Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Three most important things a Football player can have

desertfox59

Actually Fox, this is for the most part, incorrect. At least according to the research I've read over the years about it. Research, both past and present, indicates that weightlifting and building muscle does not negatively affect flexibility. There is the possibility that short range of motions,(especially during contraction of the muscle) can do so, but that is more than likely due to the way the exercise is being done.

If what you are saying is that improper lifting/building of muscle is what leads to the loss of flexibility I agree with you. That's part of it.

The fact is that if you don't stretch properly while you are in training, especially muscle building training, you will lose your flexibility, even while you gain strength. I agree that the better tequenique you have the less flexibility you will lose, but if you arn't streching as a compliment to lifting you will become less limber.

I guess I'd like to read your research, because it goes against what I've been taught (both professionally and threw personal experience).

If what you are saying is that improper lifting/building of muscle is what leads to the loss of flexibility I agree with you. That's part of it.

The fact is that if you don't stretch properly while you are in training, especially muscle building training, you will lose your flexibility, even while you gain strength. I agree that the better tequenique you have the less flexibility you will lose, but if you arn't streching as a compliment to lifting you will become less limber.

I guess I'd like to read your research, because it goes against what I've been taught (both professionally and threw personal experience).

Actually, no. That's not lifting improperly. Short range of motion lifting has been around for awhile and there's all kinds of back and forth about it actually working the muscles enough. Not improper by any means. And again, incorrect. Many of those same studies were done with those lifting doing so without stretching, (which makes sense if you think about it), and there was no loss of flexibility.

I'm the least flexible kid on my football team and qutie possibly my school and I have never been hurt playing a sport. The flexibility doesn't transfer over to my stength, im not that strong. However i'm the fastest person on the team, which doesn't make any sense with being the least flexible.

I had a similar experience at your age. I was fast, but not strong or flexible, yet I didn't suffer any leg injuries. However, when I entered my early twenties (and became heavier and stronger) I experienced a lot of hamstring injuries. Perhaps the lack of flexibility becomes a problem a little later for some athletes. I have no idea.

1. A contract with lots of guaranteed money, so you're rich even if you never produce again.

2. A side career in rap, so you have a profession when you never produce again.

3. Skills at Halo, so you have something to do when you're not playing in the NFL anymore.

Skills in Madden would be more awesome than halo skills. Halo sucks the big one, give me a mouse n keyboard any day of the week.

Ok to set the record straight...

There is no inverse relationship with strength and flexibility. There are also no studies that completely validate a decrease in injuries that can be attributed to an increase in flexibility. What has been found is that most injuries associated with muscle strains is due to a muscle imbalance. From what I have seen in my field of work is that most athletes, especially football players, there anterior chain (hipflexors, quads) of the lower body greatly overpowers their posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes.) This is for many reasons, one being the myth that free weight full ROM squats and deadlifts are "dangerous" and should not be done.

In regards to the way the Redskins do it, we are talking about the NFL here. I work at a large Div 1 School and when I visited Redskins park I was blown away. They have the facilities and the staff to help prevent and treat any injuries. If you want to speculate why there were so many groin injuries during the Green Bay game, watch how Kampman rushes. He takes you far to the outside with his great lateral movement, and then breaks back across your face clubbing you underneath your shoulder pad. This is going to put alot of stress on a man who weighs 285+. Lineman are used to short choppy steps laterally, that large step and club that Kampman forces on them could hurt any lineman in the league, not just the Skins.

Ok to set the record straight...

There is no inverse relationship with strength and flexibility. There are also no studies that completely validate a decrease in injuries that can be attributed to an increase in flexibility. What has been found is that most injuries associated with muscle strains is due to a muscle imbalance. From what I have seen in my field of work is that most athletes, especially football players, there anterior chain (hipflexors, quads) of the lower body greatly overpowers their posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes.) This is for many reasons, one being the myth that free weight full ROM squats and deadlifts are "dangerous" and should not be done.

In regards to the way the Redskins do it, we are talking about the NFL here. I work at a large Div 1 School and when I visited Redskins park I was blown away. They have the facilities and the staff to help prevent and treat any injuries. If you want to speculate why there were so many groin injuries during the Green Bay game, watch how Kampman rushes. He takes you far to the outside with his great lateral movement, and then breaks back across your face clubbing you underneath your shoulder pad. This is going to put alot of stress on a man who weighs 285+. Lineman are used to short choppy steps laterally, that large step and club that Kampman forces on them could hurt any lineman in the league, not just the Skins.

Some folks in thread may be interested in reading this as well.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217076

isn't it amazing how durable the 1980's Redskins were?

Dan Riley and the strength/conditioning program did a helluva job along with Beathard going out and finding the players.

Don Warren - 14 years

Monte Coleman - 15 years

Raleigh McKenzie - 14 years

Art Monk - 13 years

Darrell Green - 20 years

Joe Jacoby - 12 years

Charles Mann - 11 years

Mark May - 12 years (admittedly almost half with other teams)

Jeff Bostic - 12 years

Kurt Gouveia - 11 years (again, almost half with other teams)

Keenan McCardell - 15 years ( all but 1991 with other teams)

Even a guy like Ray Brown that we picked up in Plan B free agency from the Cardinals at age 26. He went on to play an ADDITIONAL 16 years in the NFL :)

Archived