Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where does Consciousness come from?

boobiemiles

I'm wondering if some one can tell me how the ideas of God, good, and evil, Satan and hell, came from? I know how the Earth was formed, I know Adam and Eve where made up as a creation myth, all cultures have one. But where did the very notion of an idea, where did that come from. In short the idea that something spawned all of this and put in motion makes me believe there is a God/goddess, some form of imponent consciousness made all of this happen. So where did it come from?

I'm wondering if some one can tell me how the ideas of God, good, and evil, Satan and hell, came from? I know how the Earth was formed, I know Adam and Eve where made up as a creation myth, all cultures have one. But where did the very notion of an idea, where did that come from. In short the idea that something spawned all of this and put in motion makes me believe there is a God/goddess, some form of imponent consciousness made all of this happen. So where did it come from?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Having a conception of an infinite universe is irrational, but having a conception of an infinite Creator isn't?

Oh wait--are you the guy who argues that the existence of pi proves that there's a Creator?

Something can not come from nothing.

Oh wait-- are you the guy who argues that nothing is something?

Something can not come from nothing.

Oh wait-- are you the guy who argues that nothing is something?

Sorry--I just read my last post and realized that it came across as awfully condescending and flippant. I didn't mean for it to be.

I don't think that nothing is something. I just want to point out that everyone has a conception of the infinite.

And it was an honest question--were you the "pi" guy? :)

Except not everyone has a consciousness. Pschopaths don't.

And in different cultures, consciousness is different, telling me that it can be changed based on enviorment. (I.E - Making a young child work long hours. Not consciousable to me, but in some countries...).

So perhaps consciousness is just a evealutionary trait to help confirm to society. Those that are able to quickly understand and except societies norms and rules, and to belive in them, obviously survive and reproduce. Those that never do, are ussally outside of society and will die off.

To be honest -I didn't say it, but to me, the exsistance of pi to me is a better argument for God then consciousness.

And in different cultures, consciousness is different, telling me that it can be changed based on enviorment. (I.E - Making a young child work long hours. Not consciousable to me, but in some countries...).

So perhaps consciousness is just a evealutionary trait to help confirm to society. Those that are able to quickly understand and except societies norms and rules, and to belive in them, obviously survive and reproduce. Those that never do, are ussally outside of society and will die off.

To be honest -I didn't say it, but to me, the exsistance of pi to me is a better argument for God then consciousness.

I think you might be confusing conscience with consciousness. Or maybe the opening poster is? :whoknows:

EDIT: man, you aussies are fast.

You're talking about conscience (as in a sense of right and wrong). I think he's referring to consciousness (as in self-awareness).

*EDIT* I never edit to reflect that another poster got there first, so don't expect me to start now. :silly:

I'm wondering if some one can tell me how the ideas of God, good, and evil, Satan and hell, came from?

My serious answer is that these things came from God, and we know about them because He told us.

I just thought that someone should get that out of the way.

Archived