Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some NFL rule clarification

Passizle

What the hell happened last night? I thought during a kickoff, that the ball had to touch a memeber of the other team for it to be a live ball.

If you watch the replay, Crayton jumped up, swatted the ball forward and then another Puke recovered it about 10 yards down field. During the whole process, that ball NEVER touch a Bill.

Does anyone here know the rules for onside kicks?

Anyways, what a BS win and I cant wait to see TRPB Romo sits to pee vs Campbell stat tracker sig today.

HTTR!!!

BTW. I also thought that a game could not end on a defensive penalty. The Bills were offside on the last kick. I actually wish I had a replay, cause it looked to me like one of the Pokes (Columbo?) jumped before the snap. taht whole last minute was absolute mayhem for the refs. nobody knew what was going on.

He's right. On a punt it's not a live ball until it touches a member of the receiving team, but on a kickoff it's always a live ball.

Oh well. I did not know that. Dumb rule.

On a side note, I also thought you could not bat the ball forward. Last week there was a situation like that and the ball was ruled dead where touched.

IDK man. That game sucked at the end. How many breaks can one team get?

Cowboys are the luckiest team in the league right now.

This is a separate complaint, but the Bills didn't get charged a timeout when they challenged a spot of the ball, even though it still resulted in a first down. Why the double-standard?

It was inside 2 minutes, therefore the challenge came from upstairs

The onsides kick was totally legal

my only beef about the onside is the fact that it supposedly only took 2 seconds. even the annoncers commented on that fact. if someone has game film could they possibly time how long that play took. i'm no expert on the whole time/ space thing but i swear that had to be the longest 2 seconds in history.

It was inside 2 minutes, therefore the challenge came from upstairs

The onsides kick was totally legal

He's talking about earlier in the game when they moved the ball back 4 yards after a Julius Jones run. Jones got a 1st down anyway, and Buffalo wasn't charged a TO.

It is totally weird game.

Cowgirls seemed to use all their fortunate cookies in this game.

I changed my predictions. They will lose all three road games against NFC EAst games. If Romo sits to pee/cowboys think playing Bills in Buffalo is tough, wait until they come to us, NY and Philly.

He's talking about earlier in the game when they moved the ball back 4 yards after a Julius Jones run. Jones got a 1st down anyway, and Buffalo wasn't charged a TO.

Oh... that play. Well... they did not lose a timeout, because they were right to challenge the call. Barber/Jones (Dont remember) was down by contact when his knee hit the ground.

Buffalo was right to challenge the call as the Refs were about to give the Boys 7 extra yards for free.

Call reversed. no loss of timeout.

Oh... that play. Well... they did not lose a timeout, because they were right to challenge the call. Barber/Jones (Dont remember) was down by contact when his knee hit the ground.

Buffalo was right to challenge the call as the Refs were about to give the Boys 7 extra yards for free.

Call reversed. no loss of timeout.

The point was that this weekend, a team lost a challenge and a timeout even though they moved the spot of the ball. Was it the Redskins?

A couple of years ago, Dallas challenged a similar play, and they moved the spot of the ball 3 yards (it was actually challenging where the Dallas guy went down). However, it didn't give them a 1st down, so the refs said they lost the challenge even though they gained 3 yards on the review.

It's inconsistenly called.

I think what he's contrasting that ruling to (and I asked the same question during the game thread), was that supposedly, during the GB-Chi game, GB challenged a spot.

After review, the refs moved the ball back. Then they brought out the chains, measured, and it was still a First Down. So they charged GB for a TO.

Now maybe the reason for the two different results (Bills get the ball moved back and keep the TO. GB gets the ball moved back and gets charged, anyway.) was that the two coaches phrased their challenges differently.

Maybe the Bills coach said "He wasn't that far down field", but the GB coach said "He didn't make a First Down."

But the results were different. Both reviews resulted in moving the ball back, but one team got charged a TO.

my only beef about the onside is the fact that it supposedly only took 2 seconds. even the annoncers commented on that fact. if someone has game film could they possibly time how long that play took. i'm no expert on the whole time/ space thing but i swear that had to be the longest 2 seconds in history.

Clock doesn't start moving until the ball is touched AFTER the kick. It then stops when the player is ruled down. Two seconds is probably about right, even though I didn't see the end of the game. You figure a player that catches the ball is going to the ground and will be immediately touched.

What the hell happened last night? I thought during a kickoff, that the ball had to touch a memeber of the other team for it to be a live ball.

If you watch the replay, Crayton jumped up, swatted the ball forward and then another Puke recovered it about 10 yards down field. During the whole process, that ball NEVER touch a Bill.

Anyways, what a BS win and I cant wait to see TRPB Romo sits to pee vs Campbell stat tracker sig today.

HTTR!!!

BTW. I also thought that a game could not end on a defensive penalty. The Bills were offside on the last kick. I actually wish I had a replay, cause it looked to me like one of the Pokes (Columbo?) jumped before the snap. taht whole last minute was absolute mayhem for the refs. nobody knew what was going on.

Think thats bad, how about that incomplete pass to TO. Looked like that play took longer than 5 seconds,however thats all the refs took off the clock

Oh well. I did not know that. Dumb rule.

On a side note, I also thought you could not bat the ball forward. Last week there was a situation like that and the ball was ruled dead where touched.

IDK man. That game sucked at the end. How many breaks can one team get?

Cowboys are the luckiest team in the league right now.

That was what I was thinking also. He batted it forward and they got 23 yards out of it. Should have went back to where he touched it. And #20 on Buffalo needs to be cut. He wussed out trying to get to the ball.

This is a separate complaint, but the Bills didn't get charged a timeout when they challenged a spot of the ball, even though it still resulted in a first down. Why the double-standard?

They actually won the challenge. They challenged the spot of the ball, not whether it was a first down or not. The NFL got it wrong in the GB/Chi game. Same situation and GB shouldn't have been charged a Timout because they actually won the challenge.

Clock doesn't start moving until the ball is touched AFTER the kick. It then stops when the player is ruled down. Two seconds is probably about right, even though I didn't see the end of the game. You figure a player that catches the ball is going to the ground and will be immediately touched.

Ball kicked from the Dallass 30, touched at the 40 and half, recovered on the Buffalo 47. That's 23 yards. Do you know anyone who can run 23 yards in 2 seconds, let alone grab a fumbled ball? Bogus. Should've been about 16 or 15 seconds left.

First off, to answer the original question, the ball must go 10 yards before it can be touched by the kicking team. They got lucky to have just barely got that.

As far as time,.. the clock does not start until the ball is touched. But even so, I think the whole ball off the helmet and going 10 yards until someone fell on it and the whistle was blown had to take longer than 2 seconds...

HTTR!!!

How did you enjoy growing up in Spain?

What did you think of futbol americano?

The time does not start till after the ball is touched. As far as the amount of time that is coming off the clock it was correct. Think about it for a minute. NFL playes run a 40 in 4.5 seconds or so depending on the position. That is from a dead stop. The player who recovered the ball was already running so he could very easily cover that amount of group and recover the ball in 2 seconds. Also, touching the ball does nothing as a team has to establish possesion. You are confusing the rules of a punt and a kick.

Your right, however the offense declined the penalty and took the result of the play, so game over. Everything in the last two minutes of the game was reviewed extreamly close. Think about how the replay booth said they wanted to watch a replay on the play in which Romo sits to pee spiked the ball. I find it hard to believe that the got the call down to the field that quick.

Archived