Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our defense has fallen off a cliff

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

over the first 5 games of the season, we had a top ranked defense. we were #1 in a number of categories and were playing extremely well. during those first 5 games, we gave up an average of 259.4 yards per game which is extremely good.

over the past 4 games, our defense has give up an average of 391.7 per game. now granted, we did play the pats and that number is a tad skewed, but take away that game, and over the past 3 games (all to opponents with records under 500) weve given up an average of 360.3 a game.

im just interested to hear peoples take on this? sure we lost carlos rogers, but 90% of this board thinks the guy is terrible so i highly doubt that his absence would account for an increase in 100+ yards more per game. we just lost taylor in the 2nd half last week, but he was in when we were giving up a ton of yards prior to that. im just wondering whats going on? is our scheme that predictable? are we not executing? how do we go from giving up 260 a game to giving up 360 a game? its a pretty huge dip and i wish i knew why.

GW leans on his secondary a lot more than most DCs do.

Last year our secondary was terrible. With Springs in and out all season and Proileau out and Archuletta not panning out, we got torched all year long.

Now that Rogers is out, Taylor is out and Smoot's on a bad wheel I fear we may get the same in the next few upcoming games.

This year injuries are absolutely killing us. We've managed to eke out some wins anyway, but I have a feeling it's all just about to catch up with us. We have to address our depth next year, that's for sure. Having more than three draft picks might help.

GW leans on his secondary a lot more than most DCs do.

Last year our secondary was terrible. With Springs in and out all season and Archuletta not panning out, we got torched all year long.

Now that Rogers is out, Taylor is out and Smoot's on a bad wheel I fear we may get the same in the next few upcoming games.

This year injuries are absolutely killing us. We've managed to eke out some wins anyway, but I have a feeling it's all just about to catch up with us. We have to address our depth next year, that's for sure. Having more than three draft picks might help.

im glad we are playing a lot of bottom of the barrel offenses, although the jets were able to put up 338 on us and theyre averaging around 290 a game. this just plain sucks watching us revert to last years defense all over again.

over the first 5 games of the season, we had a top ranked defense. we were #1 in a number of categories and were playing extremely well. during those first 5 games, we gave up an average of 259.4 yards per game which is extremely good.

over the past 4 games, our defense has give up an average of 391.7 per game. now granted, we did play the pats and that number is a tad skewed, but take away that game, and over the past 3 games (all to opponents with records under 500) weve given up an average of 360.3 a game.

im just interested to hear peoples take on this? sure we lost carlos rogers, but 90% of this board thinks the guy is terrible so i highly doubt that his absence would account for an increase in 100+ yards more per game. we just lost taylor in the 2nd half last week, but he was in when we were giving up a ton of yards prior to that. im just wondering whats going on? is our scheme that predictable? are we not executing? how do we go from giving up 260 a game to giving up 360 a game? its a pretty huge dip and i wish i knew why.

Just because 90% of this board thinks he sucks doesn't make it true.

Losing Carlos was a big blow, having old-ass Godfrey (who is a good backup) starting in place for Marcus is a factor, defensive penalties are a factor, and since these stats count the last game, losing Sean Taylor is a HUGE factor.

I would almost guarantee that he wouldn't have let that TD to Brown happen in the 2nd half and I'll go a step further and say that he probably would've turned around, adjusted and picked off that pass.

Also, I'll say that I don't think the 57-yard screen to Westbrook would've happened with Taylor in there either.

im glad we are playing a lot of bottom of the barrel offenses, although the jets were able to put up 338 on us and theyre averaging around 290 a game. this just plain sucks watching us revert to last years defense all over again.

It all looks so hauntingly familiar. :(

The one upside is that maybe, maybe, our offense is ready to take off now that the line is a little healthier, and maybe they can pick up the slack in a way that the Brunell-led offense could not.

A faint hope, to be sure, but it's what keeps me going these days.

Just because 90% of this board thinks he sucks doesn't make it true.

Losing Carlos was a big blow, having old-ass Godfrey (who is a good backup) starting in place for Marcus is a factor, defensive penalties are a factor, and since these stats count the last game, losing Sean Taylor is a HUGE factor.

