Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our defense has fallen off a cliff

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

im glad we are playing a lot of bottom of the barrel offenses, although the jets were able to put up 338 on us and theyre averaging around 290 a game. this just plain sucks watching us revert to last years defense all over again.

Agreed. All i kept hearing after the eagles and lions game was how tough and physical our defense was. All everyone was talking about was how effective our press man coverage was against teams such as the eagles and lions. Then GW unexplainably changes the scheme. He all of a sudden got soft and weak. It looked like gibbs' fear of every team in the league no matter how terrible they are has gotten to GW too much. Now our defense sucks like last year.

I'll tell you why, and it's pretty simple: we're only a season removed from being the dead last (or second to last) defense in the league.

I don't know why so many ignore this immutable fact. You don't overnight become the 2000 Ravens defense. We did nothing to shore up a woeful D-line from last year and guess what? ALL success on defense begins and ends with an ability to stuff the run. Are we getting better? Definitely. Are we there yet? Well, we're far from it. Keep your expectations somewhat in line and you won't be heartbroken.

we play this bend dont break nonsense and its just getting exposed badly. teams have no problem moving the ball on us. over the past 4 games, teams have converted 29 of 55 3rd downs on us. thats 53%. ugh.

we just refuse to make any adjustments. and why were playing a basic tampa 2 is still beyond me, especially when we play it from the nickel against the eagles, whos biggest playmaker is a runningback.

We DO NOT have a formidable front four. Whoever thought that a good secondary creates more sacks are a little off in their philosophy. A good front four creates sacks with mediocre coverage. I haven't bought into GW's schemes since he came here. Since he was burned so many times deep last year, he has gone to a prevent defense for the entire season. I can't believe we keep taking our top playmaker, ST, and put him 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage on every play. It's time to address the line. However, something tells me we will draft another player we don't really need.

Here's the deal in a nutshell, when our offense has sputtered - the defense has generally been there to pick up the offense. (Mia, Philly 1, Zona, GB) When it comes time for the offense to actually step up and put a team away when the defense isn't firing on all cylinders, the offense can't deliver. Ever.

Some teams actually have offenses that can score 27 when God forbid, the defense actually allows 24. No us though.

One hand washes the other. And we can't keep asking this defense to be the 2000 Ravens and win games 9-6.

It all looks so hauntingly familiar. :(

The one upside is that maybe, maybe, our offense is ready to take off now that the line is a little healthier, and maybe they can pick up the slack in a way that the Brunell-led offense could not.

A faint hope, to be sure, but it's what keeps me going these days.

I would agree with this as well, until I saw our offense go up and down the field until it really counted, the few minutes of the game, they could not move the ball.

Archived