Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some NFL rule clarification

Passizle

Ball kicked from the Dallass 30, touched at the 40 and half, recovered on the Buffalo 47. That's 23 yards. Do you know anyone who can run 23 yards in 2 seconds, let alone grab a fumbled ball? Bogus. Should've been about 16 or 15 seconds left.

Ahhh..I see. I didn't see the game (thankfully), so I'd assumed it was just a 12 yard kickoff/recovery.

Listenting to sports talk radio today, they also said the Cowboys scored a touchdown with no time running off the clock. Is that correct? Of were they talking about the extra points attempts?

This is a separate complaint, but the Bills didn't get charged a timeout when they challenged a spot of the ball, even though it still resulted in a first down. Why the double-standard?

Because they didn't challenge that it was a first down. They challenged the spot of the ball, which was indeed overturned. That's a won challenge.

What the hell happened last night? I thought during a kickoff, that the ball had to touch a memeber of the other team for it to be a live ball.

If you watch the replay, Crayton jumped up, swatted the ball forward and then another Puke recovered it about 10 yards down field. During the whole process, that ball NEVER touch a Bill.

Does anyone here know the rules for onside kicks?

Anyways, what a BS win and I cant wait to see TRPB Romo sits to pee vs Campbell stat tracker sig today.

HTTR!!!

BTW. I also thought that a game could not end on a defensive penalty. The Bills were offside on the last kick. I actually wish I had a replay, cause it looked to me like one of the Pokes (Columbo?) jumped before the snap. taht whole last minute was absolute mayhem for the refs. nobody knew what was going on.

Been watching football very long? Because that rule is pretty simple. The ball has to go 10 yards before the kicking team can touch it. Clearly, the replay showed that it was around the 41 yard line when Crayton touched it. Perfectly legal play. Now, the receiving team can touch it before it goes 10 yards. And I have no idea what you're talking about on the FG try. It didn't appear to me that anyone on Dallas' line moved before the snap. Nor did it appear the Bills jumped offsides. And even had the Bills jumped, and a flag was thrown, then Dallas would have simply declined the penalty and accepted the play. (winning FG kick)

Oh well. I did not know that. Dumb rule.

On a side note, I also thought you could not bat the ball forward. Last week there was a situation like that and the ball was ruled dead where touched.

IDK man. That game sucked at the end. How many breaks can one team get?

Cowboys are the luckiest team in the league right now.

Uh, Crayton wasn't attempting to bat the ball forward. He was simply trying to recover the kick after it had gone 10 yards. And how would that have benefited him, anyway, if there were nothing but Bills players in the area where his hand knocked the ball forward? I don't really get your reasoning there.

my only beef about the onside is the fact that it supposedly only took 2 seconds. even the annoncers commented on that fact. if someone has game film could they possibly time how long that play took. i'm no expert on the whole time/ space thing but i swear that had to be the longest 2 seconds in history.

Yeah, they definitely missed the boat on that. Should have been around 14 seconds left at that point.

Clock doesn't start moving until the ball is touched AFTER the kick. It then stops when the player is ruled down. Two seconds is probably about right, even though I didn't see the end of the game. You figure a player that catches the ball is going to the ground and will be immediately touched.

Yeah, its obvious you didn't see the play. Crayton was the first player to get a hand on the ball. He was sort of diving at it and managed to get a paw on it. The result was the ball careened forward about 5 yards and then there was a small skirmish for the ball. No way that took only 2 seconds. Probably should have resulted in no less than :15 left on the clock. But it probably didnt matter, anyway. I just think the Bills secondary allowed WAY too much of a cushion those two pass plays to the sidelines. No way should it have been that easy for Romo sits to pee to pick up that extra yardage. That ended up costing them.

That was what I was thinking also. He batted it forward and they got 23 yards out of it. Should have went back to where he touched it. And #20 on Buffalo needs to be cut. He wussed out trying to get to the ball.

No offense, but this is all wrong. Go back and look at it again. The ball had gone just past the 40 yard line when Crayton first touched it. He basically batted it only about 5 or so yards. At that point, Romo sits to pee then completed two short passes to the sidelines, which got the ball to the 36. By your scenario he batted it to the 36 and then they kicked the FG. You're completely forgetting that Romo sits to pee completed two short throws to the sidelines. There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything Dallas did on that onsides kick. You guys maybe should brush up on the rules a little.

