Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

High $ FA busts other than 'Skins

herb mul-key

I'm not sure how anyone can call Duckett a bust. He hardly played because the guy in front of him won the job and stayed healthy for the first time in his career. - He was traded for because at the time, Portis and Betts were both hurt and Gibbs decided to be proactive and go out and get another RB rather then just hope someone would get healthy.

as far as FA busts, I remember a few years back Snyder not caving to the contract demands of Darryl Gardner. He went on to sign a $30 mil contract with Denver and played in 2 games.

I think San Fran and Denver get yearly passes on stupid moves.

Breaking News.

Mike Nolan is not a great coach. As much as Chris Berman wants you think he is. He isn't.

Denver....well. Don't they go after most DL every year? Doesn't Champ still give up big plays in big games? Didn't get get rocked at home in the AFC title game?

Both those teams are getting a pass.

Green's not a bust because he got injured but Barrow is a bust because he got injured??????? Not too logical there.....

I say Barrow because we kept him for what two years? I don't think he even played a down for us. His situation is closer to that of Tony Boselli getting picked up by the Texans. I guess I should have said Green isn't a bust YET. Green's career isn't officially over. If he never plays again then he probably is.

Smoot to the Vikings...

This is a case where the Skins did it right. Someone who they drafted and cultivated was thrown a ton of money to go play elsewhere. He didn't live up to his contract, and landed back in DC on the cheap.... and is now a pretty good bargain considering how he's playing here. It's nice to be on the right side of this for once (see Jeremiah Trotter).

ok everyone wants to pick on our FO for Loyd, Arch, Duckett and I am no Vinnie or Danny lover but hey...Gibbs has brought in some great guys and missed a few for sure...but dang its not like an exact science and a few teams have invested in High $ FA that it did not work out either.

Lets see.... other High $$$ FA busts by FO around the league: in no particluar order just what come to mind...have any more?

Jevon Kearse -Philly

Daunte Culpeper - Miami

Trent Green to Miami

Randy Moss to Oakland

Elvis Grbac to Bmore

T Owens to Philly

Joey Porter to Miami- jury is out I guess but they are 0-8?

I know there are more my mind is blanking...help..

Okay first of all Just about everyone on this list was hurt after the transition. And they were all acquired for reasonable sums. i.e. Culpepper for a 2nd roud pick, Green for a 6th, Moss for a 2nd, Owens for a 2nd. Duckett was acquired for a 3rd and never used, lloyd was acquired for a 3rd and 4th and played like a bum, Brunell was a 3rd and over the hill. We are overpaying for disapointments.

These make ourselves feel better about all the crappy personnel move threads have got to go. Acknowledging that you have a problem is the first step. And we have a serious problem in the front office

Most of you guys need to go research these things before you post. More than half of the "FA" busts listed here were not FAs at all but rather trades, including a number of Skins moves.

Examples:

Lloyd was traded for. We gave up a pair of draft picks for him so not a FA.

Duckett was traded for. We gave up a pair of draft picks for him so not a FA.

Brunell was traded for. We gave up a 2nd rounder for him so not a FA.

Even the original list of supposed FA on it was actually more than half trades. Come one guys, do your homework before you pop off here, please.

Yes of course every time misses in FA, just like every team misses in the draft. It's not an exact science.

But we take more heat than anyone else because of the role FA plays in our overall strategy: overpaying for other teams' players as the foundation of our team.

We shouldn't say that big, bold moves in free agency are NEVER justified. They are.

But they really only make sense as the FINAL component in building a champion, not the FOUNDATION of your building. See: Eagles got Kearse and T.O. and went to the Super Bowl. See: Patriots this year.

Successful franchises build their teams from the ground up, acquiring younger, hungry players that don't cost as much but fit into what the coaches and personnel men are looking for. Once you have your core, spend big money on other teams' players as necessary.

Most of you guys need to go research these things before you post. More than half of the "FA" busts listed here were not FAs at all but rather trades, including a number of Skins moves.

