Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patriots Defense Weakening? SKINS CAN WIN! (Positive NEW Info...)

Ellis

So I decided to do some research today on the patriots defense instead of reading posts by all you boo-hoo-ers. :laugh: I also did the research predominately b/c on their msg board, their fans seem to be more and more worried about the Patriots defense falling apart, although this feeling is 50/50. I'll take the half empty glass, thank you.

Here are the scores of the 2007 Patriots games so far...

38-14 @ Jets

38-14 Chargers

38-7 Bills

34-13 @Bengals

34-17 Browns

48-27 @ Cowboys

49-28 @ Dolphins

The Patriots defense have been allowing more points each week AND... have been accused of running up the score. I don't buy it. They're not running up the score in a vicious, vindictive, "F the media and naysayers" kind of way. I believe the running up of the score is an admission that the defense is becoming compromised by injuries. Maybe they HAVE to run up the score due to their ailing defensive injuries. I think they know the defense is running a fine line of losing them a game soon due to injuries and they're scoring higher offensively to offset anything the defense is giving up. With that said, the injuries are a bigger problem than some are aware and the media certainly hasn't caught wind of it yet. The media is painting them as either "punks for running up the score" ...OR... "the most dominate offense EVER". I don't buy into either one of those media spins. I believe that it's safe to say that the Patriots offense is carrying the team much like the Redskins defense is carrying the team. (I know that's not a fair analogy since both teams are completely different but I'm running with it anyway).

I looked up the injuries on the Patriots Defense... Adalius Thomas LB (ankle) 1st stringer, Eric Alexander LB (knee) 2nd stringer, Mel Mitchell S (groin) 3rd stringer, Randall Gay CB (thigh) 2nd stringer, Mike Wright DE (knee) 2nd stringer... LT Wesley Britt did not play against the Cowboys (or maybe it was the Browns).

Check this page out from the Patriots website... it shows the field positions of the injuries...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/depthchart?team=NE

I was so happy to see that there is an area of the field that is becoming compromised.

And that sweet little patch of turf has Chris Cooley's name written all over it. :)

Here's some more info I found on the Patriots Defense.... Two weeks in a row, the Patriots are less than solid in Run Defense-- and what is a top area of concern for the coaching staff -- as the Dolphins total 179 yards on 30 carries, a 6-yard average. For the second week in a row, overall tackling was poor.

The Dolphins, people. The Dolphins ran those rushing yards on them. Are the Dolphins that good at rushing the ball? Or is there a weakness in the Patriots that is becoming more and more comprised in each passing week? Is the Cowboys running game better than the Dolphins? I think it can be argued and if the cowboys could be more efficient at running, who knows what would have happened in the game vs the patriots.

My question on the Skins offense is... can the Skins capitalize on these things I've listed and run the ball hard, knowing that there are holes to the Patriots defense? Can the Redskins offense muster enough against the weakening defense to compliment anything the Redskins defense can do to shut down Brady?

Can we capitalize on that weak defensive area with passing to Cooley or Randel El?

I say hell yeah. :helmet:

Can we capitalize on that weak defensive area with rushing Sellers?

I say heeelllllllllllllllllll yeah. :helmet:

Say what you want about the 2007 Skins vs the Cardinals or Giants or Green Bay.

ALL OF THOSE TEAMS WERE GOOD.

I can feel a win this sunday vs the Patriots.

I can feel a Gibbs pep-talk like the one before the Lions game.

I can feel this team rallying and we all know the coaches are aware of everything I posting on this thread already.

SIDE NOTE 1: No one talks about it, but Tom Brady has been playing with an injured right shoulder for quite awhile now. It doesn't seem to bother him. But if Andre Carter can get to him and sack him a few times... well, let's just say that vicious passing game might get shut down. I'm not implying that we injure him. I'm saying if he gets sore enough from being thrown to the ground, he won't go for those giant bomb passes he's known for with Moss and Welker. Thus... the high scoring Patriots CAN and MUST and WILL be stopped.

SIDE NOTE 2: In his career as a head coach, Bill Belichick has beaten every team except the Redskins.:cool:

lol , so they get injuries and win 48-27 on the road instead of 38-14

we get injuries and win 21-19 at home against a one armed QB and it took a RETARDed 2 point conversion call to help us win AND a miss of a 55 yard FG AFTER we went retarded and didn't recover an EASy onside kick ..... big difference , when we had our regular online with only the loss of jansen then I would think we would have a chance but we dont and we have a banged up RB , weak WRs and no rhythm on offense , we will be in the game at first because of our D but they will be on the field TOO long and fail at the end ~ ... hope I'm wrong but 4-3 isn't bad ~ !!

yes they are giving up more points.

yes they are playing softer d when they are up by 35 in the 4th quarter.

yes they do have some injuries.

yes they are an amazing team.

no...they are not really getting weaker.

Agreed. Keep in mind that the Fins scored on a pick six from The Pats back up QB before Brady was inserted back in the game. Even my Cowboys got a score from a fumble return. The Pats put up 35 on the Fins in the first half and I don't believe they were ahead by less than 21 once they built a lead.

I actually think the skins can hang with the Pats offense a little. The problem is I don't believe your offense can put up the points to threaten the Pats or sustain enough offense to rest your D. The Pats have a good D. Don't be fooled.

