Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Campbell...(POSTED!)

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Here ya go --

Campbell much better than his numbers show

By Jeremy Green

After watching Washington QB Jason Campbell over the past few weeks I wanted to go back into the film room and really break him down. What I saw after looking at tapes is that he is rapidly developing into one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL.

That statement is tough to back up statistically because Campbell has just 198 completions in 357 attempts (55 percent completion percentage) in his career. He's thrown 15 TD passes, 10 interceptions and posted a QB rating of 78.5 in less than a year as a full-time starter. This season, he has thrown five touchdowns to four interceptions, which are not exactly numbers that make you say "wow." But consider he plays in a run-first offense and head coach Joe Gibbs would like to run the ball 35 or more times per game. That does not lend itself to gaudy numbers from the QB position.

However, what does make you say "wow" is how quickly he has picked up the Washington offense. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders has one of the most extensive playbooks in the NFL and Campbell is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last season. I talked to an offensive coach in Washington who told me how Campbell was the first one in and the last one out of the building all offseason and it is starting to pay dividends on the field.

At 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, Campbell has excellent size for the position and while he looks like a big pocket passer, he has very good mobility and can make plays inside and outside the pocket. He is smooth in his movements and can throw on the move with very little wasted motion in his timing and release.

He has also developed a feel for pressure as well. In the Green Bay game on Sunday, there were numerous occasions where he had back side blitz pressure which he did not see it, but he felt and was able to step up and deliver a solid strike. Some young QBs do not have a feel for pressure and will step the wrong way, but not Campbell. Of all the pressures I saw on Campbell there was only one occasion where he stepped towards the pressure rather then up or away from it. That can be a hard aspect of the game for a young QB to learn.

Campbell also has an outstanding arm and can make all the throws in Saunders' offense. When I say all the throws, I mean that he can zip the out route, zip it into the deep curls, throw the comeback route with excellent accuracy and he even throws a beautiful deep ball. Those are all tough throws to make, but Campbell can make them all.

One area Campbell has really developed his game is his touch on passes. His touch and accuracy on the short to underneath routes is much better than it was last season. Statistically this is tough to see in the numbers, but he has been riddled with a ton of drops by his receivers. On Sunday, Campbell threw 16 incomplete passes, but six were drops by his receivers, another two that were questionable and one that went off his receiver's hands for an interception. On some of those throws, which were in the short to intermediate passing zones, Campbell did an excellent job of taking something off the ball or leading his receiver to allow him to make a play after the catch. He has learned to fit the ball between the LB and the safety, like he did in Week 6 on two throws to TE Chris Cooley. Plus, his deep ball accuracy is much better as seen by the throw he put right on the hands of WR Santana Moss that Moss dropped.

Campbell has always been a solid passer, but what was most impressive on tape was his development of understanding defenses. His field vision and awareness are leaps and bounds above where they were last season. Plus, he is much quicker with his progression, which helps the ball gets out of his hand on time.

Campbell does not get the accolades of some of the other young quarterbacks in the NFL because the numbers are not going to be there in a Gibbs-coached offense. However, when you break him down, he is every bit as solid as other QBs around the NFL with similar starting experience. Campbell is good enough to carry this team to the playoffs. Now he just needs the coaching staff to allow him to do it and a little help from the guys around him who need to start holding onto the football. Time will tell, but Campbell is quickly emerging into a solid starting QB in the NFL.

That being said...

I will now purchase a Campbell jersey...If Campbell is our qb for the next ten years...which he should be...fortunes will change in Washington, its that simple.

With ST leading the way on the defensive side of the ball...to go along with all the other young studs this team has...I cant help but get excited for this teams future...even with the two tough losses weve suffered this season.

thanks guys for bringing this up. pretty much right on the money. I like Om's article on him too. I think Om and Green are definitely on to something. Campbell will be very good, and I actually think he's already there. His receivers are killing him especially Moss. With that said, there's a lot of season left.

HTTR

This is really one of two bright spots on this team aside from the Defense.

Campbell has all of the tools to become a star immediately, but I have a feeling the coaching staff is going to put more of the burden on Campbell's shoulder much like Peyton Manning, dare I say.

I truly hope so! Jason is better than Manning, my opinion.

I would love to see Campbell in a spread offense like that used by Daniel at MO and Harrell at TexTech ... always in the Shotgun ... always looking to pass ... only occasssionally giving the ball off on the draw or just taking off with it ... but you need balls to do this and with Gibbs you will never see it.

I would love to see Campbell in a spread offense like that used by Daniel at MO and Harrell at TexTech ... always in the Shotgun ... always looking to pass ... only occasssionally giving the ball off on the draw or just taking off with it ... but you need balls to do this and with Gibbs you will never see it.

I have a feeling that you'll be seeing Campbell in the shotgun formation alot due to the uncertainty of the O-Line. Not that this worries me, but it certainly would take less of the pounding off of Jason and allow him to use his legs more.

