Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

6'5 former 10th overall pick, Mike Williams waived by Oakland (merged)

@DCGoldPants

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Considering how desperate some were for him--perhaps a tryout is in order.

I was in the Williams camp a few years back, guess that's why I'm not getting paid to scout talent ;p..

Anyway I'd sign to see what he had. I'd like to get a WR in the draft though.

Considering how desperate some were for him--perhaps a tryout is in order.

I was in the Williams camp a few years back, guess that's why I'm not getting paid to scout talent ;p..

Anyway I'd sign to see what he had. I'd like to get a WR in the draft though.

Hell, with Taylor being 6'2 (or at least listed at 6'2) maybe we should let him run a couple WR routes. He would be our tallest WR out there. Someone asked this question tonight on redskin's radio Joe Gibbs show. He said that he has no doubt that Sean could play offense for us, but he has his hands full playing defense. Eh.... Although it would be a damn shame if he took a Taylor type hit playing WR and got hurt.

Hell, with Taylor being 6'2 (or at least listed at 6'2) maybe we should let him run a couple WR routes. He would be our tallest WR out there. Someone asked this question tonight on redskin's radio Joe Gibbs show. He said that he has no doubt that Sean could play offense for us, but he has his hands full playing defense. Eh.... Although it would be a damn shame if he took a Taylor type hit playing WR and got hurt.

I was one of the people that had hoped Mike Williams would slip to us in the 2005 draft, and regretfully accepted the Rogers pick as more of an important need for the team. However, Mike Williams hasn't done anything in the league except had problems with work ethic, weight, route-running ability, and hands.

He was let go from two of the worst teams in the league the past couple of years in the Lions and the Raiders. Keep in mind that the Oakland Raiders head coach is Lane Kiffin, who was Williams' WR coach at USC. If he couldn't get him back to his all-world form in college, than why should we consider him?

Some quotes from Kiffin:

"The word 'pleased' isn't anywhere near Mike Williams right now," Kiffin said. "He's in position to make plays, but that doesn't do you any good if you don't make them." One of Williams' drops would have been a touchdown and he later lost a fumble after finally holding on to his lone catch of the afternoon. - Sept. 25

And the direct reason for his release:

Raiders waived WR Mike Williams.

What a way to go out. Williams made some progress in Oakland, but was inconsistent and dropped a key pass on fourth-and-14 last week that ended the game for the Raiders.

Unfortunately, he seems to be another WR bust, joining the large crowd of top notch college players that can't take their game to the next level in the NFL.

Al Saunders' scheme is focused on timing and running good routes (a possible reason why Lloyd isn't getting as much playing time?? and also why the pressure on Jason has had a severe impact). Mike Williams could be a solid red zone threat for teams, but the fact is we have big guys that can get open by the goal line. How many times have we used Cooley and Sellers once we get into the red zone? Our problem is mainly on third-down conversions and not red-zone efficiency. We need to sustain drives and be consistent on offense. I don't think Mike Williams can be counted on as a possession receiver to move the sticks.

The guy has talent, but attitude issues that won't work under this coaching staff. Despite our short receivers, Mike Williams isn't any answer to our offensive problems.

I was one of the people that had hoped Mike Williams would slip to us in the 2005 draft, and regretfully accepted the Rogers pick as more of an important need for the team. However, Mike Williams hasn't done anything in the league except had problems with work ethic, weight, route-running ability, and hands.

He was let go from two of the worst teams in the league the past couple of years in the Lions and the Raiders. Keep in mind that the Oakland Raiders head coach is Lane Kiffin, who was Williams' WR coach at USC. If he couldn't get him back to his all-world form in college, than why should we consider him?

Some quotes from Kiffin:

"The word 'pleased' isn't anywhere near Mike Williams right now," Kiffin said. "He's in position to make plays, but that doesn't do you any good if you don't make them." One of Williams' drops would have been a touchdown and he later lost a fumble after finally holding on to his lone catch of the afternoon. - Sept. 25

And the direct reason for his release:

Raiders waived WR Mike Williams.

What a way to go out. Williams made some progress in Oakland, but was inconsistent and dropped a key pass on fourth-and-14 last week that ended the game for the Raiders.

Unfortunately, he seems to be another WR bust, joining the large crowd of top notch college players that can't take their game to the next level in the NFL.

Al Saunders' scheme is focused on timing and running good routes (a possible reason why Lloyd isn't getting as much playing time?? and also why the pressure on Jason has had a severe impact). Mike Williams could be a solid red zone threat for teams, but the fact is we have big guys that can get open by the goal line. How many times have we used Cooley and Sellers once we get into the red zone? Our problem is mainly on third-down conversions and not red-zone efficiency. We need to sustain drives and be consistent on offense. I don't think Mike Williams can be counted on as a possession receiver to move the sticks.

The guy has talent, but attitude issues that won't work under this coaching staff. Despite our short receivers, Mike Williams isn't any answer to our offensive problems.

He has all the talent in the world, but clearly does not have the work ethic to make it in this league. I remember watching him in college and thinking, "wow this guy is gonna be ridiculous." Then he got drafted. In all honesty, I wanted him when we got Carlos Rogers instead. I guess that was a better move in hindsight.

I don't think we shoud sign him, but if it is an off-season tryout then go ahead I guess. It wouldn't hurt that much.

He has all the talent in the world, but clearly does not have the work ethic to make it in this league. I remember watching him in college and thinking, "wow this guy is gonna be ridiculous." Then he got drafted. In all honesty, I wanted him when we got Carlos Rogers instead. I guess that was a better move in hindsight.

I don't think we shoud sign him, but if it is an off-season tryout then go ahead I guess. It wouldn't hurt that much.

M. Williams has issues with responsibility, work ethic, self discipline and motivation. Our system requires the WRs to exercise a fairly high level of autonomy in adjusting routes based on coverages and to be at a specific spot on the field at a certain time without fail, otherwise an INT may well be the result. Sounds like a good match to me.:rolleyes:

M. Williams has issues with responsibility, work ethic, self discipline and motivation. Our system requires the WRs to exercise a fairly high level of autonomy in adjusting routes based on coverages and to be at a specific spot on the field at a certain time without fail, otherwise an INT may well be the result. Sounds like a good match to me.:rolleyes:

Archived