Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Packers fan comments on ST during ESPN "Winners" chat...

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Has anyone said that the offensive coordinator has to game plan with Sean in mind?

Did you completely miss the first quote & link I posted? Vince Young was specifically stating how they need to account for Taylor on every play. If you can't extrapolate from that the fact that game planning happens because of Sean Taylor I don't know what to tell you.

Are you even watching the games? Have you even noticed that plays, which were lacking last year, Sean has brought to the field during this season? Yes, I know you are trying to prove that Sean isn't that much of a playmaker, but it flies in defiance of reality. Not only is Sean a playmaker this year, but he is definitely a player that coaches will need to take into account. ...

Again, you are so determined to drive your point home, you seem to ignore reality to fit your perception. Watch Taylor THIS YEAR and you will see a top-5 NFL safety.

Sean Taylor is playing a different position this year, one which will give him more opportunities to make interceptions, less opportunity to hit people, more opportunity to make mistakes in coverage, less opportunities to take bad angles, and more opportunities to miss open field tackles (with high tackling).

This debate started in another thread when I said, contrary to popular opinion, that Sean is overrated by many Redskins fans. He hasn't yet lived up to the potential we saw when he was drafted with the #5 pick. He isn't close to being the feared, impact player of the Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu standards.

He might yet develop into that player in the free safety position, but it hasn't happened yet. He has grade A talent, as we'd expect from a #5 pick, but I think I'm being generous to give his career performance a grade B rating. Good but not great.

Answering all these posts is hard enough without having to keep explaining the same things over and over. How good Sean might be someday if he lives up to his potential is not the topic here.

Who even knows what his potential is? The only person that knows what he is truly capable of is Sean himself. And I highly doubt he sitting beside you as you post telling you what to say.

Your questions you keep asking is if anyone has said if he's in the same league as Ed Reed, Palamolu, Sanders, and the original poster gave a convo where a columinst said that if he keeps up what he's been doing so far that he can be better than all those guys. Is it that hard for you to understand. If you don't think offenses discuss Sean in their meeting then your crazy. Really. Hey maybe the Packers didn't, but look what happened.

Answering all these posts is hard enough without having to keep explaining the same things over and over. How good Sean might be someday if he lives up to his potential is not the topic here.

Actually, the topic of a thread is generally laid out in the first post of said thread. If you've steered the topic in a direction that allows you to nitpick at Taylor's performance that's not my fault. The rest of us are talking about what Williamson is talking about.

When Williamson said what he did he wasn't overrating Taylor. When we agree with him we aren't either. When you disagree and say Taylor deserves a 'C' for his play on the field (or maybe a 'B' but just this once), and then you say noone puts him in the same sentence as the top safeties in the league to back up your claims, that's incorrect. Williamson did. Time to come up with another way to justify your opinion.

Did you completely miss the first quote & link I posted? Vince Young was specifically stating how they need to account for Taylor on every play. If you can't extrapolate from that the fact that game planning happens because of Sean Taylor I don't know what to tell you.

I read the Vince Young comment as a tribute to Sean as a hard hitter -- because that was the question. Saying you have to be aware of him and where he is as a player who might take your head off doesn't tell me that the offensive scheme is designed to avoid Sean Taylor because he hits hard. In fact, that idea seems a little absurd.

I read the Vince Young comment as a tribute to Sean as a hard hitter -- because that was the question. Saying you have to be aware of him and where he is as a player who might take your head off doesn't tell me that the offensive scheme is designed to avoid Sean Taylor because he hits hard. In fact, that idea seems a little absurd.

Your right guy. Your obviously much more educated in the game of football than the rest of us. Lets just stop guys. He know WAY more than we do. Sean Taylor sucks. He's one of the worst players on our team behind Clinton Portis. Shew. It's so clear now. Im glad I finally realized. Come on guys, lets pack it up and move on, Oldfan is way to smart for us. Im glad I learned something today.

did anyone else think that sean didnt even have a good game on sunday?

I feel like the only reason he got the picks is because Brett was airing his passes out too much for some reason. He was beat WELL on several plays, and the only reason we didnt give up 6 was because brett put too much loft on the passes

Nah. Everyone in this thread thinks he's awesome. :)

Saying you have to be aware of him and where he is as a player who might take your head off

But he didn't say "as a player who might take your head off". Those are your words. He didn't qualify it. He said you have to be aware of him every play. Point Blank end of discussion. YOU are the one who's qualifying it because it's what you want to believe. How can you be intellectually honest with yourself and deny the fact that when player A goes on record speaking about player B stating that he has to be aware of player B on every play, that the topic of player B is not brought up in team meetings and is planned for? That's what's absurd.

Um bro, ever heard of alligator arms? If you have a safety like Sean Taylor playing centerfield, receivers won't want to go over the middle and risk getting their head taken off, or the having the ball popped out for a fumble.

Having ST roam the deep middle changes the game tremendously.

