Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't we get our WR's into the game??

FanSinceSonnyJ

I think its a combination of both O-line issues and lack of execution from our WR staff. Say what you want about Jason Campbell, he's not even played a full season yet but when the balls in our WR's hands they drop it. Yes, he does overthrow & miss out on easy dunks but when the balls in the hands of our WR's, they have to do their part and catch the ball. If Jason is to become better our WR core have to do their part - its got to be demoralizing for a young guy to put passes right into veteran WR who just drop completely catchable balls. Blame it on coaching or whatever but our O-Line is struggling, we make bad defensive teams look like pro-bowlers and half of the time we hurt ourself which is unacceptable. We do have back-ups on out O-line but they are still "NFL" players and should be able to do an adequate job, if they can't they have no business being on the field and thats definitely a coaching and personnel issue.

I think its a combination of both O-line issues and lack of execution from our WR staff. Say what you want about Jason Campbell, he's not even played a full season yet but when the balls in our WR's hands they drop it. Yes, he does overthrow & miss out on easy dunks but when the balls in the hands of our WR's, they have to do their part and catch the ball. If Jason is to become better our WR core have to do their part - its got to be demoralizing for a young guy to put passes right into veteran WR who just drop completely catchable balls. Blame it on coaching or whatever but our O-Line is struggling, we make bad defensive teams look like pro-bowlers and half of the time we hurt ourself which is unacceptable. We do have back-ups on out O-line but they are still "NFL" players and should be able to do an adequate job, if they can't they have no business being on the field and thats definitely a coaching and personnel issue.

Maybe Saunders offense is based on a great OL and we don't have one?

Even in KC, no receiver was a big part of the offense. It was all about the 1500 yard back rushing for 20+ TD's with a TE catching 70-80 balls with a great OL beating the **** out of defenses.

We have the TE, our OL is 1/5th of KC's OL, and Portis isn't a tough back and has been called out for not conditioning himself in the offseason.

Even in KC, no receiver was a big part of the offense. It was all about the 1500 yard back rushing for 20+ TD's with a TE catching 70-80 balls with a great OL beating the **** out of defenses.

We have the TE, our OL is 1/5th of KC's OL, and Portis isn't a tough back and has been called out for not conditioning himself in the offseason.

It really has nothing to do with our receivers.

If you've seen the games since week 2 you've noticed we're doing a lot of quick drops 1, 3 step drops. This is due to the lack of protection. This was shown nationally when we tried to go downfield and Vrabel smoked past Wade and sacked Campbell 3 times. These were all while we were trying to go down field. We don't have the time.

What I am expecting to see this week is a lot of running the ball. I don't mean the usual cliche, I mean expect 30-35 rushes broken up as 15 for CP (slowed by injury) 15 for Betts and 5 for Sellers with a reverse here or there.

Lets not forget how many drops we've had this year. Our receivers have had the opportunity, they just haven't been able to hold on.

What makes you think we can run the ball 30-35 times with success? Gibbs would do that every week if he could, but he can't because we only can gain about 2-3 yards/carry. So we gain about 4-5 yds combined on 1st and 2nd down and then throw an incompletion when everyone in the stadium knows we are going to throw on 3rd and 6. The old 3 and out drill that we have mastered over the past few years. The fact that our OL has so little depth that we can't run an offense when a couple of guys go down is inexcuseable. Injuries are part of the game.

It really has nothing to do with our receivers.

If you've seen the games since week 2 you've noticed we're doing a lot of quick drops 1, 3 step drops. This is due to the lack of protection. This was shown nationally when we tried to go downfield and Vrabel smoked past Wade and sacked Campbell 3 times. These were all while we were trying to go down field. We don't have the time.

What I am expecting to see this week is a lot of running the ball. I don't mean the usual cliche, I mean expect 30-35 rushes broken up as 15 for CP (slowed by injury) 15 for Betts and 5 for Sellers with a reverse here or there.

Lets not forget how many drops we've had this year. Our receivers have had the opportunity, they just haven't been able to hold on.

What makes you think we can run the ball 30-35 times with success? Gibbs would do that every week if he could, but he can't because we only can gain about 2-3 yards/carry. So we gain about 4-5 yds combined on 1st and 2nd down and then throw an incompletion when everyone in the stadium knows we are going to throw on 3rd and 6. The old 3 and out drill that we have mastered over the past few years. The fact that our OL has so little depth that we can't run an offense when a couple of guys go down is inexcuseable. Injuries are part of the game.

Quick slants don't require more than a 3 step drop, and they don't require much pass protection. They do however get the ball into the hands of the WR when he's at speed and can make some YAC.....unlike the overused, predictable, unproductive, lame WR screens we run 20 times a game.

