Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Three most important things a Football player can have

desertfox59

The three most important things that a Football player can have are as follows:

• Quickness
  • Strength
  • Flexibility

The first thing (Quickness) is mostly a god given gift. Quickness can only be improved slightly as it is a neurological function of the body.

But the other two can be influenced greatly by behavior and must be done to limit injuries.

It is a physiological fact that the more flexible you are the less likely you are to get injured. That goes for children, old people, and especially football players.

Interestingly enough these two factors are somewhat at odds with each other. The stronger you are the less flexible you are because when muscle rebuilds itself, like say after a workout, the tissue reconnects closer together bonding more tightly. You must stretch that stronger tissue out so that the tendons and ligaments don’t become over powered and pull or rupture.

The hard part about Flexibility is that it is difficult to measure and often times not emphasized nearly as it should be. Where as strength is easily measured by weighs and repetitions, Flexibility is more subjective to the individual’s stretch-pain-threshold. (Though I would argue that weights and repetitions, as measures of strength, are only as good as lifting technique)

Given the abnormally large number of injuries we have sustained (especially on the O-line) I have to wonder if our players/coaches/trainers even know these physiological facts. I highly doubt that they don’t.

This begs the question: Why have they failed to be as flexible and thus durable as they should be?

If all things are equal, isn’t it better to have the slightly weaker yet more flexable/durable player?

:helmet:

3 Most Important Things:

1. Big toes: without them, how could they balance??????

2. Y Chromosome: Protects against ACL tears, among other reasons.

3. Awesomeness: If they're not awesome, they won't make it in the NFL.

In all seriousness though, I agree with your post that those are all must haves physically for a successful football player. But I don't think the Redskins staff is ill preparing them before games/practice, I just think we've run into some bad luck. Regardless, I think Gibbs and the training staff will make changes if they feel its needed.

Well I guess I lose. I was thinking............

1) The major contract

2) High end ride, pimped out

3) The Monster house

Seriously though, Buges even said that they must be doing something wrong with all the hammies and groins. They'll figure it out..........

The three most important things that a Football player can have are as follows:

• Quickness
  • Strength
  • Flexibility

A couple of thoughts on your interesting post:

Injuries have understandably been on the rise in the NFL as players have gotten bigger and faster and the collisions more violent.

Injuries like Jansen's are accidental. But, the injuries to Wade and Heyer might be explained by Aaron Kampman's bull rush -- more likely to happen.

The Redskins have brought in free agents and made trades for players with ability coupled with an injury history: Moss, Griffin, Springs, Archuleta, Salave'a, a couple of others. They appear to be willing to take the added risk of injuries.

Santana's hamstring history could be related to the same muscle type which makes his sprinter speed possible.

Injuries accumulate. For example, Jansen's persistent calf soreness which limited his mobility is plausibly related to the Achilles tear suffered earlier. So, a team that avoids the draft and builds a veteran roster is likely to have players losing more games to injuries.

Injuries accumulate. For example, Jansen's persistent calf soreness which limited his mobility is plausibly related to the Achilles tear suffered earlier. So, a team that avoids the draft and builds a veteran roster is likely to have players losing more games to injuries.

This is a key point that touches on the strategic decision making of NFL executives. I think that even a casual observer of NFL football understands that, in general, younger players suffer fewer injuries and recover from them faster than older players. However, more experienced players are generally more skilled and more savvy than younger players.

When we say that teams have a good balance of veterans and youth, are we saying that they have captured both the benefits of experience and the health of youth? Or is it simply a stategy for building and maintaining over time a core group of players?

But the propensity to accumulate injuries is not just greater or lesser based on age and wear. Some young players have suffered more injuries than other young players. How much of a factor is this in building a team?

For example, I thought that Adrian Petersen was the clearly the best player in last year's draft and there must have some NFL executives who agreed with that assessment. Yet, he was drafted 7th overall - no doubt because of a serious injury he suffered in college. So what do you do in a case like that, anyway? Is this a case where the team executives are concerned about the long term value of their investment or are they willing to pass on star potential simply because they might be risking their jobs if he were to be injured again in the short term?

The entire issue of teams developing strategies of selecting and training players to avoid injuries seems to me to be a key factor in determining the success or failure of an NFL franchise. I wonder how much scientific study has been done on a macro level of the propensity for injury to football players based on age, body type, conditioning methods, previous injuries, etc. and if any of that research is being employed by NFL executives in building their teams? Does anyone on this board have any insight into this topic?

But I don't think the Redskins staff is ill preparing them before games/practice, I just think we've run into some bad luck.

Bad luck, I don't think so. What does luck have to do with anything? Think about it. Something seems bad wrong here, like maybe the players have over taxed their physical limits in some sort of way. I would imagine that they haven't been asked to do too much on the practice field, but what about in the weightlifting department?

Bad luck? It just seems way too strange to me, that four offensive linemen were all plagued by uncharacteristic injuries, and all in the same week, and all on the same team. These are not typical injuries for linemen, as they would be for the more athletic types or skill position players. It's almost unheard of, that a lineman pulls a groin or hamstring, yet not just one, but four in the same game, that's just crazy weird. I can't even remember when we had one lineman leave the game because of a pulled groin or hamstring.

There's a reason this string of injuries has occurred, but it's not bad luck.

The entire issue of teams developing strategies of selecting and training players to avoid injuries seems to me to be a key factor in determining the success or failure of an NFL franchise. I wonder how much scientific study has been done on a macro level of the propensity for injury to football players based on age, body type, conditioning methods, previous injuries, etc. and if any of that research is being employed by NFL executives in building their teams? Does anyone on this board have any insight into this topic?

I can't offer much. There is an NFL study that I haven't seen, but I've read about the rising number of injuries and that DBs are the most vulnerable. The Patriots' DBs were the hardest hit over a four-year span.

I'm not aware of the kind of study you're asking about, but it certainly would make sense for a team to have a prevention program like that.

I can't offer much. There is an NFL study that I haven't seen, but I've read about the rising number of injuries and that DBs are the most vulnerable. The Patriots' DBs were the hardest hit over a four-year span.

I'm not aware of the kind of study you're asking about, but it certainly would make sense for a team to have a prevention program like that.

Where can I apply to be the first Injury Prevention Program Manager?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1. A contract with lots of guaranteed money, so you're rich even if you never produce again.

2. A side career in rap, so you have a profession when you never produce again.

3. Skills at Halo, so you have something to do when you're not playing in the NFL anymore.

Interestingly enough these two factors are somewhat at odds with each other. The stronger you are the less flexible you are because when muscle rebuilds itself, like say after a workout, the tissue reconnects closer together bonding more tightly. You must stretch that stronger tissue out so that the tendons and ligaments don’t become over powered and pull or rupture.

Actually Fox, this is for the most part, incorrect. At least according to the research I've read over the years about it. Research, both past and present, indicates that weightlifting and building muscle does not negatively affect flexibility. There is the possibility that short range of motions,(especially during contraction of the muscle) can do so, but that is more than likely due to the way the exercise is being done.

Archived