Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Macklin - What the...??

LaVarIsDaMan

What a waste of talent. This guy can play and he has proven it by being a starter for both the Colts and Cards. Evidentally he doesn't fit in to GW's package defenses. Sometimes, IMO, I think our coaches get too caught up in package situations and they should just let the players play more than one down and get into rhythm.

As a freshman in HS, Macklin guarded Allen Iverson in a basketball game, a game which Iverson scored well-below his season average. Now tell me can he play???

And Santana Moss said that Antonio "butter-fingers" Brown was the greatest athlete he'd ever seen.

yet another guy who doesnt play for god knows why. if hes bad, its yet another bad move by our front office. either way, somebody screwed up.

For goodness sakes, he's a guy who makes the veteran minimum.

Some just want to look at things negatively, rather thank think of the possibility that Eubanks and Torrence may have actually passed him on the depth chart because they have played well.

Jason

I've been wondering the same thing lately, seeing how thin we are at corner. I thought Macklin could play, but maybe it has more to do with familiarity than anything else. With the exception of Smoot, all the other corners and DBs pretty much knew the defense from playing in it before. These coaches put a lot of stock in system experience, so maybe that has something to do with it. Not saying I agree with that logic, just throwing it out there.

Bottom line is Macklin should get some playing time, we need all the help we can get at corner this week.

He signed for almost the vet minimum.

If he was that great to begin with,AZ wouldn't have let him go. :2cents:

Exactly. We signed him as depth, NOT as a starter. Since the start of the season Torrence and Eubanks have likely shown better on the practice field.

Whether it's because they are younger, more talented, or both, the fact remains that Macklin is depth/insurance....just because he started in the NFL before coming to DC, doesn't mean he's still starter worthy today.

Still, it feels good knowing that if Springs went down, we wouldn't have to rush out and sign Rodney Brickfoot off the Browns' practice squad just to dress enough DB's.

I've never thought that David was pro bowl material or anything. I just wanted to know if there was a specific reason he wasn't getting on the field considering the experience he has. I thought..maybe he's hurt or something. I'm all for playing the better players and if that's the case...then hey...it's all good. I was just wondering if there was something specific going on w/him. I know he signed here to be close to his family and if he's willing to accept not playing in order to be close to his family....that's on him. I guess I wouldn't complain if I rode the bench and made decent money. Pay me to do nothing but practice?..Sign my check and I'll laugh all the way to the bank. I like him..I hope he gets playing time at some point.

Eh, don't forget the Lavar Arrington situation; Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams are just biased against Penn State players. That's my best guess. If you need more proof, look no further than Brandon Noble. He was selfishly allowed to get some sort of leg infection which almost killed him. It's not enough for these coaches to bench Nittany Lions, they have to almost let them die.
:doh:

wtf?

I've never thought that David was pro bowl material or anything. I just wanted to know if there was a specific reason he wasn't getting on the field considering the experience he has. I thought..maybe he's hurt or something. I'm all for playing the better players and if that's the case...then hey...it's all good. I was just wondering if there was something specific going on w/him. I know he signed here to be close to his family and if he's willing to accept not playing in order to be close to his family....that's on him. I guess I wouldn't complain if I rode the bench and made decent money. Pay me to do nothing but practice?..Sign my check and I'll laugh all the way to the bank. I like him..I hope he gets playing time at some point.

Unfortunately our coaching staff loves to bring in players and not play them. It just seems to be a sad fact of this staff. I used to question it too but now I just accept it. It seems to be working for me!

Didn't someone say a while back that they're not dressing him unless they actually need him for a game because the coaches think the talent level between him and Torrence is about the same, and Torrence is playing on special teams? So if they have to choose between the two, they pick Torrence over Macklin because he plays double duty.

yet another guy who doesnt play for god knows why. if hes bad, its yet another bad move by our front office. either way, somebody screwed up.

This is no way in the magnitude of the Arch and Lloyd signings. Macklin was not a high paid free agent and was brought in for possible depth. Torrence and Eubanks are probably just making more plays than him in practice. His not panning out is not killing us in no way and decisions on mid to low level FAs that do not go as planned happens on every team.

']Exactly. We signed him as depth' date=' NOT as a starter. Since the start of the season Torrence and Eubanks have likely shown better on the practice field.

Whether it's because they are younger, more talented, or both, the fact remains that Macklin is depth/insurance....just because he started in the NFL before coming to DC, doesn't mean he's still starter worthy today.

[/quote']

You gotta be kidding me? Torrence looks pretty bad out there. Eubanks has nowhere near the experience and I don't really see him on special teams, though that may change. I remember watching Macklin last year so it's just not the fact that he's started before. It's the fact that a lot of people have seen him play before this year and in my opinion he is a good stop-gap type of player for the situation we are in now. We signed him for depth and experience? Well, Carlos Rogers is injured, and Fred Smoot has been playing with nagging injuries all year long. Why not give the man a shot at starting and let Smoot get as healthy as he can before a possible playoff push? I don't mean to dog on you but the argument of bringing him in for depth and then not playing him when we need our depth just doesn't hold any water.

If he was in the doghouse, I would somewhat understand that. But then again, I would be almost equally as mad since our "doghouse" seems to get at the capacity of No Vacancy every year. I mean how many times can we sign players then not play them because of a missed meeting or misunderstanding? This isn't high-school football. It's not College football either. This is the professional level, where there are grown-ass men signed to the franchise for one reason. Results. And if the coaches are going to hold grudges for things, that at this point seem petty, then they are not doing their job. Which should be to, at all times, play your best players whenever possible to get the combined result of a win. That is it. No "sticks and stones" and "rubber bands". This is a professional football team and the coaches should treat their players with equal respect. And it seems to me and a lot of people that they don't.

(for example, to name a couple players that had incidents of pettyness and went to {probably the most famous thing this coaching staff will be remembered for} their infamous "doghouse"...)

Laverneous Coles

Brandon Lloyd

Lavar Arrington

Adam Archuleta

Shawn Springs (they haven't benched/cut him but they, at one point, placed him as our nickel back while he is by far out best corner)

Patrick Ramsey

and I'm probably forgetting some others while also not considering the ones that we probably never heard about

Eh, don't forget the Lavar Arrington situation; Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams are just biased against Penn State players. That's my best guess. If you need more proof, look no further than Brandon Noble. He was selfishly allowed to get some sort of leg infection which almost killed him. It's not enough for these coaches to bench Nittany Lions, they have to almost let them die.

Man, I hope you're kidding.

So, in the 3 games he's played in all season, we are able to assess his effectiveness more than coaches that spend up to 100 hours a week watching him in practice and on tape?

The same coaches who have managed to produce a bottom of the NFL defense last year, and a defense that has allowed 31 ppg in the past 4, each game giving up at least 19 points? I think the "coaches know best" theory was thrown out the window at least a year ago.

The same coaches who have managed to produce a bottom of the NFL defense last year, and a defense that has allowed 31 ppg in the past 4, each game giving up at least 19 points? I think the "coaches know best" theory was thrown out the window at least a year ago.

Who but the coaches should know best?...The fans?

Archived