I truly hope so! Jason is better than Manning' date=' my opinion.[/quote']

Well, until Campbell is able to win us a Super Bowl, I would refrain from that notion as of right now.

But, why not open the offense more to Campbell's capabilities in the future.

I really do not know...his QB rating is 81 (20th in the league) and his completion pct is third to the worst of starting QBs (only D. Anderson and T Jackson are worse). OUr passing offense is 18th. These are below-average numbers.

If he is better than what his numbers show, should we be better than 3-2?? I mean, we have #3 denfese.

take away dropped balls last week and his numbers would have been closer too...

27-37...2tds 0 int...

he then would have had 5 tds and no picks in his last three games..

thanks Moss.

You can not calculate things like that. Dropped balls/INTs happen to every team.

I really do not know...his QB rating is 81 (20th in the league) and his completion pct is third to the worst of starting QBs (only D. Anderson and T Jackson are worse). OUr passing offense is 18th. These are below-average numbers.

If he is better than what his numbers show, should we be better than 3-2?? I mean, we have #3 denfese.

Can't blame JC for the unforgiveable number of drops we've had thus far. Some of his picks are on the receivers as well, IMO. Remember, we'd be 4-1 or 5-0 if it wasn't for a blocked run at the goal line here or a fumble by a WR there. The mistakes that cost us those two games had nothing to do with JC.

With the rules the way they are it really has become a passing league. But when the defense is defending run with 6 or 7. You have to make them pay. Were not doing that right now. Need that running game to take pressure of JC. Would love to see us get a big time, big body receiver, for JC. And some more, younge, depth across the oline.

This is a bit off topic, but I've been wanting to do this comparison:

At 2 years and 5 games:

Tony Romo sits to pee: 11 games, 0 starts, 0 comp, 0 attempts, 0 yards, 0 TDs, 0 rating, 2 rushes, -2 yards, 0 rushing TDs

Jason Campbell: 12 games, 12 starts, 198 comp, 357 attempts, 2383 yards, 15 TDs, 78.4 rating, 42 rushes, 193 yards and 1 TD.

BTW, Romo sits to pee would be average at best without Terrell Owens. Proof?

While these stats are imperfect (since Drew Bledsoe threw passes to Terrell Owens for 6 games too), they give a pretty good picture:

Out of 537 Career passing attempts, Tony Romo sits to pee targeted Terrell Owens on 208 occasions (Drew Bledsoe accounted for those 208 too), hooking up 112 times (also Drew Bledsoe). Let's say that half those times they missed were Terrell Owens' fault and the other half Tony Romo sits to pee's (with a tiny bit built in for Drew Bledsoe)... I accounted for the TDs thrown by Romo sits to pee to Owens... There were only two TDs thrown to Owens from Bledsoe that year. Romo sits to pee hit him for 11 TDs... I'll credit Romo sits to pee with an additional 250 yards to account for the yards Owens may have received under Bledsoe (this is generous).

Let's remove as much of Owens' statistics from the equation (can't completely remove Bledsoe, unfortunately).... We also can't account for the times when coverages were shifted to account for Owens and left other players wide open.

Numbers with Owens:

Attempts - Completions - Yards - TDs - INTs - Rating

537 - 339 - 4610 - 22 - 94.5

Numbers without Owens:

Attempts - Completions - Yards - TDs - INTs - Rating

377 - 227 - 3227 - 19 - 22 - 80.4

A 14 points difference! I'd assume the difference is even more significant when you account for defenses game-planning for Owens. I also imagine that Owens only accounts for 25% of those dropped passes and not 50%... 48 in 21 games is 4+ per game. Adding 24 additional incompletions drops his QB rating four points. His rating would probably be in the range of 75.7 and the 80.4 that was quoted above.

Look at Donovan McNabb's quarterback rating with Terrell Owens and without Terrell Owens... it's like a 20 point difference.

Anyway, Tony Romo sits to pee isn't even remotely close to "the next Brett Favre"... he sat his arse down on the bench for 3 years and without Terrell Owens creating opportunities for him, he would probably still be a journeyman backup.

The reason Tony Romo sits to pee hasn't been extended yet? Terrell Owens' contract balloons to $8M next season and the Cowboys will have to make a decision on what to do with him. The Cowboys expect to have two first round picks next year, and may want to see if a legitimate NFL franchise quarterback is available when they draft. Next year's draft class includes Brian Brohm and Andre Woodson who may have more upside than a 28 year old with very little upside after Terrell Owens leaves.

I like Campbell he is very good but I am pissed at some misses he is makeing as well, Yoder over the middle was way late coulda been a nice 20 yarder, Long throws to BLoyd and others are a little long and the miss to MCardell on 4th down...and a few times he could step up into a nice pocket and he is retreating giving the def end a better line to him.

Archived