Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't we get our WR's into the game??

FanSinceSonnyJ

Not lacking skill players? Are you satisfied with our WR corp? Outside of Cooley is anyone shining on offense? Certainly not JC, CP, Moss, or ARE. Come on, it would be nice to see some sort of indication that we were capable of getting the ball down the field.

After 3.5 years, I've seen no real improvement in our offense and it is not just the OL injuries that are the problem this year, it's the lack of talented skill players and the playbook.

I don't think I said we couldn't use some help in skill players, given their performance this year. My point is that I think they underperformed in the first few games. I also think our playcalling has changed since those games to accomodate two things- our underperforming skill players and our very patchwork OLine.

It is not just the OL injuries that are the problem this year, you're right. Most recently, that is the problem. Earlier, though, those drops were key. It wasn't one by one player, it was many by different players. Every receiver has had a piece, and Cooley has dropped a couple of his own. Not that you need to make every catch though, it just hurts to see the unit as a whole struggling.

We did go deep earlier in the season, and there were drops. When the protection isn't there, and you try to go deep, you run a high risk of fumbles. That should be pretty obvious from what we saw on Sunday. So then you start seeing quick-outs, but those have to be successful to draw off the rush, or you have to develop a running game.

The playcallers have to find a way to work with the personnel they have, and the pleyers have to execute. Part of that is obviously gameplanning and preparation, and then the execution. I think they're struggling on all fronts right now. And that's when you see 52-7.

But the thing is, a great OLine masks SO MUCH of your problems. With a great OLine and good blocking, a mediocre back can have a good chance at 4 yards a carry. With a great OLine and good blocking, all of a sudden we don't have those turnovers last Sunday maybe. So many things when you have better OLine performance than what we've had this year. I just think we need better depth on the OLine, and maybe better conditioning. Hope those stretches are working out at least... man.

We have the deepest recieving core in the entire NFL, save for the Patriots.

I know its popular to say the WRs just arent good, but thats isnt, and has never been based in fact. Moss, Pro-bowl 1000 yd reciever. Randle El, well, weve already seen what he can do in Pitt and here. Lloyd, hes the most unproven of the bunch(still has lots of talent though. Thrash was a proven 1000 yard reciever on a perenial NFC Championship team. McCardell? Another proven 1000 yard reciever, another SB ring. Our last guy? Patriots #1 last season.

Thats a WR core teams would kill to have. What we dont have is a coaching staff that will let us use them. The HEALTHIEST part of our entire team, on offense and defense is our WR core, and yet how often do we run a 3 WR set? Shotgun? Hah.

I know its popular to say the WRs just arent good, but thats isnt, and has never been based in fact. Moss, Pro-bowl 1000 yd reciever. Randle El, well, weve already seen what he can do in Pitt and here. Lloyd, hes the most unproven of the bunch(still has lots of talent though. Thrash was a proven 1000 yard reciever on a perenial NFC Championship team. McCardell? Another proven 1000 yard reciever, another SB ring. Our last guy? Patriots #1 last season.

Thats a WR core teams would kill to have. What we dont have is a coaching staff that will let us use them. The HEALTHIEST part of our entire team, on offense and defense is our WR core, and yet how often do we run a 3 WR set? Shotgun? Hah.

If we can;t block well, then go 5 wide shotgun for a while.

If we can;t block well, then go 5 wide shotgun for a while.

Archived