Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

High $ FA busts other than 'Skins

herb mul-key

ok everyone wants to pick on our FO for Loyd, Arch, Duckett and I am no Vinnie or Danny lover but hey...Gibbs has brought in some great guys and missed a few for sure...but dang its not like an exact science and a few teams have invested in High $ FA that it did not work out either.

Lets see.... other High $$$ FA busts by FO around the league: in no particluar order just what come to mind...have any more?

Jevon Kearse -Philly

Daunte Culpeper - Miami

Trent Green to Miami

Randy Moss to Oakland

Elvis Grbac to Bmore

T Owens to Philly

Joey Porter to Miami- jury is out I guess but they are 0-8?

I know there are more my mind is blanking...help..

Everybody picks on us because we go solely after free agents, instead of building through the draft. When that happens, we tend to come out with a higher percentage of busts than a lot of other teams, so we catch heat. Every team has their FA mistakes, we just have too many of them.

I'm not sure TO qualifies as a bust in the true sense of the word. I actually happen to agree with TO here. TO was ridiculously good with the Eagles. He made that team very dangerous all by himself practically. He caught 14 TD's that year with them.

The Eagles FO handled it very poorly IMO and simply exacerbated the situation. Say what you will about him, but TO showed up for every game including the playoffs and SB after having pretty serious surgery. McNabb cost them the SB and not TO IMO.

I also think all of the one's you list pale in comparison to the Adam and Lloyd debacles.

Trent Green to Miami

Randy Moss to Oakland

Elvis Grbac to Bmore

T Owens to Philly

not all of those are FAs. Moss and Green were acquired via trade.

I hesitate to call Trent Green a bust in Miami. It's not his fault he suffered a career-ending injury like that. I'd also hold out on Porter in Miami. He's only been there for half a season on a team that lost its starting QB, RB and both safeties to season-ending injuries and traded away Chris Chambers. Can't blame him for all of that.

TO helped Philly get to the SB. I know he was a cancer there, but the team hasn't gotten close to that success since the day he left. So in a way, he was and wasn't a bust.

a couple other FA busts that come to mind:

QB Scott "Let's get rid of Dan Marino" Mitchell to Lions

S Mark Carrier to Redskins

LB Mike Barrow to Redskins

QB Jeff George to anyone who picked him up

CB Larry Brown to Raiders

LaVar Arrington to Giants

I hesitate to call Trent Green a bust in Miami. It's not his fault he suffered a career-ending injury like that.

a couple other FA busts that come to mind:

QB Scott "Let's get rid of Dan Marino" Mitchell to Lions

S Mark Carrier to Redskins

LB Mike Barrow to Redskins

QB Jeff George to anyone who picked him up

CB Larry Brown to Raiders

LaVar Arrington to Giants

Green's not a bust because he got injured but Barrow is a bust because he got injured??????? Not too logical there.....

Oh...I guess I can think of a few more.....

Can we not remember Dana Stubblefield and Dion Sanders?

or

Desmond Howard signed by the Raiders

Chester McGlocklton signed by the Chiefs

Yancy Thigpen signed by the Titans

Sean Gilbert to the Panthers

Nate Odoms to the Seahawks

Tony Casillas to the Chiefs

Alvin Harper to the Bucs

Ed Hartwell to the Falcons

So the Skins are not the only guilty teams out there.

Frankly, the number of draft busts far outweighs the number of free agent busts.....yet everyone wants those draft choices that often never pan out..... Top ten draft busts would be a very long list......and they should be the most reliable picks......

Willis McGahee isn't doing wonders up in Baltimore (at least the wonders he was expected to do) but I'm assuming its similar to CP's situation here - battered Oline. He was a trade though.

other names that come to mind, Jason David down in New Orleans, but I think he's starting to become acclimated to their system and is getting better.

edit, frankly, our recent track record of good FA acquisitions is better than our bad FA acquisitions

Randy Thomas, Mark Brunell (face it, he helped us alot at times), hell even Todd Collins, Shawn Springs is doing well, London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Casey Rabach, Pierson Prioleau, Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels (he is getting old), ARE (starting to do well), Todd Wade (good backup), Derrick Frost and Todd Yoder

are all current FA acquisitions that I can name that have been paying dividends, compared to

Adam Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd

everyone in the above list, except Randy Thomas all signed with the Redskins AFTER Gibbs came back. I'm sure there are a few more FA acquisition busts during that time, but I can't seem to name them. We're doing well for sure.

Dockery to Buffalo

Clements to San Fran

Was just about to mention the 9ers thing. I would love to ask if Adam Schein is still "Rollin with Nolan" in his column to be honest. Considering he berated us a few years ago yet sucked up to those guys after their "retooling for a Superbowl run" off-season.

/rant.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

Jevon Kearse -Philly

Daunte Culpeper - Miami

Trent Green to Miami

Randy Moss to Oakland

Elvis Grbac to Bmore

T Owens to Philly

I know there are more my mind is blanking...help..

Where are you going with this?

All the folks you listed PLAYED. Maybe not as great as expected, some yes, some no, but they all played and contributed.

AA, Lloyd, Duckett, our busts were...busts. I think we hold the title for biggests busts.

Which can't be all bad. :laugh: :cheers:

Archived