I got news for you guys that think Brett somehow magically decided to put a lot of air under his balls and underthrow them. Favre has done this a LOT over his career. One good example that comes to mind is his playoff appearance against the Ealges a few years ago. He put up some bad balls, into bad postions, with a lot of arc in them. It's nothing new for Favre.

I feel like the only reason he got the picks is because Brett was airing his passes out too much for some reason. He was beat WELL on several plays, and the only reason we didnt give up 6 was because brett put too much loft on the passes

Absolutely not. Regardless of what Favre did or didn't do, Taylor made plays, picking two balls and almost picking 3 more so he had a great game, we shut them down. Part of that is Favre knowing Taylor's going to be back there, knowing the range he can cover and knowing how perfect a throw needs to be to beat this guy. Part of it is aslo the DL being able to apply some pressure to alter throws.

However, I still did notice that the plays were there for GB to make as did you. That's why I'm still a little on the fence about just how good a defense we are. We certainly a very good defense but I just have a feeling that if you take those situations and they come up again and it's Brady to Moss (or Stallworth) or Romo sits to pee to TO.....somehow I don't think they'll be sailing long and falling short. Mayhap that it's something we know and we were gambling extra because we knew what kind of pressure we could get on Kitna, we knew the ball was wet and Favre can't hurl it like he used to. That remains to be seen. That's why I'm not YET ready to call us the best defense or call ST DPOY because some of the same mistakes we've seen in the past have been there only the opposing team hasn't capitalized. Like I said, it may be they never will but I want to see it for a few more games against a few more diverse and talented offenses before I'm yelling "Super Bowl baby, here we come!!!!" :)

Is that fair enough, Henry, or am I just a negative nancy who can't accept a good thing when it's right in front of my face? :)

Actually, the topic of a thread is generally laid out in the first post of said thread. If you've steered the topic in a direction that allows you to nitpick at Taylor's performance that's not my fault. The rest of us are talking about what Williamson is talking about.

Not me, not you, nor anyone else in this thread has been debating Sean Taylor's obvious potential.

The statement you referenced does not address Sean's current reputation in the NFL.

He is a RARE cat. Has ZERO physical weaknesses. Is making a statement and if he stays dedicated, he will be better than Reed, Wilson and Troy P.

On the other hand, I'll gladly accept this statement as relevant since the author implies that Sean doe not currently rank with those safeties he listed.

Well, you do have to put some air on some of the longer passes. Too flat of a throw, and the ball ends up behind the receiver. Also, I don't know about Sean being "beat WELL on several plays"; you have to keep in mind that the cornerback may have primary assignment on some of the coverage. Have you actually looked at the tape to positively identify when Sean was beat and when it was his coverage responsiblity? Also, there were ONLY a few plays where maybe the Packer's WR maybe had a step on his coverage.

Let's not act as if the Greenbay WR's were running loose and wild in our secondary: Favre only had like 188 yards of something.

Um bro, ever heard of alligator arms? If you have a safety like Sean Taylor playing centerfield, receivers won't want to go over the middle and risk getting their head taken off, or the having the ball popped out for a fumble.

Having ST roam the deep middle changes the game tremendously.

Yours is about the fifth or sixth post making this ridiculous claim. Sean is one of the hardest hitter in the NFL, but we're talking about the NFL. The WRs playing the game aren't pansies.

Not me, not you, nor anyone else in this thread has been debating Sean Taylor's obvious potential.

The statement you referenced does not address Sean's current reputation in the NFL.

He is a RARE cat. Has ZERO physical weaknesses. Is making a statement and if he stays dedicated, he will be better than Reed, Wilson and Troy P.

On the other hand, I'll gladly accept this statement as relevant since the author implies that Sean doe not currently rank with those safeties he listed.

Considering he has better stats than all those listed. Uh, I would say he ranks with them RIGHT NOW. And if he continues what he's doing this season for the rest of his career, HE WILL be better than those listed. Is it that hard to understand.

They mush not like you at the retirement home either. I bet everyone there loves the chocolate chip cookie's, but to you there's one too many chocolate chips, and until they take that one chip away, it won't be as good as the other cookies out there.

Oldfan, why didn't you bold 'Is making a statement'?

I didn't know what he meant. How does a player make a statement playing football? It sounded like one of those buzz words like "rythym." Ladell needs to carry the ball more so he can find his rhythym.

Yours is about the fifth or sixth post making this ridiculous claim. Sean is one of the hardest hitter in the NFL, but we're talking about the NFL. The WRs playing the game aren't pansies.

On the contrary, many receivers will experience a lapse of concentration and will drop the ball if they think a big time hit is coming. The 05 home dallas game is an example, or the pro bowl, while it might be the pro bowl and guys are just trying to avoid injury, Reggie Wayne completely abandoned his route because he saw Sean Taylor about to hit him.

I'm not saying it affects every WR, but it definately affects a good portion of them.

Archived