Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where does Consciousness come from?

boobiemiles

You're talking about conscience (as in a sense of right and wrong). I think he's referring to consciousness (as in self-awareness).

*EDIT* I never edit to reflect that another poster got there first, so don't expect me to start now. :silly:

Your right. I should stop reading so fast.

But it's still the same. If you can not be self aware, you will not survive. Eveloution still answers it for me.

once you are aware, and learn you limits, you then will ask why. Once again, those that don't ask why, and don't learn their limits, will not survive.

Once I start asking why, I want answers.

Somebody needs to PM PeterMP that he has another thread to monitor... :laugh:

I offered to tell, but I would have to kill him.

This just is in. A limited time offer. I'll give you the answer for a limited time for three easy payments of $19.95.

You would believe anything and everything so long as you are not connected with acceptance of the concept that there is a creator.

And I could say you would believe anything and everything so long as you are connected with acceptance of the concept that there is a creator - meaning, you are in denial just as much as me.

You can't prove to me that the cat is alive in the box. However, if you could prove to me there is a creator I would glady accept it. I'm not as much a cynical denier as you think. :)

Then tell me at what point in the evolutionary timeline did a "mutation" bestow upon the earths creations "consciousness"?

Your best guess will do. :)

What part of 'series of mutations' don't you understand?

It depends on how you define consciousness, but most vertebrates have it it to some extent, while other life forms don't (at least according to my very limited knowlege :)), so perhaps that's a clue regarding timeline.

EDIT: or there may have been multiple separate mutations in different branches.

And I could say you would believe anything and everything so long as you are connected with acceptance of the concept that there is a creator - meaning, you are in denial just as much as me.

You could say that. Of course I am not on the side that has to pawn off the concept of infinity as something other than a failure of man to properly describe our finite universe. :)

Well, this is what it all boils down to, isn't it?

All the agnostics, all the scientists, when you ask them to break things down further and further, can't answer this question

And if you pushed Galeilo and Copurnicus to further build up the structure of the galaxy they failed too. Were they wrong?

Well, this is what it all boils down to, isn't it?

All the agnostics, all the scientists, when you ask them to break things down further and further, can't answer this question

Well ... I'm thinking it might be tied to the functioning of the brain. After all, I've never heard of someone losing consciousness from a blow to the shin.

Archived