Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Saunders the problem?

earl

Again, the one constant in our now four year offensive struggle is Joe Gibbs. All the problems we have now we had BEFORE Saunders was hired.

That said, we have had some major injuries to our o-line that have no doubt scared Gibbs. I still think this offense could come together pretty nicely as the season progresses.

Again, the one constant in our now four year offensive struggle is Joe Gibbs. All the problems we have now we had BEFORE Saunders was hired.

That said, we have had some major injuries to our o-line that have no doubt scared Gibbs. I still think this offense could come together pretty nicely as the season progresses.

Look at the O-line Saunders had in KC.

The same doubts that are being cast on Larry Johnson right now could easily be said about Al.

I am certain that Al knows what he is doing, though, and wants to run a modern offense in Washington, but, the current o-line is less than HALF of what he had to work with in KC in that regard. We may not even see Saunders real offense until 2008 assuming the O-line is Samuels/Kendall/Rabach/Thomas/Wade or Jansen or Heyer.

To answer your question more directly: No, I don't think Saunders is the problem.

Look at the O-line Saunders had in KC.

The same doubts that are being cast on Larry Johnson right now could easily be said about Al.

I am certain that Al knows what he is doing, though, and wants to run a modern offense in Washington, but, the current o-line is less than HALF of what he had to work with in KC in that regard. We may not even see Saunders real offense until 2008 assuming the O-line is Samuels/Kendall/Rabach/Thomas/Wade or Jansen or Heyer.

To answer your question more directly: No, I don't think Saunders is the problem.

Two things before I pull my hair out at all the idiocy:

1) It is SAUNDERS who made it so that our running backs had huge holes last year (once the offense got its feet under them.) It's why Betts had over 1,000 yards. Like ANY offense, they DO need healthy and quality offensive linemen but it's clear what Saunders brought in the running game.

2) Though Saunders may have some flaws (which KC fans might be able to tell us about,) overall production is NOT ONE OF THEM. What you see here is a product of poor QB play (Brunell) or inexperience (Campbell) or injury (uh, nearly our entire O-line.) He was able to have offenses that featured no receivers of any great height or weight (outside of TE, of course) and they were always near the top.

The people critical of Saunders are, almost without exception, way too attached to 2005, when they mistakenly believe that somehow Gibbs had found his stride. He didn't. OUr offense stank when it counted most, partly due to injury (running Portis into the ground because the passing offense stank) but mostly due to Gibbs' choices in personnel or playcalling.

We were an Antonio Brown return TD away from blowing 2005 too. We won 5 games in a row over mostly very inferior opponents, some without their starting QB (Philly, StL, I can't remember if Arizona was one also.)

Yes, we killed Dallas but that was because the defense put the offense in GREAT positions and it was a rivalry game for which the team was pumped up.

Awesome post, Ghost. :cheers:

Two things before I pull my hair out at all the idiocy:

1) It is SAUNDERS who made it so that our running backs had huge holes last year (once the offense got its feet under them.) It's why Betts had over 1,000 yards. Like ANY offense, they DO need healthy and quality offensive linemen but it's clear what Saunders brought in the running game.

2) Though Saunders may have some flaws (which KC fans might be able to tell us about,) overall production is NOT ONE OF THEM. What you see here is a product of poor QB play (Brunell) or inexperience (Campbell) or injury (uh, nearly our entire O-line.) He was able to have offenses that featured no receivers of any great height or weight (outside of TE, of course) and they were always near the top.

The people critical of Saunders are, almost without exception, way too attached to 2005, when they mistakenly believe that somehow Gibbs had found his stride. He didn't. OUr offense stank when it counted most, partly due to injury (running Portis into the ground because the passing offense stank) but mostly due to Gibbs' choices in personnel or playcalling.

We were an Antonio Brown return TD away from blowing 2005 too. We won 5 games in a row over mostly very inferior opponents, some without their starting QB (Philly, StL, I can't remember if Arizona was one also.)

Yes, we killed Dallas but that was because the defense put the offense in GREAT positions and it was a rivalry game for which the team was pumped up.

Awesome post, Ghost. :cheers:

I don't think Saunders is the whole problem. I think Gibbs needs to let Saunders do his job by himself. If it weren't for Gibbs, I think the Arizona game would have been more far spread out. Changing the offensive philosophy because of the defensive play is just stupid. Keep the offense on the field as long as possible even if that means not pounding the ball on the ground. Fact is though, we are 4-2 and hopefully we can get a win out of our trip to NE.