I would almost guarantee that he wouldn't have let that TD to Brown happen in the 2nd half and I'll go a step further and say that he probably would've turned around, adjusted and picked off that pass.

Also, I'll say that I don't think the 57-yard screen to Westbrook would've happened with Taylor in there either.

oh i know, i think carlos is a very good corner and his loss is a definite blow, but losing 1 corner shouldnt mean the team is going to give up 100+ yards more than it had before. marcus is barely playing anyways and hasnt played a lot this year.

but losing taylor is going to kill us, badly.

and i agree, the reggie brown pass was so horrid, taylor would have had that all day. but prioleau was back there, and hes pretty mediocre at best. im just waiting to see vernon fox trotted out there, then we know its over.

oh i know, i think carlos is a very good corner and his loss is a definite blow, but losing 1 corner shouldnt mean the team is going to give up 100+ yards more than it had before. marcus is barely playing anyways and hasnt played a lot this year.

but losing taylor is going to kill us, badly.

and i agree, the reggie brown pass was so horrid, taylor would have had that all day. but prioleau was back there, and hes pretty mediocre at best. im just waiting to see vernon fox trotted out there, then we know its over.

God, if Vernon Fox trots out there I'm going to commit suicide at FedEx Field. We could call Wright, Rumph and good ol' Highway 57 and have the entire class of 06 back

G Williams has been running too many 4-2-5 alignments.

I mean c'mon teams like the Eagles have no real deep threats and yet you're taking a LB off the field and then backing your safties up 15-20 yards. We were open for the taking and that screen to Westbrook pretty much all game.

I agree that Taylor might have been able to stop the last long Westbrook screen, but with GW putting the safties so far back it would've had to be an impressive open field tackle and even then 20-25 yards down the field.

I also realize M Washington's injury is the reason we've been playing a lot of 4-2-5, but are Godffrey, K Campell, and others really that bad, that they can't defense teams whose primary options are underneath? I saw this in the Jets game too (which they played without Coles)...and I'm confused with GW's thoughts there.

Not having Rogers, Washington and now Sean Taylor reall hurts. Washington is suppose to come back this week which is good because Godfrey is a great backup but I think he dropped about two INTs. We are missing Rogers' youth and there is simply no replacing Sean Taylor. Hopefully, a full week of practice at FS will help Prioleau feel more comfortable at the position this week. That Reggie Brown TD still hurts.

We are 11th in ypg at 318.2. If you remove the Pats game' date=' we would be at 297.2, which is 7th (1 yard ahead of Dallas).

We are 19th in points per game at 21.4. Without New England, we are at 17.6, which is tied for 7th.[/quote']

this is true, and thats for the entire season. but over the past 4 games, weve looked dreadful on defense, and i just dont see that changing. dallas is going to put up a spankload of yards on us this weekend, so watch for that number to keep falling.

and with taylor out for a bit, its gonna get u-g-l-y.

I think our biggest issue is half time adjustments. Not ours, but theirs. I don't have time at the moment to do the whole year, but let's look at the Eagles game, which was similar to the Giants game in that we just crumbled in the second half.

Eagles 1st half drives:

11 plays, 82 yards, TOUCHDOWN

4 plays, 22 yards, FUMBLE

9 plays, 31 yards, PUNT

3 plays, 7 yards, PUNT

9 plays, 47 yards, MISSED FG

Eagles 2nd half drives:

12 plays, 70 yards, TOUCHDOWN

5 plays, 72 yards, TOUCHDOWN

1 play, -1 yard, FUMBLE

2 plays, 65 yards, TOUCHDOWN

1 play, 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN

2 plays, -2 yards, END OF GAME

And we can't blame the offense for not getting the defense off the field this time, especially since we never punted in the second half. We had one turnover which we got back on the next play, aside from turning it over on downs after they took the lead and forced us into panic mode.

It all looks so hauntingly familiar. :(

The one upside is that maybe, maybe, our offense is ready to take off now that the line is a little healthier, and maybe they can pick up the slack in a way that the Brunell-led offense could not.

