get it overwith?

Archived