Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So you think our coaching is a problem?

robotfire

It's even more frustrating if you have the NFL Ticket and see other offenses move the ball. From what I see every week, we have one of the worse offenses in the league. We rarely get space when we try a run and rarely complete passes over 15 yds.
Lets see; Minny, 49'ers, rams, and atlanta have worst offenses than us.

Ravens, oakland, KC, and others have worst. Calm down and stop acting like we are the worst offensive team in the league. I counted 7 off the top of my head that are way worse than us.

Lets see; Minny, 49'ers, rams, and atlanta have worst offenses than us.

Ravens, oakland, KC, and others have worst. Calm down and stop acting like we are the worst offensive team in the league. I counted 7 off the top of my head that are way worse than us.

That leaves 24 other teams better than us. Not a good point on your part buddy. :laugh:

Our strategy has been the same as always with Gibbs. When we build up a lead we play smash mouth and run out the clock. It's a recipe for success. We would come out in the 4th quarter, give the ball to our rbs, and dare them to stop our running game. And we would always get 1st downs by effectively running the ball.

Our problem is that with our O-Line decimated, we can no longer run the ball. So we can no longer easily hold a lead. Our runs now in the 4th quarter averages like 2-3 yards per carry. Thats why we can't finish our games and leads to our 3 and outs.

My worry is, I don't think our O-Line will be healthy all year. Even if Randy Thomas is back near the end, he'll still be fresh off injury and most likely will be rusty.

It was a recipe for success during Gibbs 1. The game has changed since then. The rules favor offenses that utilize the passing game so it is much easier for a team to come back from behind quickly. Defenses are more complex, they are faster, and they adjust much more quickly to offenses, especially when said offense tends to have a specific pattern of playcalling.

Also, look at the empirical evidence. We all know how many halftime leads the Skins have blown since Gibbs came back while trying to use that exact same philosophy in the modern NFL. And it isn't like we have had an injured O line for 3 1/2 seasons. Even when we WERE able to run the ball well we still lost some games when we tried to sit on a lead because teams can come back so fast now with rapid fire passing offenses.

I am sorry but I would have to say that the coaching isn't at fault on these last two games. I would say that it is the execution. The players are not executing. Balls are dropped, fumbles are happening, and the line is getting beat off the ball. That is not the coaches fault. You can teach and yell at a player all you want, but when it comes down to it, the players play the game, not the coaches.

I have never seen a team try and run out the clock after the first half except for the Redskins. As soon as this team gets a lead it's Portis left, Portis right, Someone else up the middle, then punt. One of these days The Skins are going to get a field goal in the first minute of the game and then try and run out the clock in the closing 59 minutes.

Joe Gibbs, I love ya, I'd like to see you President, but it's time to pass the torch to a young offensive coordinator who understands the practicality of sticking a stake in the heart of your opponent after you have a lead.

Pansey offensive football in the second half has to stop. The Hogs of old are gone, John Riggens has retired.

Unexplainable play calling sometimes. Lack of fortitude on 4th down. Ridiculous defensive scheme (we could easily be number one in the L). I understand the injuries. Cut this team loose and lets kick some butt. I guess old guys are ultra-conservative and it shows.

If we're 4-2, it's because of what coach Gibbs has done. Please explain yourselves.

The record is not he story. Other then the Detroit game we could very well be 6-0 or 1-5 right now. Even Gibbs has said this.

Right now the teams 4-2 because we've played bad teams that were one dimentional and we've played one pretty good team that made a boneheaded decision to use a WR as a QB when it mattered most and who's kicker shanked a winning field goal try. So were 4-2.

The real story about this game is our play calling is horrible. The coaches are missing some O-linemen so they can't do everything they want to do but they aren't adjusting to that. They still continue to run Portis almost every play even though he's showing no bursts and none of the explosiveness that he once had. We ignore other players that could be making plays like Cooley, Moss, and others to give the ball to Portis who isn't getting the job done right now. We continue to run to the right side of a desimated line. We still throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10 and wonder why our Defense gets tired after so many 3 and outs. We put on the opponants 38 yard line. We waste time outs or don't take our time outs when we should. We do so many stupid things out there that we don't look like professionals all the time.

The problem with the team isn't the players, its the bland play calling, lack of adjustments at halftime, lack of coaching imagination in the play calling, putting the game in Portis's hands every drive, ignoring other players completely, and a total lack of management. Gibbs is the TEAM PRESIDENT. He oversees everything. If Saunders can't call the right plays then its up to Gibbs to get that right. The players can't make plays unless they get a chance to make plays. This falls on the top and works its way down. Not all of these problems have to do with three injured linemen. When we had 1 injured lineman it was a problem. When we had 2 injured linemen we had this problem, and now with 3 its not solved.

I don't get it. People seem upset at 4-2 because "with the talent we have, we should be 6-0." For the longest time, our problem was "we need a GM." How did we go from having horrible talent evaluators (and thus blaming Gibbs for it all) to having the best players in the league and still figuring out a way to be mad at Joe Gibbs? Lots of teams would kill to have our "awful" coaching staff. You can't separate the coach from the record. If we're 4-2, it's because of what coach Gibbs has done. Please explain yourselves.

They would def take some of our position and coordinator coaches, I'm not sure anyone would want Gibbs at this point in his career.

My main problem with the coaching is what seems to be a mentality of we have a 2 touchdown lead lets just run 3 times and punt. Basically all of our pass plays today were hitches and screens. I just hope and pray the coaches don't think we can take that offensive game plan into NE and win. NE will completely destroy us next week if our offense can't produce some actual points.

Explanation...

3 minutes left in the game.

1rst down: Run to Portis (Great Call)

2nd down: Fade route to James Thrash...(Just Awful) Note: Campbell called hike with 15 seconds left on the game clock (WTF...he should be COACHED to watch the playclock in that situation, but for Joe's sake well put this on JC)

3rd down: Outside run, Portis goes out of bounds (was he forced out? who knows, he should not have been anywhere near the sideline though)

4th down: Punt...correct me if I am wrong but I don't think we ran a minute off the clock nor did Arizona burn any timeouts. PITAFUL!

Bottom line is, JG is conservative the ENTIRE game, and then when he should be conservative and run the ball the run the clock out, he goes for the fade to Thrash on second down? Maybe on third down, but second?

Arizona should have had less than 2 minutes at the end of the game, point blank, that wouldn't have been enough time for them to get a TD and get Rackers a decent field goal look.

When the games have been on the line Gibbs makes very questionable decisions, yeah, we are 4-2 but we should be 6-0 and we had a chance to win each game and when it comes down to crunch time the team is underprepared and the coaches not confident. JG always gets nervous and that shows in the way his team plays.

A side note: Mike Tomlin tonight is exactly what we need. 4th down, he calmly looks at his coaches and says go for it...he had PLANNED ahaead of time for that situation. Gibbs would have needed to call a timeout there and consult his coaches and players. We need Gibbs to grow some balls and get more aggressive. JG...grow some, take some shots (even if you have 5 lineman off the street) and get your head out of your rear...every game doesn't have to be close, but if that's how you like it you should be more prepared

Archived