Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Saunders the problem?

earl

I recall the chiefs running sweeps and screens to Priest Holmes behind the best line in football, not attacking deep. I recall Tony Gonzales catching the ball exactly how cooley is but Tony is a more explosive athlete that would hit the home run more regularly. as for the rams, as mentioned above, if you ask 10 football pundits who is responsible for "the greatest show on turf" i would bet all 10 would say Mike Martz.

I also recall the "fun bunch" and "the posse". I wonder if they felt held back by joe's "conservative" play calling?

Truth be told I think everyone on this board, myself included, is a little right about somethings, but mostly wrong about everything.

Just saying have some faith in Joe Gibbs. He will right the ship, and if there is one thing i'm certain of is Joe wants to win, and he will not let his ego stand in the way of winning. In Joe I trust!

in KC they spread the ball around a ton. kennison was involved a great deal, gonzalez was used all the time. both of them always had around 1000 yards each, and the rest the ball was spread around to multiple receivers/backs. we run 1 WR sets all day long with max protect. the only games ive seen good gameplans were detroit and green bay.

if you pulled KC footage from that time i bet youd see a ton of wide open offenses and multiple targets for green to throw to, not max protect one wide sets with priest holmes running up the middle every down.

I recall the chiefs running sweeps and screens to Priest Holmes behind the best line in football, not attacking deep. I recall Tony Gonzales catching the ball exactly how cooley is but Tony is a more explosive athlete that would hit the home run more regularly. as for the rams, as mentioned above, if you ask 10 football pundits who is responsible for "the greatest show on turf" i would bet all 10 would say Mike Martz.

I also recall the "fun bunch" and "the posse". I wonder if they felt held back by joe's "conservative" play calling?

Truth be told I think everyone on this board, myself included, is a little right about somethings, but mostly wrong about everything.

Just saying have some faith in Joe Gibbs. He will right the ship, and if there is one thing i'm certain of is Joe wants to win, and he will not let his ego stand in the way of winning. In Joe I trust!

in KC they spread the ball around a ton. kennison was involved a great deal, gonzalez was used all the time. both of them always had around 1000 yards each, and the rest the ball was spread around to multiple receivers/backs. we run 1 WR sets all day long with max protect. the only games ive seen good gameplans were detroit and green bay.

if you pulled KC footage from that time i bet youd see a ton of wide open offenses and multiple targets for green to throw to, not max protect one wide sets with priest holmes running up the middle every down.

Our banged up offensive line has actually did a great job pass blocking last week, so there's no excuse for not calling more deep shots.

Gibbs had a four or five game stretch in 2005 when the offense looked good. Then the league adjusted and everything went into the crapper. We had maybe one solid offensive performance for every three pathetic ones.

Our banged up offensive line has actually did a great job pass blocking last week, so there's no excuse for not calling more deep shots.

Gibbs had a four or five game stretch in 2005 when the offense looked good. Then the league adjusted and everything went into the crapper. We had maybe one solid offensive performance for every three pathetic ones.

It's well documented that Saunders runs the offense and that Gibbs has the veto on any and all plays. So if you're going to point the finger at one, you need to point the finger at the other.

Saying that, neither are out there dropping passes, not running clean routes and not blocking their man.

This year so far has demonstrated that

1. We need better O-lineman and depth.

2. We need a true #1 WR.

3. Without #1 and #2, the best scheme isnt worth crap.

It's well documented that Saunders runs the offense and that Gibbs has the veto on any and all plays. So if you're going to point the finger at one, you need to point the finger at the other.

Saying that, neither are out there dropping passes, not running clean routes and not blocking their man.

This year so far has demonstrated that

1. We need better O-lineman and depth.

2. We need a true #1 WR.

3. Without #1 and #2, the best scheme isnt worth crap.

Fixed.

for a second i thought i actually typed that.

but anyways, our oline is banged up, but were not taking shots because gibbs is scared of turning the ball over. he doesnt want jason making any mistakes so he keeps the game short and safe.

and our guys up front arent getting blown up all day like some claim. campbell got sacked once on sunday, and the only guy really botching blocks was pucillo. and still all we did was run the ball. ugh.

