Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Food For Thought to Brighten the Mood Around Here

#98QBKiller

In 2000 the New England Patriots went 5-11, in 2001 they went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl over the St. Louis Rams.

The Super Bowl year, five games into the season they were 2-3. Seven games into the season they were 3-4.

They went on to win 8 out of 9 games.

The only 2 blowouts they won in that stretch were against the 1-15 Carolina Panthers and the 7-9 New Orleans Saints.

They won 4 games in that stretch by 6 to 11 points.

They won 2 games in that stretch by 3 points or less (against the 3-13 Bills and 10-6 Jets).

They won an AFC Divisional playoff game 16-13 (the famous Raiders game).

They won the AFC Championship game 24-17 (Steelers)

And they beat the Rams to win the Super Bowl 20-17

I'm not saying we are going to go 11-5 and win the Super Bowl (I mean, we could you know :) ) but sometimes you've got to realize that the world isn't coming to an end. The season's not over until it's over. Let things play out and see what happens.

Who would've guessed in week 5 of 2001 that at 2-3, we were witnessing the birth of a dynasty team that would go on to win 3 out of the next 4 Super Bowls and (now) possibly more?

Go Skins. :logo:

I wouldnt go as far as saying that a friend of mine thought they would be this great "dynasty" but he did lay between 200-300 dollars on them to win the super bowl and afc championships..the winnings he got from the afc championship he money lined on the super bowl and when it was all said and done placemybet.com had to pay him $25,000ish..( he ended up blowing 20 thousand on that years ncaa basketball tournament but thats another story)

Interesting. I wonder how healthy they were that year though. It seems like injuries could become a factor. I'm hoping that this won't be the case as far as injuries are concerned.

Not sure about that, I'll try and find out some info because I'm curious myself. I do know that the most important injury of that franchise happened that year and that was when Bledsoe got injured in game 2 of the season and was replaced by Tom Brady. I also know that they drafted Richard Seymour and he started that season and that gave their defense a big boost. That year defense had just as much to do with their success if not more than offense did.

Interesting. I wonder how healthy they were that year though. It seems like injuries could become a factor. I'm hoping that this won't be the case as far as injuries are concerned.

Right on. The injuries to the Skins' O-line this year have been brutal and it will be the main reason for the Skins' troubles this year. The Pats were realtively healthy that year and it was simply a matter of getting their act together.

It really is a shame too, with the way the defense and Campbell are playing. The fact is that the running game can't get going if the scrubs on the line cant get a push and Campbell cannot be expected to pull a houdini every time he drops back to pass.

Up until last week's game, I had believed the Skins had a remote chance to beat the Pats when they play in a couple of weeks. But after looking at what is left of the Skins' O-line, I really dont think it's even gonna be a close game. Sure, I think the defense will play valiantly, but ultimately succumb to the Pats juggernaut offense because the Skins' offense will not be able to sustain drives...oh yeah, and by then, Richard Seamour will be back and ready to go.

Well, hopefully by saying all this I have effectively jinxed the Pats in what should be a trap game for them (they play the Colts after the Skins). Any given Sunday, right?

In 2000 the New England Patriots went 5-11, in 2001 they went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl over the St. Louis Rams.

The Super Bowl year, five games into the season they were 2-3. Seven games into the season they were 3-4.

The only 2 blowouts they won in that stretch were against the 1-15 Carolina Panthers and the 7-9 New Orleans Saints.

They won 2 games in that stretch by 3 points or less (against the 3-13 Bills and 10-6 Jets).

I'm not saying we are going to go 11-5 and win the Super Bowl (I mean, we could you know :) ) but sometimes you've got to realize that the world isn't coming to an end. The season's not over until it's over. Let things play out and see what happens.

Who would've guessed in week 5 of 2001 that at 2-3, we were witnessing the birth of a dynasty team that would go on to win 3 out of the next 4 Super Bowls and (now) possibly more?

Well I like your valid points and enthusiasm because I definitely see a whole lot of potential for out team, it's that I think our team isn't on their level yet and are missing a few essential elements on offense and maybe on defense to put us over the top. Anything is possible though.... We may just blow it up and go on a run. :helmet: :logo: :point2sky

The best thing about this post is that it hopefully will prevent people from throwing in the towel and saying our season is over just because we have a couple of losses. We are 3-2 and some fans have written us off. It was just like the 2005 season when we looked like we were doomed and we won out the season and made it to the 2nd round of the paloffs.

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR TEAM!

For a person who's promoting Obama for prez your post actually was an interesting read, i'm shocked :D :logo:

I wouldnt go as far as saying that a friend of mine thought they would be this great "dynasty" but he did lay between 200-300 dollars on them to win the super bowl and afc championships..the winnings he got from the afc championship he money lined on the super bowl and when it was all said and done placemybet.com had to pay him $25,000ish..( he ended up blowing 20 thousand on that years ncaa basketball tournament but thats another story)

That's why the house ALWAYS wins. Even when a compulsive gambler wins, they just can't take their cash and go home. They always think they can win more. Wow. 25K. I could've paid cash for my new truck instead of going in debt. Next time he wins, tell him to send the cash to me. I'll put it to better use. :cheers:

The best thing about this post is that it hopefully will prevent people from throwing in the towel and saying our season is over just because we have a couple of losses. We are 3-2 and some fans have written us off. It was just like the 2005 season when we looked like we were doomed and we won out the season and made it to the 2nd round of the paloffs.

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR TEAM!

I don't think many people in here are giving up. They're just upset at losing games we should have won after leading.

If the Skins are to make the playoffs they will need 6 more victories at least ... I see them beating only the Cards, Jets, and Bills and even this won't be easy. Do the math ... it just dosen't add up.

Chicago is weak this year and we have them at home. We can split with the Giants and Cowpukes. We get Philly at home. Tampa is not exactly lighting the scoreboard up and Minnesota at the end of the season is a winnable game. More chances then you think. Not saying we'll win all of them, but don't write us off yet.

It's ALWAYS the injuries. To go all the way you need to have some luck--and significantly so with injuries. With parity the way it is today in the NFL, every team has some players who just can't be replaced. With all that we've gone thru on the OLine, just imagine how much worse it could get if Campbell went down :((perish the thought!! ).

• 1 month later...

Archived