Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I were Gregg Williams...

Master Blaster

I would watch the film from our game vs Detroit. Nobody has been able to stop New England yet, so there is no way to watch film and take notes on anyone elses schemes.

Take what you see that we did against Detroit, and watch the film from New England and do about the same thing.

The probelm is if NE is having sucess running the ball like the Lions did (espcially early 2nd half) they will gladly take it. Their Oline is 100 fold better then Detroit so that exact game plan won't work agains NE. I think more of a GB type gameplan where we didnt split the d-tackles as much as we did against Detrioit. I think that would me more appropriate in this week as NE will take what we are giving them (they do not have a Mike Martz ego calling the plays).

I think you'll see both Cover-2 and Cover-3 looks to try and keep Brady off-balance.

In Cover-3, Landry can be used as a blitzer in addition to the linebackers. But I wouldn't expect much of that look except when in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and the receivers don't have as much room to run behind the coverage.

In watching films on TV of the Patriots pass protection, I've noticed that the blockers tend to fan out and direct pass rushers towards the edges, leaving Brady lots of room to step up into the pocket.

That tendency leaves a little opportunity to attack in a couple of ways:

1) The Pats handled every stunt where the DE rushed down inside and the tackle looped around to the outside. The OT easily redirected a slower DT to the outside, in those instances.

I'd try an run some stunts the opposite way, with the DT rushing to the outside underneath and have the DE loop around to the inside. This way, you are getting in Brady's face, hopefully, and it might create some mismatches with the slower guards and a center trying to block athletic pass rushers like Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, or Chris Wilson.

2) In the Red Zone, the Skins could, on occasion, blitz Landry or Fletcher up the middle. It might leave them vulnerable to a short crossing pattern, however. To counter that, a nickel corner needs to get a jam on the slot receiver, and a linebacker needs to make sure the TE doesn't get a clean release.

I think, as a base set, you'll see pretty much what you saw against Detroit: a lot of Cover-2 and Cover-2 Man Under.

Don't give up the big play and make Brady throw underneath, and limit the yards after the catch. Brady is perfectly capable of marching the offense down the field like that, but that's a better alternative to giving up long touchdowns.

Nice post.

I've been to break down a little bit of film, so far this week and ive noticed most of the same things.

Personally, i feel if were going to bring pressure we have to try to bring it from up the middle (or try to bullrush there Tackles, which more than likley wont work with a smaller Carter, and Daniels isnt that type of DE). I think alot of stunting from the DL up the middle to force Brady to step out of the pocket is key. I know some have mentioned on this board that we need to pressure Brady i just dont think Gregg Williams will do so. If you look back at previous weeks we hardly ever blitz, and i certainly dont see that changing against the pats we need to do alot of stunting and our DT need to play the games of there careers.

I think you'll see both Cover-2 and Cover-3 looks to try and keep Brady off-balance.

In Cover-3, Landry can be used as a blitzer in addition to the linebackers. But I wouldn't expect much of that look except when in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and the receivers don't have as much room to run behind the coverage.

In watching films on TV of the Patriots pass protection, I've noticed that the blockers tend to fan out and direct pass rushers towards the edges, leaving Brady lots of room to step up into the pocket.

That tendency leaves a little opportunity to attack in a couple of ways:

1) The Pats handled every stunt where the DE rushed down inside and the tackle looped around to the outside. The OT easily redirected a slower DT to the outside, in those instances.

I'd try an run some stunts the opposite way, with the DT rushing to the outside underneath and have the DE loop around to the inside. This way, you are getting in Brady's face, hopefully, and it might create some mismatches with the slower guards and a center trying to block athletic pass rushers like Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, or Chris Wilson.

2) In the Red Zone, the Skins could, on occasion, blitz Landry or Fletcher up the middle. It might leave them vulnerable to a short crossing pattern, however. To counter that, a nickel corner needs to get a jam on the slot receiver, and a linebacker needs to make sure the TE doesn't get a clean release.

I think, as a base set, you'll see pretty much what you saw against Detroit: a lot of Cover-2 and Cover-2 Man Under.

Don't give up the big play and make Brady throw underneath, and limit the yards after the catch. Brady is perfectly capable of marching the offense down the field like that, but that's a better alternative to giving up long touchdowns.

Nice post.

I've been to break down a little bit of film, so far this week and ive noticed most of the same things.

Personally, i feel if were going to bring pressure we have to try to bring it from up the middle (or try to bullrush there Tackles, which more than likley wont work with a smaller Carter, and Daniels isnt that type of DE). I think alot of stunting from the DL up the middle to force Brady to step out of the pocket is key. I know some have mentioned on this board that we need to pressure Brady i just dont think Gregg Williams will do so. If you look back at previous weeks we hardly ever blitz, and i certainly dont see that changing against the pats we need to do alot of stunting and our DT need to play the games of there careers.

