Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Little Things Kill

#98QBKiller

It's cliche and we've all heard it, it's the little things that separate good teams from great teams.

Now that we're at the mid-point of the season I was looking back on our first 8 games and I realized that we are just a few mistakes/miscues away from being a great team.

Other than the NE and Detroit games, every game has been close for good or worse. Look at some of the miscues/mistakes that have hurt us:

-Carlos doesn't get flagged for pass interference against the Dolphins on their final drive, they don't get a FG and we walk out with a slim win but no OT.

-Jason throws a deep ball one yard shorter and/or Santana gets two steps faster and the Philly game is over in the 4th, no late drive that could've potentially saved Donny Mac and the crew.

-We get the damn ball in the end zone with 4 tries with time running out against the Giants, nevermind that we let them come back in the second half, we were 1st and goal inside the 5 and couldn't punch the ball in, whether you want to blame the spike (wasted down), bad throw to Sellers, Portis not being in, or Betts tripping over his own feet, great teams find a way to get those few yards.

- Santana or Lloyd catch one of the many passes that hit their hands that day and the GB game isn't close, CP doesn't fumble near the end zone or Santana doesn't fumble on the end-around and we hang on and win that game with future playoff implications.

-London doesn't get the taunting call against and/or Landry doesn't get the unneccessary roughness call on the SAME drive against AZ and we stall the scoring drive and they don't get a TD....saving us a lot of headache.

or

-Special teams unit doesn't allow that onside kick to happen and it's game over

-Our Special Teams unit contains L. Washington and we beat the Jets without taking the game to OT or Landry doesn't put his helmet into Clemens and we stall their FG drive in the first or that ball goes a yard longer and Santana gets it, game over.

As tired as you may be of hearing it, look at Indy, Pittsburgh, New England and even to some degree Dallas and Green Bay. These teams keep dumb mistakes to a minimum and the less of those mistakes they make the better the team is.

NE makes less dumb mistakes than any team in the NFL and they're 9-0, Indy makes very few and they look like the 2nd best team, Dallas and GB make mistakes but keep them to a minimum and they are Divisional Champ contenders.

Whether it's Special Teams not stopping big plays, dumb penalties or not finishing drives in the red zone, the little things will kill us if we don't address them.

We have a great team here and we can play out the stretch and win a lot of games if our team will cut out the mistakes and the coaching staff cracks down and makes this an issue.

This team isn't the Rams, the Dolphins, the Falcons, the Jets or the Raiders all of whom have major rebuilding issues, we're almost there, the Skins are only handful of plays away from being a major contender in the NFC.

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

*Some of that was redundant, I just fixed it

Yeah, it's one of my favorite torture devices to go back and say "what if" but I think the only one that really bothers me is the Green Bay game and maybe the long pass against Philly, only because I think that would have some great benefits as far as confidnence in the offense and teams having to respect the deep ball.

The difference between the winning team and the losing team is usually only a couple of plays. Even most blowouts come down to only 6 or fewer plays. Yes, we are only a couple of plays from being 7-1 and another couple more from being a dominant 7-1. Conversely, we're only a couple of plays away from being 1-7.

It's cliche and we've all heard it, it's the little things that separate good teams from great teams.

This team isn't the Rams, the Dolphins, the Falcons, the Jets or the Raiders all of whom have major rebuilding issues, we're almost there, the Skins are only handful of plays away from being a major contender in the NFC.

We are a million miles away.....regardless if our o-line was 100% healthy or not.

The coaching staff would blow it even with hall of famers on the field right now.

The "little things" are basic, simple fundamental coaching problems--issues that junior girls teams get so easily....but we are the worst in the history of the league at.

We definitely have the worst 2 minute drill in the history of the league...bar none.

Did you notice this weekend...although it has yet to be discussed on here....when we decided to line up and let the clock run out in order to back our punter up 5 yards?

JC didn't even get under center! What type of moron franchise doesn't get their qb under center, in hopes of drawing an offsides with a hard snap count?

Answer: Every team on earth except the bumbling, approaching senile coaching staff of the Redskins.

High school coaches understand this........we do not.

On Sunday, NE had the most penalties in their franchises history [i believe] with 150+ penalty yards...9 penalties I think. They are just a better caliber team and can overcome mistakes and still win convincingly in the 4th quarter against the defending champs. We are a mediocre team right now. Can we catch stride and be a good team? Sure, but we're not there yet? Only mediocre teams and fans of said teams go back to games and say "if..." we'd have won convincingly. This team has soooo much talent, I believe that. But, we continue to make mistakes that are classified as "stupid" mistakes. You're right, as a general rule, NE and the Colts don't make those mistakes, but they can afford to and overcome those mistakes. We can overcome them sometimes but not the majority of the time b/c we just don't play well enough to get ahead of or blow teams out.

HTTR

--snip--NE and the Colts don't make those mistakes, but they can afford to and overcome those mistakes. We can overcome them sometimes but not the majority of the time b/c we just don't play well enough to get ahead of or blow teams out.

HTTR

Well Gibbs-Ball just doesn't lend itself to blowing teams out. It does lend itself to minimizing mistakes though, so I doubt Gibbs is happy with the season so far.

Glycerine was the high water mark of the grunge rock era. I cant believe that song ever got made into a single and put out on airwaves. Its no wonder people turned to boy bands for entertainment for the next 6 years.

Such crap from a crappy band.

I think it comes down to what Joe Gibbs has been saying all season about the games coming down to the wire every week (with a couple exceptions). Except for maybe a few teams I believe most of the teams in the NFL are pretty close in how good they are. The differences come from the health of the team, making as few mistakes as possible, taking advantage of opportunities, and some player acquisitions. I strongly believe this is the reason why some teams suck one year, no one gives them a chance the following year, and then they suddenly become a contender (and visa versa).

If the skins can play out the rest of the season getting rid of those irritating little issues we will absolutely have a chance, and possibly even take the NFC East.

As the OP pointed out, the reason for all these "little mistakes" is the coaching staff. We constantly get penalties when we don't need them (like last minute drives). Our wide receivers aren't catching balls, and yet they play with Campbell every single practice and know how he's going to throw it. We say we're a smashmouth football team, and then we run outside at the goal line against the Giants. I have resigned myself to the fact that we're just not a well-coached team, and that we will have to grind out every single win. This is not a recipe for success at all, and at some point, whether it be this year or next year, our luck will run out and we'll start losing these close games. It'll be 2006 all over again. That's when we'll start from scratch again. It's frustrating, but unfortunately it's true.

glycerine was a damn good track....

the good thing is that all these little things are correctable

Please never ever ever ever ever say that again. Absolute crap. Cant believe its even considered rock. That song is one of the best examples of when music producers go wrong.

End of that take.....

Gavin: How did that whining sound?

Producer: Sounded great over the haunting guitar.

Janitor: We used to call haunting guitar crappy.

Producer: Grade A #1 Whining Crap! Instant success. Brand name sells!

Please never ever ever ever ever say that again. Absolute crap. Cant believe its even considered rock. That song is one of the best examples of when music producers go wrong.

End of that take.....

Gavin: How did that whining sound?

Producer: Sounded great over the haunting guitar.

Janitor: We used to call haunting guitar crappy.

Producer: Grade A #1 Whining Crap! Instant success. Brand name sells!

since when is haunting guitar crappy

Archived