Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Macklin - What the...??

LaVarIsDaMan

Macklin has played in three games this year. Three. And one of those games was him playing in garbage time against New England. With our depth in the secondary getting thin, why doesn't he get playing time? He was a starter in every year in the NFL from 2001-2005. And in 2006 he was the opening day starter until Antrel Rolle supplanted him, seven games in, which is somewhat far from shameful. The thing is, it's not like the coaches don't trust him to being on the field. It most likely can't be that because I've noticed that most games, he is inactive! I don't ever see him on the injury report so what gives? Do our coaches even notice this guy? And if they do, have they noticed that he has played pretty well in the NFL for quite some time?

It bugs me that before the season began, our area of most depth was at the cornerback position. With the signings of Fred Smoot, Jerametrius Butler, and David Macklin. So we cut Butler in the preseason and now we just don't play Macklin? For now, we have Leigh Torrance playing on all of the five defensive back sets.

What the...?

I asked this question to the Redskins Lunch crew this past Monday...all they said was..."coaches decision I guess". They thought I was just asking about Mack b/c I'm from the Hampton Rds area and he's from Newport News, VA:doh: . I was asking b/c I wanted to why we're not using an experienced CB who has been proven on the field. I don't get it either. He's languishing on the bench when he could be helping on the field. I wish we could find out why he's not playing more. I figured when Carlos Rogers went down he'd get an opportunity. But so far...he's still stuck on the bench:mad: :(

Gregg always seems to have people in his dog house. It pisses me off a little. The player personnel is horrible. People don't even know half the time why they got benched or why they aren't playing as much. We, the fans, never know. I swear if we aqcuired Julius Peppers somehow, Gregg would find SOMEWAY to have him on the bench and Daniels starting. Either Gregg is extremely stubborn, or the majority of the players on our roster suck. I believe in the former

So, in the 3 games he's played in all season, we are able to assess his effectiveness more than coaches that spend up to 100 hours a week watching him in practice and on tape?

The answer to your question is no. But it seems to be another reason we need a real GM. We target guys like Macklin, Archuletta, Lloyd and others, sign them to big dollar contracts, then put them in the doghouse. Either the coaches are stubborn or they are not very good talent evaluators.

So, in the 3 games he's played in all season, we are able to assess his effectiveness more than coaches that spend up to 100 hours a week watching him in practice and on tape?

so lets go a step further.

did we YET AGAIN misjudge a player by bringing him here? because if he sucks, he shouldnt have been brought in. thoughts?

Eh, don't forget the Lavar Arrington situation; Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams are just biased against Penn State players. That's my best guess. If you need more proof, look no further than Brandon Noble. He was selfishly allowed to get some sort of leg infection which almost killed him. It's not enough for these coaches to bench Nittany Lions, they have to almost let them die.

so lets go a step further.

did we YET AGAIN misjudge a player by bringing him here? because if he sucks, he shouldnt have been brought in. thoughts?

It wouldn't be the first time.

And with the current organizational setup, it will definitely not be the last.

I asked this question to the Redskins Lunch crew this past Monday...all they said was..."coaches decision I guess". They thought I was just asking about Mack b/c I'm from the Hampton Rds area and he's from Newport News, VA:doh: . I was asking b/c I wanted to why we're not using an experienced CB who has been proven on the field. I don't get it either. He's languishing on the bench when he could be helping on the field. I wish we could find out why he's not playing more. I figured when Carlos Rogers went down he'd get an opportunity. But so far...he's still stuck on the bench:mad: :(

I actually work with D-Macks cousin in Newport News, and he told me that he doesn't know why they're not dressing him. Its kind of sad too, because Dave turned down more lucrative offers from KC (where he would have started) and NO. But he took a paycut just to stay near his family and play for the Skins. I'm not really sure why GW doesn't have him in there, he's a proven DB who's started for the Colts and the Cards. I hope he gets some PT and show the coaches that he'll be more than servicable.

Get D-MACK on the field GW.

The answer to your question is no. But it seems to be another reason we need a real GM. We target guys like Macklin, Archuletta, Lloyd and others, sign them to big dollar contracts, then put them in the doghouse. Either the coaches are stubborn or they are not very good talent evaluators.

Actually D-Macks not making that much money. He's making a little more than the Vet Minimum. He turned down a bigger deal with KC to stay closer to home.

yet another guy who doesnt play for god knows why. if hes bad, its yet another bad move by our front office. either way, somebody screwed up.

Maybe he's not bad, maybe Torrence and Eubanks are better? If they are indeed better, than what would you say about our front office for bringing them in?

What a waste of talent. This guy can play and he has proven it by being a starter for both the Colts and Cards. Evidentally he doesn't fit in to GW's package defenses. Sometimes, IMO, I think our coaches get too caught up in package situations and they should just let the players play more than one down and get into rhythm.

As a freshman in HS, Macklin guarded Allen Iverson in a basketball game, a game which Iverson scored well-below his season average. Now tell me can he play???

Macklin is certainly a starting caliber corner in the NFL. I'm not saying he is a pro bowler but a guy doens't start as many games as he has with no talent. That said, Macklin was most likely signed as an insurance policy. Its seems that our young guys are playing well enough in the coaches view to warrant Macklin riding the bench. Now if Torrence or Eubanks start channeling Kenny Wright out there and Macklin doesn't play, we should be concerned.

Yeah when we signed him I definitely thought, "he should compete with Smoot for playing time pretty easily..." Instead, we play Prileau as a nickel back and Torrence...hard to figure. The guy was a very good player. With Pierson having to play safety this week, maybe he will see the field some?

What a waste of talent. This guy can play and he has proven it by being a starter for both the Colts and Cards. Evidentally he doesn't fit in to GW's package defenses. Sometimes, IMO, I think our coaches get too caught up in package situations and they should just let the players play more than one down and get into rhythm.

As a freshman in HS, Macklin guarded Allen Iverson in a basketball game, a game which Iverson scored well-below his season average. Now tell me can he play???

Question for you PorkSkins, do you rememeber Tony Rutland? He also played with AI at Bethel High School in Hampton.

I remember when I was younger, I was at the Boo Williams Tournament and AI was dropping like 50 points on the other team.....at the same time was straight ball hogging the rock. Tony Rutland ran up to Iverson and stole the ball from him...............and they were on the SAME TEAM!!!!

That was one of the funniest yet the most awkward thing I ever saw in my life.

Archived