Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So you think our coaching is a problem?

robotfire

I don't get it. People seem upset at 4-2 because "with the talent we have, we should be 6-0." For the longest time, our problem was "we need a GM." How did we go from having horrible talent evaluators (and thus blaming Gibbs for it all) to having the best players in the league and still figuring out a way to be mad at Joe Gibbs? Lots of teams would kill to have our "awful" coaching staff. You can't separate the coach from the record. If we're 4-2, it's because of what coach Gibbs has done. Please explain yourselves.

I don't get it. People seem upset at 4-2 because "with the talent we have, we should be 6-0." For the longest time, our problem was "we need a GM." How did we go from having horrible talent evaluators (and thus blaming Gibbs for it all) to having the best players in the league and still figuring out a way to be mad at Joe Gibbs? Lots of teams would kill to have our "awful" coaching staff. You can't separate the coach from the record. If we're 4-2, it's because of what coach Gibbs has done. Please explain yourselves.

Because some people just have to ***** no matter what.

we are 4-2 because of our defense/defensive coaching. Our offense is terrible right now. I'm not sure who to blame though... gibss, saunders. Or maybe our guys just aren't getting open. I'm not sure. Anyone who was at the game today...did we have guys open downfield?? Our run game sucks, but with 3 starters out on the line i understand that. we need to throw the ball down field more.

I agree. The conservative play calling is hard to watch. But with this O line can you really blame them for not passing the ball thirty times? Gibbs is doing the best he can with what we have. The defense looks good although we cant have them on the field the entire second half like we did today.

i find it absurd that we can't get much done in the 2nd half offensively; we can't milk the clock from the start of 2nd half, we need to put up points and not be in close games...the reason the 2nd half woes go to the coaches is b/c this is still going on, it hasn't been corrected...we scored 43 points in the 2nd half this season, 20 came against Lions (our only complete game of the season) so that means we scored 23 in 5 games with 2 shut outs in the 2nd half, that's now how you win games...you need to perform better in the 2nd half if you want to win games

Guest sith lord

It's even more frustrating if you have the NFL Ticket and see other offenses move the ball. From what I see every week, we have one of the worse offenses in the league. We rarely get space when we try a run and rarely complete passes over 15 yds.

We have talent, but the coaches don't know what to do with it. How many times did they throw to Cooley in this game? once. Did they play McCardell, who has been very productive in the limited minutes that he's been in the game? Nope. I believe the offensive game plan was mostly 1st-down Portis stuffed, 2nd-down Portis stuffed, 3rd-down 3-yard pass to Sellers/Portis, 4th-down punt. :wave: Great game plan coach!!!

Oh yeah! Did I forget they punted with the ball on the Cardinals 38-yard line and it was 4th and 2? No field goal attempt nor a 1st down attempt! They punted with a net of 25 yards. WoooooPeeeeee

If you want to go through life blind and clueless, that's your problem. This team doesn't make adjustments and they have absolutely no balls in the 2nd half. It was downright cowardly. It's nice the Skins are 4-2, but if they don't fix some of their problems soon, things won't be so nice later in the season.

i think our coaching staff just needs to grow some balls.

the way we automatically go into a shell offensively is really embarrassing, especially since we have a lead.

very big problem and winning this game will mask it

that is my fear. winning the game is the ultimate objective, but we need to see drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

I seriously think that if our O-Line is ever completely healthy again, the offense will be flowing much more efficiently. Obviously, Campbell will get more time and the running game will improve, which would help keep the defense off the field longer. I think this is the biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball, with the receivers being secondary.

However, the over-conservatism of whoever is calling the plays is a problem. In this game, the injuries to the offensive line may have had something to do with it, because I think the play callers would have figured out by now that playing not to lose isn't going to work all the time.

we are 4-2 because of our defense/defensive coaching. Our offense is terrible right now. I'm not sure who to blame though... gibss, saunders. Or maybe our guys just aren't getting open. I'm not sure. Anyone who was at the game today...did we have guys open downfield?? Our run game sucks, but with 3 starters out on the line i understand that. we need to throw the ball down field more.

.. or MAYBE it is the fact that our starting O-line after just a mere 6 weeks of play are all in the "hospital?!"

