Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I were Gregg Williams...

Master Blaster

Here's how I'd play the Pats.

Base package would be the nickel, with Marcus playing some DE, rotating Wilson and Evans in their to keep DL fresh. McIntosh and Fletcher our LB's.

Play basically a man Cover 2 concept. Two different personnel packages in the secondary. Could go with Springs, Smoot and Rogers all in at the same time, manned up on Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Landry and Taylor playing Cover 2 over the top to break on the ball when it's thrown. OR, we could man up Taylor on Moss the whole time (will lose his roaming ability however), with Landry and Priolaeu (sp?) over the top. We could then rotate the three CB's on the other two WR's to keep them fresh.

Granted, I would not exclusively run this all the time, but I feel this is the best way to defend NE. Make them run the ball to beat us, because they have sure as hell shown they can win throwing. Taylor has shown he can stop Moss, so it may be best to put him on him the whole day, but would limit the range of our Safeties. Couple this scheme with a few well-timed blitzes, and we have the ability to limit NE's attack.

Just my :2cents:. What do you think?

Here's how I'd play the Pats.

Base package would be the nickel, with Marcus playing some DE, rotating Wilson and Evans in their to keep DL fresh. McIntosh and Fletcher our LB's.

Play basically a man Cover 2 concept. Two different personnel packages in the secondary. Could go with Springs, Smoot and Rogers all in at the same time, manned up on Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Landry and Taylor playing Cover 2 over the top to break on the ball when it's thrown. OR, we could man up Taylor on Moss the whole time (will lose his roaming ability however), with Landry and Priolaeu (sp?) over the top. We could then rotate the three CB's on the other two WR's to keep them fresh.

Granted, I would not exclusively run this all the time, but I feel this is the best way to defend NE. Make them run the ball to beat us, because they have sure as hell shown they can win throwing. Taylor has shown he can stop Moss, so it may be best to put him on him the whole day, but would limit the range of our Safeties. Couple this scheme with a few well-timed blitzes, and we have the ability to limit NE's attack.

Just my :2cents:. What do you think?

I would watch the film from our game vs Detroit. Nobody has been able to stop New England yet, so there is no way to watch film and take notes on anyone elses schemes.

Take what you see that we did against Detroit, and watch the film from New England and do about the same thing.

I would watch the film from our game vs Detroit. Nobody has been able to stop New England yet, so there is no way to watch film and take notes on anyone elses schemes.

Take what you see that we did against Detroit, and watch the film from New England and do about the same thing.

i think i would run more cover 3 than cover 2. that would allow landry to step up into the middle of the field to take away their crossing routes and deliver some pain and force brady to try to beat taylor by putting the ball up for grabs.

i think i would run more cover 3 than cover 2. that would allow landry to step up into the middle of the field to take away their crossing routes and deliver some pain and force brady to try to beat taylor by putting the ball up for grabs.

I have a feeling Gregg has already derived a gameplan of his own.

Geez, I never thought of that. Do you honestly think I didn't realize that? This is just a fun way to discuss what posters here think we should do to the Pats. Would you rather I start a threat about how "Gibbs has lost his ability to coach," or "Portis needs to Go!," or how about "Redskins suck so bad, who do we take with the first pick in the draft?" Let's try to actually talk some football.

Geez, I never thought of that. Do you honestly think I didn't realize that? This is just a fun way to discuss what posters here think we should do to the Pats. Would you rather I start a threat about how "Gibbs has lost his ability to coach," or "Portis needs to Go!," or how about "Redskins suck so bad, who do we take with the first pick in the draft?" Let's try to actually talk some football.

Thanx for that contribution.

I like the OP's idea of rotating the line to keep them fresh, but im a little skeptical onthe man coverage of Moss, Walker and Stallworth. Cover 2 zone maybe with the safeties shadowing the 1 and 2 recievers, leaving one LB in spy and one covering the TE. I think this is how to trap Brady. I wouldnt blitz on longer downs in the first half, only on the short yardage plays with the possibility of the run. Then in the second half Id switch it up and use a safety blitz on passing plays and 1st and second downs. If you keep Brady thinking or wondering with exotic looks, it will inhibit his train of thought, and hopefully his timing. I realize Im just an armchair coach, and maybe only part of what i would do would be effective, but what else can we do to keep the offense guessing?

As far as our offense goes? Its been proven that you can run on them, and I would force Sellers down their throat all of the first half. Sellers all day, and if they make adjustments for Sellers in the second half, Id exploit the age of their linebackers and run Cooley crossing routes through the middle and see if we can chew up yardage that way. We can do this, its a winnable game, we just have to be creative and a little devious. :2cents:

Thanx for that contribution.

