Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't we get our WR's into the game??

FanSinceSonnyJ

Sorry guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of how our WR's can't seem to chalk up any TD catches or for that matter not hearing anyone's name but Cooley and Moss called whenever we have a completion. It seems like we always throw underneath. I fully understand you can't throw deep all the time, but what about the medium game? What's the deal? Are our WR's just not getting open or is Campbell more comfortable just dumping it underneath to Cooley? Is he not reading the entire field? Based on how the Pats corners played on our WR's, it is obvious they had no fear of us going deep.

So what's the problem? Why can't we figure out how to get our WR's more touches? Is it because our offensive playbook is just so predictable that we can't disguise anything we do? Cooley and Moss are great, but the other guys rarely get throws their way. Why can't Lloyd, who looked impressive in SF, not even make any impact with us? Is it him or is it the offensive scheme? Yes, our OL is banged up (too bad we didn't have any depth after Jansen and Thomas went down), and yes our running game is now also subpar as a result - but for pete's sake can't we work someone else but Cooley and Moss into our passing attack? Gosh forbid one of them gets injured.

Hey Joe and Al - try something other than a flanker screen for a change!

We're going to have a tough time getting by any of our upcoming opponents if we can't even get our WR's open from time to time and start getting them in the game. Yet another problem that needs addressing with our "great" offense.

Sorry guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of how our WR's can't seem to chalk up any TD catches or for that matter not hearing anyone's name but Cooley and Moss called whenever we have a completion. It seems like we always throw underneath. I fully understand you can't throw deep all the time, but what about the medium game? What's the deal? Are our WR's just not getting open or is Campbell more comfortable just dumping it underneath to Cooley? Is he not reading the entire field? Based on how the Pats corners played on our WR's, it is obvious they had no fear of us going deep.

So what's the problem? Why can't we figure out how to get our WR's more touches? Is it because our offensive playbook is just so predictable that we can't disguise anything we do? Cooley and Moss are great, but the other guys rarely get throws their way. Why can't Lloyd, who looked impressive in SF, not even make any impact with us? Is it him or is it the offensive scheme? Yes, our OL is banged up (too bad we didn't have any depth after Jansen and Thomas went down), and yes our running game is now also subpar as a result - but for pete's sake can't we work someone else but Cooley and Moss into our passing attack? Gosh forbid one of them gets injured.

Hey Joe and Al - try something other than a flanker screen for a change!

We're going to have a tough time getting by any of our upcoming opponents if we can't even get our WR's open from time to time and start getting them in the game. Yet another problem that needs addressing with our "great" offense.

The truth hurts.

We don't have the receivers. We have ARE and that's it right now. And with all due respect to him, I've wanted him here since he was drafted, but if HE is our #1, then we hav ea problem.

yup. we need a big guy. I hope we get Limas Sweed in the draft. he should be a 2nd rounder. Maybe even a late 1st.

The truth hurts.

We don't have the receivers. We have ARE and that's it right now. And with all due respect to him, I've wanted him here since he was drafted, but if HE is our #1, then we hav ea problem.

yup. we need a big guy. I hope we get Limas Sweed in the draft. he should be a 2nd rounder. Maybe even a late 1st.

The truth hurts.

You may be right. Moss and ARE are more complimentary type WR's but not the sturdy over the middle types like Hines Ward, Chad Johnson, etc. Lloyd being a total bust is a definite issue, if he really does suck, start getting the elderly McCardell in the game. He runs great routes, gets open, and catches everything.

The truth hurts.

You may be right. Moss and ARE are more complimentary type WR's but not the sturdy over the middle types like Hines Ward, Chad Johnson, etc. Lloyd being a total bust is a definite issue, if he really does suck, start getting the elderly McCardell in the game. He runs great routes, gets open, and catches everything.

Our QB isn't very good. His accuracy is very inconsistent and he misses a lot of easy throws. On top of that we don't help him out with our weapons. We have guys that are second or third recievers on most teams. Not to mention Moss hasn't been right all season. What this offense needs is some elite talent, because it has absolutly none.

Our QB isn't very good. His accuracy is very inconsistent and he misses a lot of easy throws. On top of that we don't help him out with our weapons. We have guys that are second or third recievers on most teams. Not to mention Moss hasn't been right all season. What this offense needs is some elite talent, because it has absolutly none.

I disagree with your first sentence. I would say the WRs have more drops than JC has errant throws this season, or pretty darn close. Also, we are calling Mark Brunell plays for JC, which is not playing to his strengths. We need to use the middle of the field more, and we need to try to stretch the D with deep throws at least once a quarter, because JC can throw and all our WRs can run.

I disagree with your first sentence. I would say the WRs have more drops than JC has errant throws this season, or pretty darn close. Also, we are calling Mark Brunell plays for JC, which is not playing to his strengths. We need to use the middle of the field more, and we need to try to stretch the D with deep throws at least once a quarter, because JC can throw and all our WRs can run.

I don't care who we get as long as it isn't a high priced free agent who was a one hit wonder with some other team.

But the fact is we can't get the ball to the receivers because of two reasons:

1) the play calling

2) The offensive line

They go hand in hand really. The o line isn't blocking well in passing downs, and therefore the coaching staff isn't calling plays to get the WR's down the field. When they do it's sack, fumble, touchdown.

I'd really like to get a GOOD #1 WR but the problem is they are NOT easy to find in the draft. Look at the Lions...

And I'm instantly regreting this but what if Chad Johnson becomes available. I'm going against what I said with regards to a high priced free agent, but Chad is a sexy pickup. He's got good numbers and produces year after year...

Thoughts?

I don't care who we get as long as it isn't a high priced free agent who was a one hit wonder with some other team.

But the fact is we can't get the ball to the receivers because of two reasons:

1) the play calling

2) The offensive line

They go hand in hand really. The o line isn't blocking well in passing downs, and therefore the coaching staff isn't calling plays to get the WR's down the field. When they do it's sack, fumble, touchdown.

I'd really like to get a GOOD #1 WR but the problem is they are NOT easy to find in the draft. Look at the Lions...

And I'm instantly regreting this but what if Chad Johnson becomes available. I'm going against what I said with regards to a high priced free agent, but Chad is a sexy pickup. He's got good numbers and produces year after year...

Thoughts?

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm not convinced he is reading the field well. But like you say, the supporting cast has done very little to help him out.

Moss, ARE are decent complimentary WR's but we are definitely lacking that elite go to guy who has size and is rugged.

The gaping holes in our O is painfully obvious to all who look at it objectively.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm not convinced he is reading the field well. But like you say, the supporting cast has done very little to help him out.

Moss, ARE are decent complimentary WR's but we are definitely lacking that elite go to guy who has size and is rugged.

The gaping holes in our O is painfully obvious to all who look at it objectively.

Archived