We are so predictable in our offensive game that opposing defensive coordinators smile ear to ear when we come up on their schedule. Everyone on the field knows the WR screen is coming, so what do we do? Call it yet again!

Quick slants don't require more than a 3 step drop, and they don't require much pass protection. They do however get the ball into the hands of the WR when he's at speed and can make some YAC.....unlike the overused, predictable, unproductive, lame WR screens we run 20 times a game.

We are so predictable in our offensive game that opposing defensive coordinators smile ear to ear when we come up on their schedule. Everyone on the field knows the WR screen is coming, so what do we do? Call it yet again!

I am getting so sick of seeing the same damn threads all the damn time with just a different title...WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

Stop blaming Campbell for the receivers that can't catch the damn ball. Stop blaming a poor the coaches for not coming up with a better offensive plan and not throwing deep when Campbell doesn't have the time to let the WRs get open downfield. You guys have such short memories...Campbell was throwing bombs down the field all the time when he had protection that gave him the time.

For those that say he is inaccurate..you are sadly..sadly mistaken. His deep ball is quite accurate, and his short passes are fairly accurate...it was always his intermediate that he had problems with. Unfortunately, due to lack of protection, the intermediate is all he has time for.

so I will start this again for the slow ones out there....IT'S THE O-LINE!!!!!!! The line has been destroyed.

I'll state it again for those that still don't get it...OUR O-LINE IS INJURED. There does that clear things up or shall I state the problem with our o-line again? Because it seems no matter how many times the Oline being injured is mentioned as to why we have no running game or why we don't throw deep anymore people don't understand that because our Oline is so injured Campbell can't throw the ball downfield...see if he doesn't have more then 3 secs, WRs can't get open...and because our oline is injured he doesn't get more then 3 secs.

(I hope in my endless rambling you get the point...yes I know I mentioned our oline being injured as the problem several times...probably because it is and no one seems to understand that our oline being injured is the problem) ;)

I am getting so sick of seeing the same damn threads all the damn time with just a different title...WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

Stop blaming Campbell for the receivers that can't catch the damn ball. Stop blaming a poor the coaches for not coming up with a better offensive plan and not throwing deep when Campbell doesn't have the time to let the WRs get open downfield. You guys have such short memories...Campbell was throwing bombs down the field all the time when he had protection that gave him the time.

For those that say he is inaccurate..you are sadly..sadly mistaken. His deep ball is quite accurate, and his short passes are fairly accurate...it was always his intermediate that he had problems with. Unfortunately, due to lack of protection, the intermediate is all he has time for.

so I will start this again for the slow ones out there....IT'S THE O-LINE!!!!!!! The line has been destroyed.

I'll state it again for those that still don't get it...OUR O-LINE IS INJURED. There does that clear things up or shall I state the problem with our o-line again? Because it seems no matter how many times the Oline being injured is mentioned as to why we have no running game or why we don't throw deep anymore people don't understand that because our Oline is so injured Campbell can't throw the ball downfield...see if he doesn't have more then 3 secs, WRs can't get open...and because our oline is injured he doesn't get more then 3 secs.

(I hope in my endless rambling you get the point...yes I know I mentioned our oline being injured as the problem several times...probably because it is and no one seems to understand that our oline being injured is the problem) ;)

I think we have covered all the bases here.

O-Line stinks, depth was not up to the task of playing FT

Young QB needs protection, and he's not getting it.

Playcalling is inconsistent and cautious

Wideouts are dropping balls when they DO get open.

Running game stinks and scares nobody

Clinton Portis is overrated and/or done as a feature back in this league.

Successful passing games in the NFL hit slants for big gains - We like the WR screen better though - Our players don't have to run too much so they like them too.

We haven't been able to cover halfback swing passes and screens against anybody ever.

In the old days, teams found a play or three that exploited a teams weaknesses and pounded them with those plays until your team stopped them. It seems the more we play, the more teams use those very same weaknesses against us and pound us without our coaching staff changing much if any at all. It seems that the coaches are too content with the situation and that filters on down to the players.

I really hated (loved) the way McNabb would open a game with a bomb against us all the time. We have tried that a few times but NEVER connected on it. We have tried to go down field and it hasn't worked. Everyone knows we're a run first team. Everyone that is, except our O-Line. :)

Oh yeah and everyone who keep repeating over and over again that Campbell has a pretty deep ball.... How do you know? He never completes them, so are they pretty in the air or are they pretty when they bounce off the turf?

I like Campbell, I really do, but without our A team on the O line we really need to buckle down and expect the worst. The whining and complaining will get worse and the staunch team first pretenders I mean defenders will have their will tested over and over again this year.

Unless this O Line morphs its over Johnny. I will ease back into the shadows now..

I think we have covered all the bases here.