I like the OP's idea of rotating the line to keep them fresh, but im a little skeptical onthe man coverage of Moss, Walker and Stallworth. Cover 2 zone maybe with the safeties shadowing the 1 and 2 recievers, leaving one LB in spy and one covering the TE. I think this is how to trap Brady. I wouldnt blitz on longer downs in the first half, only on the short yardage plays with the possibility of the run. Then in the second half Id switch it up and use a safety blitz on passing plays and 1st and second downs. If you keep Brady thinking or wondering with exotic looks, it will inhibit his train of thought, and hopefully his timing. I realize Im just an armchair coach, and maybe only part of what i would do would be effective, but what else can we do to keep the offense guessing?

As far as our offense goes? Its been proven that you can run on them, and I would force Sellers down their throat all of the first half. Sellers all day, and if they make adjustments for Sellers in the second half, Id exploit the age of their linebackers and run Cooley crossing routes through the middle and see if we can chew up yardage that way. We can do this, its a winnable game, we just have to be creative and a little devious. :2cents:

i feel like we have to blitz. i love and have faith in our secondary, but this WR corp is better than the lions and their offensive line is better than just about anyones. we need to get pressure to brady, and not let him have time to pick out recievers. i dont think our d-line alone can get constant pressure throughout the game (i hope im wrong), se we cant just sit back in coverage all day

i honestly CANT WAIT to see what gregg does with this defense on sunday....

i feel like we have to blitz. i love and have faith in our secondary, but this WR corp is better than the lions and their offensive line is better than just about anyones. we need to get pressure to brady, and not let him have time to pick out recievers. i dont think our d-line alone can get constant pressure throughout the game (i hope im wrong), se we cant just sit back in coverage all day

i honestly CANT WAIT to see what gregg does with this defense on sunday....

I think you'll see both Cover-2 and Cover-3 looks to try and keep Brady off-balance.

In Cover-3, Landry can be used as a blitzer in addition to the linebackers. But I wouldn't expect much of that look except when in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and the receivers don't have as much room to run behind the coverage.

In watching films on TV of the Patriots pass protection, I've noticed that the blockers tend to fan out and direct pass rushers towards the edges, leaving Brady lots of room to step up into the pocket.

That tendency leaves a little opportunity to attack in a couple of ways:

1) The Pats handled every stunt where the DE rushed down inside and the tackle looped around to the outside. The OT easily redirected a slower DT to the outside, in those instances.

I'd try an run some stunts the opposite way, with the DT rushing to the outside underneath and have the DE loop around to the inside. This way, you are getting in Brady's face, hopefully, and it might create some mismatches with the slower guards and a center trying to block athletic pass rushers like Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, or Chris Wilson.

2) In the Red Zone, the Skins could, on occasion, blitz Landry or Fletcher up the middle. It might leave them vulnerable to a short crossing pattern, however. To counter that, a nickel corner needs to get a jam on the slot receiver, and a linebacker needs to make sure the TE doesn't get a clean release.

I think, as a base set, you'll see pretty much what you saw against Detroit: a lot of Cover-2 and Cover-2 Man Under.

Don't give up the big play and make Brady throw underneath, and limit the yards after the catch. Brady is perfectly capable of marching the offense down the field like that, but that's a better alternative to giving up long touchdowns.

I think you'll see both Cover-2 and Cover-3 looks to try and keep Brady off-balance.

In Cover-3, Landry can be used as a blitzer in addition to the linebackers. But I wouldn't expect much of that look except when in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and the receivers don't have as much room to run behind the coverage.

In watching films on TV of the Patriots pass protection, I've noticed that the blockers tend to fan out and direct pass rushers towards the edges, leaving Brady lots of room to step up into the pocket.

That tendency leaves a little opportunity to attack in a couple of ways:

1) The Pats handled every stunt where the DE rushed down inside and the tackle looped around to the outside. The OT easily redirected a slower DT to the outside, in those instances.

I'd try an run some stunts the opposite way, with the DT rushing to the outside underneath and have the DE loop around to the inside. This way, you are getting in Brady's face, hopefully, and it might create some mismatches with the slower guards and a center trying to block athletic pass rushers like Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, or Chris Wilson.

2) In the Red Zone, the Skins could, on occasion, blitz Landry or Fletcher up the middle. It might leave them vulnerable to a short crossing pattern, however. To counter that, a nickel corner needs to get a jam on the slot receiver, and a linebacker needs to make sure the TE doesn't get a clean release.

I think, as a base set, you'll see pretty much what you saw against Detroit: a lot of Cover-2 and Cover-2 Man Under.

Don't give up the big play and make Brady throw underneath, and limit the yards after the catch. Brady is perfectly capable of marching the offense down the field like that, but that's a better alternative to giving up long touchdowns.

The probelm is if NE is having sucess running the ball like the Lions did (espcially early 2nd half) they will gladly take it. Their Oline is 100 fold better then Detroit so that exact game plan won't work agains NE. I think more of a GB type gameplan where we didnt split the d-tackles as much as we did against Detrioit. I think that would me more appropriate in this week as NE will take what we are giving them (they do not have a Mike Martz ego calling the plays).

Archived