Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Very Telling Stat(s) about our Defense vs 2006 D

Rskins91

We all know the stats about our defense. #3 in the League, #1 in the NFC, #8 in both Pass and Run Defense, #2 in YPP... Great numbers all around. But the main thing that killed us last year was the big play. I can't tell you how many times the Skins let up a big play through the air to suck the life out of me, and most likely the battered up Defense. So far we haven't seen that year, and it's most likely due to the play of Area 51 and the Cover 3 scheme we run. However, when I looked on NFL.com for the offical stats, I didn't expect this...

Top 5 Defenses in stopping the Big play.

+20 Yards allowed:

#1 - Indianapolis: 6 plays of 20+ yards allowed.

#2 - Washington: 7 plays of 20+ yards allowed.

#3 - Tampa Bay: 8 plays of 20+ yards allowed.

#4 - St. Louis: 9 plays of 20+ allowed. <--- (How I don't know) :laugh:

#5 - Philadelphia: 9 plays of 20+ yards allowed.

+40 Yards allowed:

#1 - (T) Washington, New England, Pittsburgh, and Oakland: 0 plays of 40+ yards allowed.

Longest play let up from scrimmage:

#1 - Washington: 33 yards

#2 - Oakland: 35 yards

#3 - New England: 36 yards

#4 - Pittsburgh: 38 yards

#5 - Green Bay: 40 yards

I knew the big play has been limited, but damn... we've really done a complete 180 degree turn in terms of last year.

Here's to hoping the Skins keep up this pace.

:cheers:

thanks for digging this up. looks like we're implementing the bend-don't-break system nicely. i'm very high on this defense, but if it at some point disappoints, it will probably be against the mid-range passing game.

anyone w/ a good grasp of D schemes -- will the gelling of our linebackers neutralize that mid-range attack, or will it always be a vulnerability?

(HAIL!)

Our defense is the difference this year. Campbell's playing well, but we'd be 1-3 with last year's defense. At best.

Looks like 2006 was the exception, and '04,'05 and now '07 are the rule. Good to see. :)

06 was just an anomoly..... we didnt have a true MLB, our 'other' safety was complete ass, our d-line was banged up and our #1 cb was banged up

hopefully our defense can keep away from the injury bug this season

Our defense is the difference this year. Campbell's playing well, but we'd be 1-3 with last year's defense. At best.

Looks like 2006 was the exception, and '04,'05 and now '07 are the rule. Good to see. :)

'04? Are you sure you want to use that one?

:helmet: The Rook

'04? Are you sure you want to use that one?

:helmet: The Rook

I think he meant defensively. I'm sure he's not saying our offense is like the 04' offense. :)

And personally? I think this unit has a chance to be better than the 04 unit, thanks in part to our offense and Campbell's progression and play.

You know why? It's almost entirely because of Sean Taylor - he patrols center field like no other FS today, and he scares quarterbacks from throwing over the middle and scares receivers from catching over the middle. His recovery time is so great that he can outrun a receiver from behind and catch up to a pass while it's in the air, and his reactionary abilities are so superb that even when caught out of position, he can get back and prevent a player from breaking it deep.

Him being stationed in a complete coverage system has done wonders for this defense. And of course, the drafting of a one Laron Landry (and not a defensive lineman) has allowed this

Archived