I don't think Saunders is the whole problem. I think Gibbs needs to let Saunders do his job by himself. If it weren't for Gibbs, I think the Arizona game would have been more far spread out. Changing the offensive philosophy because of the defensive play is just stupid. Keep the offense on the field as long as possible even if that means not pounding the ball on the ground. Fact is though, we are 4-2 and hopefully we can get a win out of our trip to NE.

Guest RideorDieChic

talking about our coaches is a touch subject. I love and respect Coach Gibbs and his legacy; but aside from the multiple players injured, in terms of coaching Al Saunders playbook is not what ails us.

Guest RideorDieChic

talking about our coaches is a touch subject. I love and respect Coach Gibbs and his legacy; but aside from the multiple players injured, in terms of coaching Al Saunders playbook is not what ails us.

Hines Ward, ARE and (before the SB year) Plaxico Burress wanted to say hello. .

Wasn't one of the reasons Plax left was because he didn't like the offense(too run oriented)??

The Steelers only let Big Ben throw about 18-25 times a game and power rushed their way to the playoffs. It wasn't until the Denver game that Cowher allowed Whisenhunt to open the offense up.

Hell, look at the Chargers of the last few years: run run run..throw it to Gates and run some more.

To say a power running game doesn't work in this league anymore is flat out wrong.

Hines Ward, ARE and (before the SB year) Plaxico Burress wanted to say hello. .

Wasn't one of the reasons Plax left was because he didn't like the offense(too run oriented)??

The Steelers only let Big Ben throw about 18-25 times a game and power rushed their way to the playoffs. It wasn't until the Denver game that Cowher allowed Whisenhunt to open the offense up.

Hell, look at the Chargers of the last few years: run run run..throw it to Gates and run some more.

To say a power running game doesn't work in this league anymore is flat out wrong.

saunders isn't the problem, gibbs is the one who's overriding plays

I admit that I missed the memo that said Gibbs was over ridding the plays that Saunders was calling. I've been basing my Saunders bashing on the premise that Gibbs didn't touch the play calling anymore but if that's inaccurate then I want to retract my previous statements here. The playing recently has been HORRIBLE and I was blaming Saunders for it but if Gibbs is the reason for this then I want him gone. I'm tired of this broken expirence of Gibbs 2. Since he returned nothings gone right and we've wasted years of playing time for our players we can't get back. I want a new coach if Gibbs is too stupid to get out of the way then I hope Snyder removes him.

saunders isn't the problem, gibbs is the one who's overriding plays

I admit that I missed the memo that said Gibbs was over ridding the plays that Saunders was calling. I've been basing my Saunders bashing on the premise that Gibbs didn't touch the play calling anymore but if that's inaccurate then I want to retract my previous statements here. The playing recently has been HORRIBLE and I was blaming Saunders for it but if Gibbs is the reason for this then I want him gone. I'm tired of this broken expirence of Gibbs 2. Since he returned nothings gone right and we've wasted years of playing time for our players we can't get back. I want a new coach if Gibbs is too stupid to get out of the way then I hope Snyder removes him.

You're attacking the wrong coach. Blame Gibbs because he is the one not letting Saunders do his job. What's obvious to me is that Gibbs likes to run the ball first, whereas Saunders like to throw the ball. Back in the air coryell days, Gibbs too liked passing the ball more than running it. But when he became a head coach, his philosophy changed. He started relying on running the ball more and more. IMHO, Saunders is closer to Coryell in terms of offensive philosophy than Gibbs will ever be.

Gibbs is the reason why our offense sucks. Since Gibbs became our head coach, our offense has just stunk. His offensive philosophy is outdated, period. Football has passed him by. He isn't that good anymore.

I'm gonna say this. If Gibbs retires, and Gregg Williams becomes our coach and Saunders is our offensive coordinator, we'll win multiple superbowls.

You're attacking the wrong coach. Blame Gibbs because he is the one not letting Saunders do his job. What's obvious to me is that Gibbs likes to run the ball first, whereas Saunders like to throw the ball. Back in the air coryell days, Gibbs too liked passing the ball more than running it. But when he became a head coach, his philosophy changed. He started relying on running the ball more and more. IMHO, Saunders is closer to Coryell in terms of offensive philosophy than Gibbs will ever be.

Gibbs is the reason why our offense sucks. Since Gibbs became our head coach, our offense has just stunk. His offensive philosophy is outdated, period. Football has passed him by. He isn't that good anymore.

I'm gonna say this. If Gibbs retires, and Gregg Williams becomes our coach and Saunders is our offensive coordinator, we'll win multiple superbowls.

Archived