Examples:

I noticed the same thing in this thread, and you are right. However, although we traded for Lloyd, he essentially was a FA because we tore up his contract and signed him to a new one before he ever played a game for us.

So really, Lloyd is the worst of both worlds, because not only did we throw away two draft picks on him, but we also threw a truckload of cash at him.

We compounded a mistake (trading for him) by making an even bigger mistake (backing up the Brinks truck for him).

It is hard to find a franchise who has had more busts then Washington in Free Agency. Stubblefield goes to the top of my list.

Look into Denver

Chester McGlockton- huge money, huge bust

Dale Carter- Huge money- drunk who couldn't get on the field

Jake Plummer- a bum's bum if ever there was one. If not for the greatness of Shannon Sharpe that bust would have become apparent much sooner than it did

Brian Griese (OK, not a FA< but Shanny gave him a HUGE new contract after his rookie year, then ended up eating 7 mil in cap space to cut him less than 2 years later.)

Gerard Warren

Courtney Brown

Ebenezer Ekuban

Ron Dayne

They have wasted high picks on luminaries such as

Willie Middlefield (1st round 2001)

Ashley Lelie (1st round 2002)

George Foster (1st round 2003)

D.J. Williams (LB averaging 51 tackles a year...1st round, 2004)

Darrent Williams was a 1st rounder in 05, so we won't know about him, but in fairness, he looked pretty good for them until he died.

Washington has the reputation for free spending on bust players. Denver annually spends more and ends up with just as much junk. In 2000 the Redskins turned heads by spening a then-record payroll... Denver eclipsed it the very next offseason, but no one knows about that. Could it be Pat Bowlen isn't as easy to pick on as Dan Snyder?

If not for their offensive line and it's dirty tactics, their vaunted running game would not have been as good as it had been since Terrell Davis left, as evidenced by the backs that leave their team and do nothing elsewhere. They literally can't crack a starting lineup. That dirty play caused more than one DL that I've heard say that guys tended to play more gingerly vs the Broncos, knowing those guys would end their careers if they could.

Of course, it should be noted that since Elway, Shanahan has won exactly the same number of playoff games as Norv friggin' Turner.

It's all about perception. Denver is perceived as successful for some reason, and they screw the pooch as badly as anyone in the league.

~Bang

Ah yes, how could I forget that one.

Thanks!

I'm not necessarily bashing Denver,,, but as i said, it's all about perception.

~Bang

I understand your point exactly. - Another example is, in 2000 the media didn't let anyone forget about the Redskins and the highest payroll thing and trying to buy a championship, but the team with the second highest payroll was the Ravens, and they won the Superbowl.

I say Barrow because we kept him for what two years? I don't think he even played a down for us. His situation is closer to that of Tony Boselli getting picked up by the Texans. I guess I should have said Green isn't a bust YET. Green's career isn't officially over. If he never plays again then he probably is.

I don't think it is fair to classify any player as a bust if he is legitimately injured in a football related game or practice and can no longer play. That's just real bad luck.....like the Celtics drafting Len Bias who dies before putting on a green uniform.

IMHO, busts are guys who have outstanding careers or are expected to become superstars and go on to have mediocre or worse years for the team that signed them. Neither Green nor Barrow qualify IMO.

Examples:

Even the original list of supposed FA on it was actually more than half trades. Come one guys, do your homework before you pop off here, please.

Whats the diff. Trade or FA we stink at aquiring both. How about letting S. Davis go, was that a mistake? Deion Sanders is another. Lets not forget about the draft. Howard, Westbrook etc.

I don't think it is fair to classify any player as a bust if he is legitimately injured in a football related game or practice and can no longer play. That's just real bad luck.....like the Celtics drafting Len Bias who dies before putting on a green uniform.

IMHO, busts are guys who have outstanding careers or are expected to become superstars and go on to have mediocre or worse years for the team that signed them. Neither Green nor Barrow qualify IMO.

Fair enough, but what about Jerry Rice signing for the Raiders or Joe Montana signing for the Chiefs? What do you say about those?

Archived