A faint hope, to be sure, but it's what keeps me going these days.

I don't have the same faint hope, as i've already seen what happens with this team when the offense is healthy and clicking and the defensive secondary is banged up and injured...reference 2006.

Basically, for the next month or so, or until 2008 when we get both Taylor and Rogers back, look for losses resembling the 37-31, 34-28 disasters we saw last year instead of the 17-14 disasters we became accustomed to in the first half of this year...however, the end results and overall frustration will be pretty much the same.

While our sack numbers are up we continue to struggle on defense primarily because of our inability to generate a consistent pass rush. You can't let a veteran QB sit in the pocket all day and not expect him to find wide receivers getting open running through our soft zone coverages.

It's happened to the extreme against the Patriots, and both the Giants and Eagles exploited our zone coverages by attacking the seams and sending wide receivers on crossing routes.

An even bigger problem as far as I am concerned is Gregg Williams arrogance. Twice now, Giants and Eagles, he's failed to make the proper adjustments in the second half and has given the other team a chance to exploit our matchups. We've become too predictable and passive on defense and it's time for Williams to realize that his precious cover 2 isn't the end all be all.

I'd like him to start getting more aggressive again and run more zone blitzes, but I doubt that's going to happen with Smoot banged up and Taylor out for a good amount of time.

In his quest to not give up the big play Gregg Williams invites teams to lead drives the length of the field. It's almost like he expect the other team to screw up at some point so that they have to punt or settle for a FG. That's a great strategy against inexperienced QBs and struggling offenses, but the veteran QBs and coordinators will take it and run with it.

The Patriots demonstrated perfectly how to take this team apart, and I expect our defense to continue to struggle until a serious philosophie change sets in.

NE game exposed us

Teams wher not throwing deep becase of our Safties. Bill B found that if you throw underneath us, thats were our weakniss is. We CANNOT DEFEND SCREENS and SHORT ROUTS.

Now that taylor is out, we cant defend DEEP.

You can run on us too. Early in the season we played teams that did'nt run alot, but when they did they gashed us.

Had the Eagles in the first game stuck with run, we would have lost. I think andy reed got away to early. Same with the lions game.

Bill B saw it and crushed us. had the cardinals kept running, we would have lost that one.

Bottom line is we are ****ed.

I just numb to all of this. one day we will have our day in the sun.

Sean Taylor, this season, has kept this defense from becoming last years unit. With him out of the lineup in the coming weeks I fear for the worse. Will GW realize that without ST playing soft will still give up as many (if not more) big plays as playing aggresive (blitzing and the such)? Not so sure. I wonder if Landry can play in the deep cover safty role (he is fast and athletic) but at the same time he is a rookie and can be baited and picked on in such a role. We have to wait and see what adjustments, if any, Williams makes.

NE game exposed us

Teams wher not throwing deep becase of our Safties. Bill B found that if you throw underneath us, thats were our weakniss is. We CANNOT DEFEND SCREENS and SHORT ROUTS.

Now that taylor is out, we cant defend DEEP.

You can run on us too. Early in the season we played teams that did'nt run alot, but when they did they gashed us.

Had the Eagles in the first game stuck with run, we would have lost. I think andy reed got away to early. Same with the lions game.

Bill B saw it and crushed us. had the cardinals kept running, we would have lost that one.

Bottom line is we are ****ed.

I just numb to all of this. one day we will have our day in the sun.

.....Dead on. The Pats exposed us big time and unfortuneately for this defense, it has been and will be downhill from here. I think the injury excuse is a crock because all teams have injury issues, especially this year. The only injury on that defense that is crippling is losing Taylor. No doubt about it. Losing Washington hurts but is manageable. Same with Carlos. The problem is there is no quality depth, or should I say draft picks to fill in. Thank you front office, because our depth rests with the Brandon Lloyds and the TJ Ducketts of the world who are conveniently buried on the depth chart and on another team. No, we don't need a GM do we now!!!!...absolutely ridiculous.

Archived