Fixed.

for a second i thought i actually typed that.

but anyways, our oline is banged up, but were not taking shots because gibbs is scared of turning the ball over. he doesnt want jason making any mistakes so he keeps the game short and safe.

and our guys up front arent getting blown up all day like some claim. campbell got sacked once on sunday, and the only guy really botching blocks was pucillo. and still all we did was run the ball. ugh.

agreed, our oline is ok in pass blocking, we just decided to continue running like weve got the hogs. again, campbell only got sacked once the whole game, it wasnt like he was running for his life. we just arent sending guys out into the middle of the field.

and the only deep shot we took last week was to james friggin thrash. ill repeat that. the only deep shot we took last week was to james friggin thrash.

agreed, our oline is ok in pass blocking, we just decided to continue running like weve got the hogs. again, campbell only got sacked once the whole game, it wasnt like he was running for his life. we just arent sending guys out into the middle of the field.

and the only deep shot we took last week was to james friggin thrash. ill repeat that. the only deep shot we took last week was to james friggin thrash.

Eddie Kennison had two straight 1,000 yard years in 2004 and 2005. In 2003 and 2004, Johnnie Morton put up 700+ receiving yards as a #2. This, all while Tony Gonzalez was putting up 900+ yards every year. Looks like a great passing attack to me.

Already pointed that out plus lets not forget about the greatest show on turf.

Saunders was there for the start of that passing O.

Eddie Kennison had two straight 1,000 yard years in 2004 and 2005. In 2003 and 2004, Johnnie Morton put up 700+ receiving yards as a #2. This, all while Tony Gonzalez was putting up 900+ yards every year. Looks like a great passing attack to me.

Already pointed that out plus lets not forget about the greatest show on turf.

Saunders was there for the start of that passing O.

It's complicated. Al Saunders isn't exactly a "problem", he's a really smart Offensive Coach who up until he came here pretty much had the #1 offense in the NFL every year.

However, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he had been calling plays until he got here as well. Is it a coincidence that when he started calling plays, his offense was no longer #1?

Maybe he just isn't a good playcaller.

It's complicated. Al Saunders isn't exactly a "problem", he's a really smart Offensive Coach who up until he came here pretty much had the #1 offense in the NFL every year.

However, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he had been calling plays until he got here as well. Is it a coincidence that when he started calling plays, his offense was no longer #1?

When Saunders came here he talked about running the type of offense that would be aggressive and dictate to the defense. It seems that the defenses we are facing are dictating the type of offense we run. That seems more like a Gibbs type of conservative philosophy. Al maybe calling the plays but I think during the week Gibbs decides what type of game plan we will have. I believe we should do what we do best against any defense and let them adjust to stopping us, not run our offense based on what defense we are facing.

When Saunders came here he talked about running the type of offense that would be aggressive and dictate to the defense. It seems that the defenses we are facing are dictating the type of offense we run. That seems more like a Gibbs type of conservative philosophy. Al maybe calling the plays but I think during the week Gibbs decides what type of game plan we will have. I believe we should do what we do best against any defense and let them adjust to stopping us, not run our offense based on what defense we are facing.

OC's call their own plays unless the coach does. I don't believe that Vermeil was calling the plays in KC.

OC's call their own plays unless the coach does. I don't believe that Vermeil was calling the plays in KC.

Al Saunders offenses have put up mind-boggling numbers where-ever he has coached. His KC offenses not only put up great pass numbers but they always had a top 10 rushing attack as well (Priest Holmes held the rushing TD record for a season). His offense works when he is allowed to do his own thing. IMO Gibbs has too much say on how the offense will run. All does make all the calls during a game but Gibbs has too much influence on the game plan during the week. '

He is telling Al to call a game from a select few plays Gibbs was involved in developing during the week. To me that does not sound too productive. Let the man do his job from calling the plays to establishing the game plan from Monday to Wednesday.

Al Saunders offenses have put up mind-boggling numbers where-ever he has coached. His KC offenses not only put up great pass numbers but they always had a top 10 rushing attack as well (Priest Holmes held the rushing TD record for a season). His offense works when he is allowed to do his own thing. IMO Gibbs has too much say on how the offense will run. All does make all the calls during a game but Gibbs has too much influence on the game plan during the week. '

He is telling Al to call a game from a select few plays Gibbs was involved in developing during the week. To me that does not sound too productive. Let the man do his job from calling the plays to establishing the game plan from Monday to Wednesday.

Al took some criticism for scoring too quickly and leaving his defense worn out in KC... so I'd say its a safe bet that he was calling the plays there.

Archived