Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will watching The Redskins ever be the same?

Riggins Seventy Chip

On just about every Sunday during the season, for about as long as I can remember, I have watched Redskins games. I have looked forward to Sundays, even during losing seasons. These games gave me an escape from the world. They were a simple pleasure, something that I could count on, a time to put aside my routine, gather with friends, or even just watch alone. Sports is entertainment and what wonderful entertainment the Redskins have been. Following this team, for me from the first Superbowl wins to now, has been engrossing and fulfilling.

The Redskins are one of my oldest and enduring relationships, in a way. They have provided some of my best childhood memories and as an adult have provided a reliable pleasure and escape every Sunday during the season. Selfishly, I feel like when Sean Taylor was murdered, the purity of what the Redskins meant to me in my life, has now been forever destroyed. No longer are the Skins an escape from the world. The violence of our society has infiltrated this simple, pure escape. I will still be watching the games on Sundays, but it will never be the same.

This is a horrible tragedy, God bless Sean Taylor and his family.

Sure it will. Nothing is gonna hold me back from tuning into the Redskins. Even in the midst of this horrible tradjedy. I think Sean Talylor would want us not to reflect so much on his death but rather focus on the team. We as fans as well as the team are gonna move on to the next chapter. That's what Sean would want us to do.

It will eventually be the same. We will never forget Sean, but there will always be new players to be excited about, like this year with LaRon, previous years when we drafted LaVar or Patrick.

While we will never forget, we shall always honor him, and root for his brothers on the field.

Not for a very long time for me. I will forever wear #21.

I always looked forward to seeing Sean out there... I didn't even know the guy, but I'm so torn up over this. Feel like I lost family.

I wish I could be at the game Sunday, watching on TV just doesn't feel right. I feel like I need to be there.

For you guys who are going, make us proud.

HAIL!

No, for the next 7years when he would be in the secondary..its gonna be hard to imagine the "what if"... how many times did we say if ST was playing against dallas that TO would not have been a factor... so for me, its going be hard to watch secondary and imagine how the secondary would be with Meast

Not really. I mean... I'll still watch, still cheer with the best of them, but I don't think I'll ever get over the feeling that something is missing. That someone was taken from us.

Sean was special. He made even losing efforts a joy to watch at times, if only because he gave himself entirely to the game on every down, every play. He WAS the Redskins in a lot of ways, and it will never be the same without him.

we'll all eventually get back to normal, and argue with each other on this board about who sucks and who doesnt, and whos fault it was for blowing the 28 point halftime lead, and why we keep drafting secondary (although it makes sense currently) and whether or not campbell is responsible for losing games and blah blah blah.

and at some point watching football will feel normal again, although i dont think itll happen this season, probably next year. these next 5 games are gonna feel really awkward.

Nothing is ever the same, but things always return to normal.

We will cheer and many will even boo soon enough. There will be a shadow that will last for a while, but it will recede. When my Grandmother passed a few years ago, it took a while, but eventually, thoughts of her stopped invading my head daily. She's not gone. She's not less loved. Life just forces you to keep going forward.

Yes it will. I was a Maryland student during the Len Bias years. That was every bit as traumatic as this sad event. But you rebound and move on.

Thank you so much. I was only 7 at the time but as a UMD Alum, I was wondering if anyone had attended the school during the Len Bias tragedy.

In our darkest hour, the fact that YOU said everything is going to be alright has given me a ray of hope that someday, things might feel normal again.

I will remember this event for the rest of my life.

Sean Taylor - R.I.P. :point2sky

Grown men are not suppose to cry. I found myself feeling silly shedding tears for this, then I broke down. I really loved Sean Taylor and his appraoch to the game. I was pulling for him to become the player we thought he would be. I found myself investing time to get to know him the player and the back ground he came from. Now he's gone. And the more I know the worst I feel. For me I feel like this is our Len Bias. It took the Celtics decades to get over that tragedy, and to many they never did. I will wathc the Skins, but not this year. There is just to much pain for me. I can't believe this ****.

I think that, in time, Redskins football will be the same again. I don't know, however, if I will ever allow myself to get so attached to a single player on the team again.

Most of the other Redskins could come and go, and it would be a minor impact, but Sean was by FAR my favorite player. It was an issue that I had said, should Sean not be resigned by the Redskins, I would follow him to wherever free agency brought him. It's because of that, that his death has hit me so hard.

Yes it will. I was a Maryland student during the Len Bias years. That was every bit as traumatic as this sad event. But you rebound and move on.

That's what I was gonna say. The last 5 games will be really hard, but when they crack open the pads in June for Mini-Camps, we'll all be back in the mood for Redskins football. The KC Chiefs got over Derrick Thomas. The Vikings with Korey Stringer and the Broncos with Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. Things will eventually get back to normal. Just takes time. It's been 24 hours since he passed, so thinking about games really isn't on anyone's mind at the moment. But when Sunday rolls around, football will be back. The show must go on.

The rest of this season wont be the same for sure, I dont know when it will feel normal for me again, I dont know if it ever will. For years to come I will probably say man if Taylor was here he would have made that play, or man Taylor would have knocked that guy out or man I wonder how good Taylor would be right now... Now that I think about it its going to take a long long time to ever get back to normal... I dont ever want someone to try and become the next Taylor I just want Sean Taylor back but thats not going to happen. So to answer your question it wont be the same for a long time.

Guest ComebackKing

the Redskins will never be the same on the field but in your heart they can be the same in time. I think time will heal some of these feelings most of us are having now. People who say they will never truly enjoy Redskins on Sunday's right now need to let some time pass. We are all still extremely shocked over what's just happened.

Archived