Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports.com: Kimmel banned from MNF

kuraitengai

I am 33 years old. And I cannot recall a time where there was not a debate about the sate of Monday Night Football. What is incredibly odd is that everyone refers to the Cossell/Meredith/Gifford days as the "Glory Years" while forgetting that 60 percent of America absolutely loated Cossell.

In other words' date=' there has never been a time when America was happy with Monday Night Football."[/quote']

Absolutely right. And to those of you who are upset that it's all about the entertainment--it was ALWAYS about the entertainment. Frank Gifford was probably the most gifted play-by-play guy of his era if for no other reason than that he was able to give you the down and distance amongst all the irrelevant BS that Cosell and Dandy were constantly laying out.

Fast forward a few years to Michaels/Madden. How many have criticized Madden for being a buffoon? A caricature of himself? Entertainment.

And if they had a broadcast team with no real "characters", well then it was just dull and not ENTERTAINING enough.

ABC/ESPN/Disney = all the same goal: Sell ad time, gain market share. To that end they'll let anyone in the booth they think will get people to watch.

The game was always second.:2cents:

I'm with you.

When I'm watching a game with my friends, we don't joke, we focus on the game...and we go through a ton of emotions.

The comedy is a friggin' distraction.

Really? I don't mind some lightheartedness in the broadcast, the occasional joke. They're games after all, not mortal combat.

Having said that, ESPN has tipped the scales too far away from the game and toward mindless booth banter.

I think if MNF would cut out the theatrics with the 3rd quarter guests we'd all be happier. I actually think this crew is pretty entertaining all on their own. When they stray off with these guests it really detracts from the game. I don't wanna hear about anything else besides the game and I don't care which celebrity they invite in. Maybe if they had guest analysis from ex players or something. Either way I think they'd do fine without any of that.

I actually used to like the Dierdorf, Gifford, Michaels combo. I thought they did a really good job.

Really? I don't mind some lightheartedness in the broadcast, the occasional joke. They're games after all, not mortal combat.

Having said that, ESPN has tipped the scales too far away from the game and toward mindless booth banter.

The problem many people have is not "some lightheartedness". It's the 15 minute standup routine or the basketball player interview that takes up the entire 3rd quarter of the game. When Tirico said during the Redskins-Eagles game in the middle of the Barkley interview: "oh, and by the way, there is a timeout on the field", I knew MNF had reached a new low.

The problem many people have is not "some lightheartedness". It's the 15 minute standup routine or the basketball player interview that takes up the entire 3rd quarter of the game. When Tirico said during the Redskins-Eagles game in the middle of the Barkley interview: "oh, and by the way, there is a timeout on the field", I knew MNF had reached a new low.

Agreed, as I said in the third sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the play-by-play guy and color guy have some light moments, but putting 'funny guys' into the booth is forcing the laughs... :2cents:

I've never liked ESPN--they always have, for lack of a better word, a sped-up "zany" quality to their news and replay broadcasts, like they don't really take it seriously, like they're watching and reacting to a circus event and trying to fit it all in for everyone.

It's like they don't take the games seriously and rob them of all the dramatic and poetic treatment of the old days.

Archived