Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't we get our WR's into the game??

FanSinceSonnyJ

It really has nothing to do with our receivers.

If you've seen the games since week 2 you've noticed we're doing a lot of quick drops 1, 3 step drops. This is due to the lack of protection. This was shown nationally when we tried to go downfield and Vrabel smoked past Wade and sacked Campbell 3 times. These were all while we were trying to go down field. We don't have the time.

What I am expecting to see this week is a lot of running the ball. I don't mean the usual cliche, I mean expect 30-35 rushes broken up as 15 for CP (slowed by injury) 15 for Betts and 5 for Sellers with a reverse here or there.

Lets not forget how many drops we've had this year. Our receivers have had the opportunity, they just haven't been able to hold on.

It really has nothing to do with our receivers.

If you've seen the games since week 2 you've noticed we're doing a lot of quick drops 1, 3 step drops. This is due to the lack of protection. This was shown nationally when we tried to go downfield and Vrabel smoked past Wade and sacked Campbell 3 times. These were all while we were trying to go down field. We don't have the time.

What I am expecting to see this week is a lot of running the ball. I don't mean the usual cliche, I mean expect 30-35 rushes broken up as 15 for CP (slowed by injury) 15 for Betts and 5 for Sellers with a reverse here or there.

Lets not forget how many drops we've had this year. Our receivers have had the opportunity, they just haven't been able to hold on.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm not convinced he is reading the field well. But like you say, the supporting cast has done very little to help him out.

Moss, ARE are decent complimentary WR's but we are definitely lacking that elite go to guy who has size and is rugged.

The gaping holes in our O is painfully obvious to all who look at it objectively.

We aren't really "lacking" in skill players. We are lacking in O-Line.

We are lacking in O-Line.

You can say that we could have better skill players, and you may be right, but our struggles right now stem from our O-Line.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm not convinced he is reading the field well. But like you say, the supporting cast has done very little to help him out.

Moss, ARE are decent complimentary WR's but we are definitely lacking that elite go to guy who has size and is rugged.

The gaping holes in our O is painfully obvious to all who look at it objectively.

We aren't really "lacking" in skill players. We are lacking in O-Line.

You can say that we could have better skill players, and you may be right, but our struggles right now stem from our O-Line.

Oline cant stop a fart from cutting thru. JC is still learning. He has the talent, but needs the knowledge... That takes time...

WR cant get but 3 yrds down feild before he's shuffling his feet. Then it really seems like the game plan is flawed....

Oline cant stop a fart from cutting thru. JC is still learning. He has the talent, but needs the knowledge... That takes time...

WR cant get but 3 yrds down feild before he's shuffling his feet. Then it really seems like the game plan is flawed....

the line cant pass protect long enough to give campbell a chance to progress through his reads, if the first option is taken away which S Moss was the target early Campbell had to find either cooley or ARE. the patriots ran a deep zone the entire game and gave a ton of exotic zone blitz scheme forcing the QB to make quick desicions. they took away the short pass with 4 LB's by either blitzing any of the 4 against a weak offensive line with pass protection issues. the poor pass protection forced Campbell to make quick desicions maintaining 4 DB's when blitzing to detour quick or deep passes. the hope to exploit a 3-4 defense should have been to get CP and LB more carries in order to open up PA pass. it worked early in the game but when Campbell had his shots the line still couldnt hold up long enough for campbell to step into his throws, its tough on a guy when the defense gives you coverage looks that you dont see often. due to it being his 1st time in his NFL career facing a pats 3-4 defense IMHO its asking a young QB too much when he throws 39 times. CP had only 12 carries and helped out alot during max protection which only allows 2 WR's and maybe the TE out on pass routes. the pats were still able to bring pressure getting alot of success blitzing the 2 outside LB's inwhich Wade allowed Vrabel to get through untouched on several occasion producing 3 FF's and a erant deep pass to Thrash for a easy INT. the gameplan the pats used to take away the passing game worked well when the redskins fell behind in the score and was forced to pass more which exposed the offensive line trouble we have.