Our "O" hasn't had the opportunity to gel because of an unlucky rash of injuries. If/When they return (this season), then we can expect them to be pretty good. I WOULD however, like to see a little more of an adventurous tack (on occasion anyway) on offensive playcalling! We are still playing not to lose. THAT will wind up losing us games that we SHOULD win!

that is my fear. winning the game is the ultimate objective, but we need to see drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

exactly. Eeeking a win out against a team we SHOULD have blown out of the stadium is embarassing, and if we play like this against better teams that don't commit that many penalties you can guarantee today would be chalked up as a big fat L.

The offensive playcalling is abysmal. The outright fear of moving the chains in the 2nd half of the game with a lead is outright shameful. Calling a draw on 3rd and long? Throwing the ball 5 yards on 3rd down when you need 10? Embarassing. We have the weapons....USE THEM!!!

It seemed to me our offense was doing pretty well until many of the offensive linemen went down. That's the biggest problem right now. Also I don't understand those who say bad things about Gibbs and praise Williams. Did they see how the defense played last year with all th injuries? And the defense was horrible in the second half today. And people whine that the playcalling is too conservative but last week people were whining because of the call of the reverse that Moss fumbled on. Also I don't understand why people think our talent is really that great. People have been saying that for the past 10 years through every coach we've had. After awhile you have to think "maybe we're overrating some of these players"

They say we have a playbook hundreds of pages long, but I think I can narrow it down for everyone:

1st down - Run Gut

2nd down - Run Gut

3rd Down (and long) - pass to sideline.

4th down - Punt

Then hope like hell the defense turns it over.

The # 1 rule though is that we never ever ever throw deep down the middle. that would be a sin.

Gibbs is deathly afraid that if we beat someone by more than 3 points, we will hurt their feelings.

Contrast this with New England who is throwing 50 yard end zone bombs when they are ahead by 21. If Gibbs was aheade by 21, you could pretty much count on 3 gut runs followed by a punt every single possession - don't want to upset anyone.

They say we have a playbook hundreds of pages long, but I think I can narrow it down for everyone:

1st down - Run Gut

2nd down - Run Gut

3rd Down (and long) - pass to sideline.

4th down - Punt

Then hope like hell the defense turns it over.

The # 1 rule though is that we never ever ever throw deep down the middle. that would be a sin.

Gibbs is deathly afraid that if we beat someone by more than 3 points, we will hurt their feelings.

Not all run plays were the designed to be the same "run gut."

May be I am wrong, but I get the impression many fans think there are only 2 plays in the playbook: run or pass.

Contrast this with New England who is throwing 50 yard end zone bombs when they are ahead by 21. If Gibbs was aheade by 21, you could pretty much count on 3 gut runs followed by a punt every single possession - don't want to upset anyone.

Yup, and to prove you can't get away with that in today's game look no further than the Titans/Texans game. If that were Gibbs he would have called it a day when they were up 22-7 at the half, and where would that have left them when the Texans dropped 29 in the 4th quarter? A 14 point lead isn't going to get you very far in today's NFL.

It seemed to me our offense was doing pretty well until many of the offensive linemen went down. That's the biggest problem right now. Also I don't understand those who say bad things about Gibbs and praise Williams. Did they see how the defense played last year with all th injuries? And the defense was horrible in the second half today. And people whine that the playcalling is too conservative but last week people were whining because of the call of the reverse that Moss fumbled on. Also I don't understand why people think our talent is really that great. People have been saying that for the past 10 years through every coach we've had. After awhile you have to think "maybe we're overrating some of these players"

Is Rabach the entire key to our offense doing well? Because he was the only difference in the line between the game today and the game vs Detroit. Don't get me wrong, I love Rabach and think he is an important part of our line. However, is not having him the reason they went super conservative today as opposed to opening it up and taking it to the Lions? That seems rather unlikely.

While it is true that Miami fans would kill to have a 4-2 record, I am upset with Saunders and Gibbs conservative and "play not to lose" play calling in the second half of games. I love Gibbs....he's a living legend. I wonder if he realizes that 7 and 14 point leads are not safe leads. Bill Bellichick won't sit on a lead until a 28 point spread has been achieved. Today's game reminded me of when Marty Shottenheimer used to coach. YES, I think the Redskins have a coaching issue right now....and I also think that they are holding Jason Campbell back with the predictable short passing game. Gibbs had better realize that he doesn't have a dominating O-line that can "run out the clock' as well. Next week the Skins play a team up north that will not let them off the hook the way the Cards did today, and if Gibbs thinks a 14 point lead is safe against New England, this team is in deeper trouble than all of us imagine. NOTE- The Skins D is still solid, but asking them to play the ENTIRE SECOND HALF of games is a disgrace.

Archived