Nice post.

Daniels may not be that kind of DE, and Carte may be smallish, but they have been able to get pressure. With that said, it would be a good idea to send blitzing linebackers up the middle and force the RB or FB to block, or it would clog running lanes.

Nice post.

Daniels may not be that kind of DE, and Carte may be smallish, but they have been able to get pressure. With that said, it would be a good idea to send blitzing linebackers up the middle and force the RB or FB to block, or it would clog running lanes.

I like the cover 2 concept out of the nickel package, but I think we need to bring the house against Brady. Everyone can see how much time he has to throw the ball with his very good O-Line... Definitely have to bring the heat this weekend. If we lose but we go all out and put everything on the line I will be okay with that... No more conservative BS!

I like the cover 2 concept out of the nickel package, but I think we need to bring the house against Brady. Everyone can see how much time he has to throw the ball with his very good O-Line... Definitely have to bring the heat this weekend. If we lose but we go all out and put everything on the line I will be okay with that... No more conservative BS!

To keep it simple, I would rush 5 on a regular basis. Keep the nickel in there for 3 wr packages and the dime for 4 wr packages. Let MW rush the passer in the dime package and keep ST over the top to play centerfield. This could/should put a little pressure on brady and with our secondary keep ST away from man coverage (I think that is exactly what NE would want). :2cents:

To keep it simple, I would rush 5 on a regular basis. Keep the nickel in there for 3 wr packages and the dime for 4 wr packages. Let MW rush the passer in the dime package and keep ST over the top to play centerfield. This could/should put a little pressure on brady and with our secondary keep ST away from man coverage (I think that is exactly what NE would want). :2cents:

i think we have to go Cover 3 mostly, with Landry coming on on late blitzes. Key Word: LATE. Why? Because most of the Pats big plays come from Brady just sitting there in the pocket with absolutely noone around there waiting for his guys to get open deep. We gotta punish him the second he thinks he's getting comfortable with Landry just running full speed ahead at him.

Watching some of their plays, their Oline is doing a great job pass-protecting. No doubt about it. However, Brady sits back there for quite some time and the routes they seem to run for their big plays take quite some time to develop. Their Oline does leave some gaps because they double team a lot, so as long as our Dline moves them around enough and occupies them there's a perfect opportunity to come in and hit Brady hard. And I mean hard.

There are two concerns with this strategy. First, it has to be perfectly executed since it's timing based and Landry has to come from different angles. Hopefully, Landry is good enough to blitz from everywhere timing it correctly and on the quick passes staying back. He's got to know when to forget about it and when not to. Second, if we do this a lot, Landry leaving his intermediate/deep range all the time leaves a hole to exploit for Brady and Brady WILL exploit it. We got to mix it up a bit with Evans dropping back and Evans has got to play the best game he's ever played in coverage getting back there fast and deep.

i think we have to go Cover 3 mostly, with Landry coming on on late blitzes. Key Word: LATE. Why? Because most of the Pats big plays come from Brady just sitting there in the pocket with absolutely noone around there waiting for his guys to get open deep. We gotta punish him the second he thinks he's getting comfortable with Landry just running full speed ahead at him.

Watching some of their plays, their Oline is doing a great job pass-protecting. No doubt about it. However, Brady sits back there for quite some time and the routes they seem to run for their big plays take quite some time to develop. Their Oline does leave some gaps because they double team a lot, so as long as our Dline moves them around enough and occupies them there's a perfect opportunity to come in and hit Brady hard. And I mean hard.

There are two concerns with this strategy. First, it has to be perfectly executed since it's timing based and Landry has to come from different angles. Hopefully, Landry is good enough to blitz from everywhere timing it correctly and on the quick passes staying back. He's got to know when to forget about it and when not to. Second, if we do this a lot, Landry leaving his intermediate/deep range all the time leaves a hole to exploit for Brady and Brady WILL exploit it. We got to mix it up a bit with Evans dropping back and Evans has got to play the best game he's ever played in coverage getting back there fast and deep.

I agree with what GURU had to say. I say we play this way as long as we're in the game (within 14 pts). If we fall behind by more than that I would abandon all forms of standard defense and just go all out for Brady. Let's not let him run up the score on us - play man-on-man and bring both safeties in to blitz. He might connect on a few passes, but we sure as heck are gonna lay a few hits on him. I'd like to see if we can knock him out of the game if we can't hang with them.

I agree with what GURU had to say. I say we play this way as long as we're in the game (within 14 pts). If we fall behind by more than that I would abandon all forms of standard defense and just go all out for Brady. Let's not let him run up the score on us - play man-on-man and bring both safeties in to blitz. He might connect on a few passes, but we sure as heck are gonna lay a few hits on him. I'd like to see if we can knock him out of the game if we can't hang with them.

Archived