O-Line stinks, depth was not up to the task of playing FT

Young QB needs protection, and he's not getting it.

Playcalling is inconsistent and cautious

Wideouts are dropping balls when they DO get open.

Running game stinks and scares nobody

Clinton Portis is overrated and/or done as a feature back in this league.

Successful passing games in the NFL hit slants for big gains - We like the WR screen better though - Our players don't have to run too much so they like them too.

We haven't been able to cover halfback swing passes and screens against anybody ever.

In the old days, teams found a play or three that exploited a teams weaknesses and pounded them with those plays until your team stopped them. It seems the more we play, the more teams use those very same weaknesses against us and pound us without our coaching staff changing much if any at all. It seems that the coaches are too content with the situation and that filters on down to the players.

I really hated (loved) the way McNabb would open a game with a bomb against us all the time. We have tried that a few times but NEVER connected on it. We have tried to go down field and it hasn't worked. Everyone knows we're a run first team. Everyone that is, except our O-Line. :)

Oh yeah and everyone who keep repeating over and over again that Campbell has a pretty deep ball.... How do you know? He never completes them, so are they pretty in the air or are they pretty when they bounce off the turf?

I like Campbell, I really do, but without our A team on the O line we really need to buckle down and expect the worst. The whining and complaining will get worse and the staunch team first pretenders I mean defenders will have their will tested over and over again this year.

Unless this O Line morphs its over Johnny. I will ease back into the shadows now..

We lack the 3 basic things nec for a sucessful passing game but the most important one is that our receivers are not that good except for Cooley. They are all discards from other teams. ARL is good but not a #1. I think Moss was 35 in the league last year. They do not get open and when they do they do not catch the ball never mind catching one in traffic. Someone mentioned Chad Johnson. I would love to get him but why would he want to come here. The winning NFL teams today can get the ball downfield by passing as the rules put in in the last few years make this pos. We cannot do this so we are going to be a second rate team untill we can. Look at the winning teams. They all have one thing in common. VERY GOOD QB's. We do not have that. Add the poor O-LINE and the result is what we have. One of the worst, boring, pathetic offences in the NFL. Getting killed by the Pats shows just how poor we play.

We lack the 3 basic things nec for a sucessful passing game but the most important one is that our receivers are not that good except for Cooley. They are all discards from other teams. ARL is good but not a #1. I think Moss was 35 in the league last year. They do not get open and when they do they do not catch the ball never mind catching one in traffic. Someone mentioned Chad Johnson. I would love to get him but why would he want to come here. The winning NFL teams today can get the ball downfield by passing as the rules put in in the last few years make this pos. We cannot do this so we are going to be a second rate team untill we can. Look at the winning teams. They all have one thing in common. VERY GOOD QB's. We do not have that. Add the poor O-LINE and the result is what we have. One of the worst, boring, pathetic offences in the NFL. Getting killed by the Pats shows just how poor we play.

I don't blame it on the size of the wideouts because that's just not a valid excuse with many small receivers doing big things. It's partially the dropped balls, and us not allowing them to run routes where they can do some run after the catch. Campbell's inaccuracy doesn't help either.

I don't blame it on the size of the wideouts because that's just not a valid excuse with many small receivers doing big things. It's partially the dropped balls, and us not allowing them to run routes where they can do some run after the catch. Campbell's inaccuracy doesn't help either.

exactly!!!!

exactly!!!!

We need to put McCardell in. In fact I think he should be the #3.

McCardell may be the 2nd best WR we have on this team. Moss should be demoted to the 3rd WR spot. Portis need to ride the bench with this patch work O-line we can't run the ball like we would like. Gibbs needs to let Saunders run the offense. Sellers should be our RB on all short yardage plays if we don't pass. He can get that one or two yards by himself. Like one poster said, this game with New England may have been a wakeup call for the season. We need to change our game plans on each side of the ball. Williams may understand now the he must Blitz. Hope we see a new Redskins team take the field for the Jets game.

We need to put McCardell in. In fact I think he should be the #3.

McCardell may be the 2nd best WR we have on this team. Moss should be demoted to the 3rd WR spot. Portis need to ride the bench with this patch work O-line we can't run the ball like we would like. Gibbs needs to let Saunders run the offense. Sellers should be our RB on all short yardage plays if we don't pass. He can get that one or two yards by himself. Like one poster said, this game with New England may have been a wakeup call for the season. We need to change our game plans on each side of the ball. Williams may understand now the he must Blitz. Hope we see a new Redskins team take the field for the Jets game.

You can help out a suspect O-Line with creative playcalling, but we don't seem capable of that. You can make up for a lack of running game with a creative passing game, but we don't have that either. We do have the league's most effective sideways offense though.

Archived