Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where does Consciousness come from?

boobiemiles

Just to throw a little wrinlke in the conversation...what boggles my mind is the ability for the mind to become conscious when your body is in an unconscious state. What I'm talking about specifically is lucid dreaming (anybody seen Waking Life?). For those who haven't, it's the phenomenon of becoming aware that you are dreaming but remaining in the dream. It's weird, people claim to be able to do all sorts of stuff when they have them. It's happened to me a couple of times so I know it actually does happen.

My question is, how did we ever gain the ability to become conscious on a whole different plane of consciousness completely separate from the physical world?

Just to throw a little wrinlke in the conversation...what boggles my mind is the ability for the mind to become conscious when your body is in an unconscious state. What I'm talking about specifically is lucid dreaming (anybody seen Waking Life?). For those who haven't, it's the phenomenon of becoming aware that you are dreaming but remaining in the dream. It's weird, people claim to be able to do all sorts of stuff when they have them. It's happened to me a couple of times so I know it actually does happen.

My question is, how did we ever gain the ability to become conscious on a whole different plane of consciousness completely separate from the physical world?

We may want a separate thread for this if people really want to talk about it, but one of my final year undergrad classes included a comprehensive review of dreaming from a biopsychosocial overview, and one fascinating component included learning to remember your dreams and examine them, keeping a log and using certain techniques, with one goal of working towards a lucid dreaming experience. I finally had a 100% "qualified" lucid dream towards the end of the program and it was a very cool thing to experience.

I lived w/ a guy for year that claimed he could affect the physical world when in his dreams. He claimed, for example, if he stole something in his dreams from a store, then he would actually own the object.

I moved out as soon as the lease was up.

Archived