Ball kicked from the Dallass 30, touched at the 40 and half, recovered on the Buffalo 47. That's 23 yards. Do you know anyone who can run 23 yards in 2 seconds, let alone grab a fumbled ball? Bogus. Should've been about 16 or 15 seconds left.

I don't think anyone is really questioning that there should have been a few less seconds left on the clock. However, as big a cushion as the Bills defense was giving Dallas' receivers on those last two pass plays, it probably wouldn't have mattered. Don't really know what their thinking was there.

How does Buffalo not recover that kick. Was that there "good hands" package? :doh:

It was just an excellent onsides kick by Folk. He hit it just right, where it bounces high up in the air. A kick like that, its basically anyone's ball unless the receiving team goes up and gets it before it goes 10. And the kick was so good that would have been hard to do. Just credit their kicker. End of story.

Well... sorry to offend all the know it alls.

I think that is the one thing I hate about this board. People ask an honest question and you feces from Richards saying basically your are dumb and not worthy of description. To them I give a big "UP YOURS". You know who you are.

To everyone else I lend a thank you and a pat on the back for some good conversation.

I don't think anyone is really questioning that there should have been a few less seconds left on the clock. However, as big a cushion as the Bills defense was giving Dallas' receivers on those last two pass plays, it probably wouldn't have mattered. Don't really know what their thinking was there.

actually makes a world of difference as when the second pass was caught there was only 2 seconds left on the clock. now, take away 2 seconds on the onside kick and whalla end of game. simple math really. now if they only had 14-15 seconds left they probably would have had to try to get more yardage in shorter amount of time. thereby gameplanning would have been different. no matter :dallasuck anyways.

Maybe it's my hate for the Cowboys, but I noticed the refs being a bit lenient on them and rough on the Bills all night. I've honestly never heard of a 15 yard personal foul for grasping the back of the helmet. That really helped move the Cowboys into good field position. Then, why was there only a 5 yard facemask called instead of the horsecollar or helmet to helmet late hit? There were 3 penalties on that one play, two 15 yarders, and one 5. Yet only the 5 yarder was called.

I'm wondering if anyone saw the play here. Hurd, not Crayton, made the initial contact with the ball just past the 40. The ball moved 13 yards where it was recovered by Curtis.

2-3 seconds sounds about right for about 13 yards. I'm not sure where Curtis was in relation to Hurd when Hurd touched the ball - he could have had more or less than 13 yards to run to recover the ball. If I still have it on Tivo, I'll take a look.

I did a very scientific study on youtube, and from the touch by Hurd to the recovery by Curtis, it took exactly two seconds, although I'd probably add maybe a fraction of a second for the recovery to be complete. My guess is that they actually timed it when they did the instant replay review of the play.

actually makes a world of difference as when the second pass was caught there was only 2 seconds left on the clock. now, take away 2 seconds on the onside kick and whalla end of game. simple math really. now if they only had 14-15 seconds left they probably would have had to try to get more yardage in shorter amount of time. thereby gameplanning would have been different. no matter :dallasuck anyways.

I say it probably wouldn't have mattered because of the way the Bills defense was on that last drive. That was horrible how they were playing so far off the receivers. And I thought there were only 3 seconds left when they attempted the FG? Anyway, it really doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if anyone saw the play here. Hurd, not Crayton, made the initial contact with the ball just past the 40. The ball moved 13 yards where it was recovered by Curtis.

2-3 seconds sounds about right for about 13 yards. I'm not sure where Curtis was in relation to Hurd when Hurd touched the ball - he could have had more or less than 13 yards to run to recover the ball. If I still have it on Tivo, I'll take a look.

I did a very scientific study on youtube, and from the touch by Hurd to the recovery by Curtis, it took exactly two seconds, although I'd probably add maybe a fraction of a second for the recovery to be complete. My guess is that they actually timed it when they did the instant replay review of the play.

I was saying Crayton because that's who another person stated first touched it. I dunno. Don't really recall if it was Crayton or Hurd. And it really doesn't matter. The thread wasn't even about who touched it. Try and keep up.

Archived