SIDE NOTE 1: No one talks about it, but Tom Brady has been playing with an injured right shoulder for quite awhile now. It doesn't seem to bother him. But if Andre Carter can get to him and sack him a few times... well, let's just say that vicious passing game might get shut down. I'm not implying that we injure him. I'm saying if he gets sore enough from being thrown to the ground, he won't go for those giant bomb passes he's known for with Moss and Welker. Thus... the high scoring Patriots CAN and MUST and WILL be stopped.

SIDE NOTE 2: In his career as a head coach, Bill Belichick has beaten every team except the Redskins.:cool:

Great positive post and is exactly what the skins need to keep hope alive for playing this game. I live in Boston and if you listen to some of the talk radio heads they act like the Pats are 3-4. They agree w/ you that the weakness is the defense but they also seem to think that the Pats have only played one decent defense and that was the Browns which shadows alot of their defensive weaknesess allowing the offense to lead the team (i.e. letting Moss behind you as a DB is just idocy).

I doubt very highly that Matt Light will allow Carter to get any GOOD licks on Brady. Also, Brady is a tough guy. If he can play, he will play. He will continue to take shots down the field regardless of his limitations.

If you have to choose one negative on Brady, and its really splitting hairs, is his ability to run the 2-minute drill. He will throw an INT or try to squeeze a pass to a TE where it shouldn't be thrown; just like most QBs. I look/hope for GW to lighten up on the cover 2 and play a little more cover 3 or man-to-man w/ a little help over top w/ Moss.

The Bellichick stat of not beating the skins means absolutely nothing!

darrell1106,

Well holy crap, you get my post! That makes you 1 of 60,000 on this site.:laugh: Yes, this thread is about seeing the positives. Isn't that what fans do in times of desperation? Despite the odds, you have to find a way to win, no matter who you're playing. You have to! it's what separates the good teams from the bad teams.

My thread has a point and all you naysayers can go pout in the "I'm a Moron Thread" instead of here.

I can see a path for the Redskins to win this game and it's a path they'll most likely embark on. I can see all the ways in which the Skins can get the win. And sure... there are just as many ways that they can lose. It all depends on how you wanna go into this game.

But THEY (the skins team) have to stay positive and fight it out and try their hardest to capitalize on what is there. I know they can. I know they have the talent to do so and they have to duke it out.

We're winning this game if we can execute a well orchestrated attack on defense and offense.:helmet:

I'm glad none of you naysayers are on the team. Damn, you guys admitted defeat before you even played the game. Nice.

The Bellichick stat of not beating the skins means absolutely nothing!

I know but it was funny.:laugh: Just trying to lighten the mood in here. Apparently, people like to wallow in misery around here.

I know the prospects for the upcoming game aren't good, and will take take almost a perfect game from every Redskin who steps on the field, but I am not going to pump myself up by trying to convince myself the Pats are weak in some area or are overrated in some way. They are the real deal, and the Skins are just going to have to prep well, devise an incredible game plan and then execute it flawlessly.

People, gotta appreciate this thread, we need any doses of optimism we can get.

that's what I'm sayin'!!!

do people on this board think our coaches are just gonna say "well... we're screwed... let's not show up for this game." NO!

They're looking for holes. They're looking for angles. They're looking for ways to capitalize on anything they can. And they're gonna find a way to win. Sure, the patriots are incredible. And I never said the patriots d was "weak". I do however feel that there is a possibility that it is "weakening". There's a huge difference between weak and weakening.

they are allowing points because they win their games by 2nd qtr.

well, that's good for us. We usually give our games away in the 4th.:laugh:

all kidding aside... I don't think the Patriots are unbeatable. I think our defense can hold them to roughly 25 points. It's the Redskins offense I worry about. They have to score in the 20-30 point range. I'm simply listing a way in which it's possible to do so. Apparently, a few fans on here are incapable of seeing the ways in which that is possible.

I'm not admitting defeat to the patriots until the final score says so.

We're the underdogs in this game for sure.

Hell, we're the underpuppies. I'll say it.

I still think we can beat them.

I have faith in this Skins defense.

I have faith that the Skins offense can find it in them to work their asses off.

Agreed. Keep in mind that the Fins scored on a pick six from The Pats back up QB before Brady was inserted back in the game. Even my Cowboys got a score from a fumble return. The Pats put up 35 on the Fins in the first half and I don't believe they were ahead by less than 21 once they built a lead.

I actually think the skins can hang with the Pats offense a little. The problem is I don't believe your offense can put up the points to threaten the Pats or sustain enough offense to rest your D. The Pats have a good D. Don't be fooled.

They put up 42 points in the first half:(

absolutly any given sunday ...

Watching the cowboys against the Pats was interesting becasue they didn't play badly on offence and even took the lead on that turnover but then bam they were out of it .

The skins back 7 give us a chance ... slim but a chance ...if we had the line and the run game going like last year the Skins would rack up very favorably but the way things are they look bleak ...but thanks for the positive thread... fist of the day by my count...:)

I agree on all accounts hard to believe I am agreeing with a Cowboys fan:laugh: . I do not believe it's about points here though it's all about limiting their chances on offense. If the Skins can get any type of running game going that will go a long ways in helping out the defense. Keep them chains moving you have to keep them off the field. That is the only real shot I can see they have.

do people on this board think our coaches are just gonna say "well... we're screwed... let's not show up for this game." NO!

haha thats what im saying we do. psh forget going to NE, lets stay, treat it as another bye week. get some rest, work with the o-line, take a vacation

hahaha im jk

good post though, you broke it down well. i hope your right, i hope cooley can expose their weakness

HTTR!

Archived