the line cant pass protect long enough to give campbell a chance to progress through his reads, if the first option is taken away which S Moss was the target early Campbell had to find either cooley or ARE. the patriots ran a deep zone the entire game and gave a ton of exotic zone blitz scheme forcing the QB to make quick desicions. they took away the short pass with 4 LB's by either blitzing any of the 4 against a weak offensive line with pass protection issues. the poor pass protection forced Campbell to make quick desicions maintaining 4 DB's when blitzing to detour quick or deep passes. the hope to exploit a 3-4 defense should have been to get CP and LB more carries in order to open up PA pass. it worked early in the game but when Campbell had his shots the line still couldnt hold up long enough for campbell to step into his throws, its tough on a guy when the defense gives you coverage looks that you dont see often. due to it being his 1st time in his NFL career facing a pats 3-4 defense IMHO its asking a young QB too much when he throws 39 times. CP had only 12 carries and helped out alot during max protection which only allows 2 WR's and maybe the TE out on pass routes. the pats were still able to bring pressure getting alot of success blitzing the 2 outside LB's inwhich Wade allowed Vrabel to get through untouched on several occasion producing 3 FF's and a erant deep pass to Thrash for a easy INT. the gameplan the pats used to take away the passing game worked well when the redskins fell behind in the score and was forced to pass more which exposed the offensive line trouble we have.

There have been a lot of drops this year especially by moss. I would have thought that he would have stepped it up by now. I can tell you that we really need to evaluate what we are going to do with our WR next year. I guess drafting a guy would be ideal, but I do think that the first two picks should be a lineman on offense and defense.

There have been a lot of drops this year especially by moss. I would have thought that he would have stepped it up by now. I can tell you that we really need to evaluate what we are going to do with our WR next year. I guess drafting a guy would be ideal, but I do think that the first two picks should be a lineman on offense and defense.

It's a bit early to cut bait with Moss. He didn't drop any in the Pats game. Wait and see lest you judge early.

It's a bit early to cut bait with Moss. He didn't drop any in the Pats game. Wait and see lest you judge early.

Quick slants don't require more than a 3 step drop, and they don't require much pass protection. They do however get the ball into the hands of the WR when he's at speed and can make some YAC.....unlike the overused, predictable, unproductive, lame WR screens we run 20 times a game.

Quick slants don't require more than a 3 step drop, and they don't require much pass protection. They do however get the ball into the hands of the WR when he's at speed and can make some YAC.....unlike the overused, predictable, unproductive, lame WR screens we run 20 times a game.

yup. we need a big guy. I hope we get Limas Sweed in the draft. he should be a 2nd rounder. Maybe even a late 1st.

Completely agree. I think if Sweed goes in the 2nd round and we pick him up we will have made out like bandits. The guy is big, tough, and just has amazing hands.

yup. we need a big guy. I hope we get Limas Sweed in the draft. he should be a 2nd rounder. Maybe even a late 1st.

Completely agree. I think if Sweed goes in the 2nd round and we pick him up we will have made out like bandits. The guy is big, tough, and just has amazing hands.

We actually have to throw to a WR in the red zone every now and then. From what I've seen so far, we really haven't been doing that. Not all WR TDs come from the long ball guys. I don't know if it's the o-line or just Campbell trying to be safe with the ball, but something needs to be done here.

At the same time, as long as we score does it really matter who's catching the ball or running it in? Six points is six points no matter who scores...at this rate SOMEBODY has to.

We actually have to throw to a WR in the red zone every now and then. From what I've seen so far, we really haven't been doing that. Not all WR TDs come from the long ball guys. I don't know if it's the o-line or just Campbell trying to be safe with the ball, but something needs to be done here.

At the same time, as long as we score does it really matter who's catching the ball or running it in? Six points is six points no matter who scores...at this rate SOMEBODY has to.

Archived