Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dust voids PS3 Warrenty

PokerPacker

Funny thing is, I had to send my xbox 360 back for the second time in 18 months to get it fixed. It cost me a little over $100 to get it repaired. No big deal. So I get it back a week laster with a 30 day xbox live card. Then a month later I get a check in the mail saying they made a mistake and it was covered under warrenty. Talk about good customer service from Microsoft. :) Another reason to go with the 360.

Yeah, because M$ did such a good job building the systems in the first place. :rolleyes:

This "news story" reaks of bs. More anti-Sony propaganda.

If this story is true, been there.

I am a Sony guy and I have had similar incidents with Sony concerning a receiver and and XBR TV. Customer service was arrogant and had me on hold for hours as well. Only until I called my local Attorney Generals office, did my problems clear up. I was on hold a lot less and my units were replaced through an authorized Sony rep. (Sears)

I suggest you do call the law, that's what they are there for.

If this story is true, been there.

I am a Sony guy and I have had similar incidents with Sony concerning a receiver and and XBR TV. Customer service was arrogant and had me on hold for hours as well. Only until I called my local Attorney Generals office, did my problems clear up. I was on hold a lot less and my units were replaced through an authorized Sony rep. (Sears)

I suggest you do call the law, that's what they are there for.

Guess it's who you get. I had to have maintenance on my TV done, and they were very friendly and helpful.

They may have screwed up initially but the system is still far and away better than the PS3.

I won't argue that, but there was a reason that M$ had to go that route and take the financial hit.

EDIT: What are you using as a basis for the 360 being a better system? In the games dept....yeah it's better for now. It's ease to develop for? Yeah the 360's a better system. I kinda dig on the fact that the PS3 is more "open" than the 360.

i have read the same thing pp. what this would tell me is that the person that owns the unit obviously doesnt take care of the environment that the unit is in. if i owned a 4 to $600 game system, computer, tv, anything i would clean it out at least once a month, if not once a week. i dont know the owner or the environment that the system is in so i am just speculating. i do know that i have a component tower with my dvr box and my dvd player in there and i havent had to dust the inside of it in a couple of months and there is no buildup in there. this is why i am skeptical of sony here.

seriously no way that was in a dust free environment. look at the memory ports. theres dust inside of them as well and that has a cover. That think looks like it's been sitting in a dust bowl. There are alot of companies that would have a tough time honoring a warrenty with neglect like that.

from what i've heard, PS3s are dust magnets. also, i've seen much dustier computers and that didn't prevent me from getting out some compressed air, cleaning it out, and fixing it anyways. i'm not gonna tell the person "i'm sorry, i can't fix this, its ucky".

The PS3 is no more a dust magnet than any other piece of electronics. It's the surface that makes it more noticeable.

from what i've heard, PS3s are dust magnets.

For this much dust to accumulate in a year (or less)? Dude could have at least tried to clean it off or taken a can of compressed air to it before sending it off. It's a $500(+) peice of equipment, is it so hard to take the time to dust it every once and a while? This is neglect on his part.

Pig-pen_peanuts.png

from what i've heard, PS3s are dust magnets. also, i've seen much dustier computers and that didn't prevent me from getting out some compressed air, cleaning it out, and fixing it anyways. i'm not gonna tell the person "i'm sorry, i can't fix this, its ucky".

Had mine for a year and its never collected dust like that anywhere. I haven't seen dustier computers that have only been in use for a year or so, either, barring a downright filthy environment or absolutely no circulation within the system.

Here's the warranty info:

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT (A) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS THAT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS PRODUCT; (B) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); © IS MODIFIED, OR TAMPERED WITH; (D) IS DAMAGED BY ACTS OF GOD, MISUSE, ABUSE, NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, WEAR AND TEAR, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; (E) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED; OR (F) HAS HAD THE WARRANTY SEAL ON THE PS3TM SYSTEM ALTERED, DEFACED, OR REMOVED. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CONSUMABLES (SUCH AS BATTERIES) OR PRODUCTS SOLD "AS IS" OR WITH ALL FAULTS. THIS WARRANTY SHALL ALSO BE VOIDABLE BY SCEA IF (1) SCEA REASONABLY BELIEVES THAT THE PS3TM SYSTEM HAS BEEN USED IN A MANNER THAT WOULD VIOLATE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF A SEPARATE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR SYSTEM SOFTWARE; OR (2) THE PRODUCT IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY SCEA (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT DEVICES, CONTROLLERS, ADAPTORS AND POWER SUPPLY DEVICES). YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND LIABILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH USE OF THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS. A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

I wouldn't expect it to get that dusty in an industrial warehouse, never mind a sealed entertainment system.

We have a 360 and other electronics in a basement room that doesn't get a lot of cleaning :doh: but we only get a little dust build up lying on top of it, nothing like the accumulation he has in the ports.

PokerPacker, sorry to hear about your frustration with this. I'm sure that's got to suck big time.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got another device for you whose warranty is voided by the presence of dust....

All GLOCK brand firearms have their warranty voided if they can "prove" you fired even a single round of non-copper jacketed ammunition out of the gun. Yes, that's right. LEAD DUST voids the warranty of a GLOCK. It's actually in their warranty paperwork.

how many times to i have to tell people that this didn't happen to me? i just posted the article, i even included a link to the original!

Yeah, folks don't really pay attetion much.

Anyway, I hope you get your PS3 in working order again, and when you do, take better care of it, and not let it get so dusty.

:D

Archived