Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calling timeout on game winners

ST is my boy

I think it's a "cheezy" way of icing the kicker,but there really isn't anything you can do about it...As long as it's called before the play starts,then it is still legit!

I don't think the rule will be changed next season however;unless the Patriots,Colts or Dallas lose on a play like this...

If it cost the Writers an analysts from being able to slobber all over their favorite teams,you can bet your house the league committee will make a rule change on it some way or another...

Can you imagine a play like that costing the Cowboys,Patriots or a repeating Colts team a Superbowl trip cause of a timeout called....

What i'm waiting for,is for this to happen again.....only the kicker shanks it the 1st time only to be saved by the other team calling a timeout beyond 50 yards.....Then drills the 2nd one for the game winner!Now that would be priceless....specially if that team is us!

It doesn't just ice the kicker.

It also makes linemen who are dog tired get up and down out of their stance over and over, and block for a dummy play.

It's a fine strategy, and it works once in a while.

You guys who think it's a bad ploy should stick to a game where everything is meant to be nice, like bowling or badminton or something.

It makes linemen that much more fatigued. It makes the kicker think again, it makes the center snap another good one, and it makes the holder put it down perfectly again.

If your team can do these things, then you deserve to make your kick and win. If not, and a timeout causes a breakdown in any way, you've got work to do.

It totally mystifies me when people get all bent about these things. It's called 'football'. and it is a brutal game filled with trickery and intimidation. Icing the kicker is part of the game, and as long as the ball has not been snapped, then why can't they call timeout?

They can call timeout when the playclock is about to hit zero,, what is the difference? This stuff i keep hearing about making a cut-off for a timeout of 5 to 10 seconds is ridiculous. Then no offense can call a last second timeout within that time limit to save themselves from a five yard penalty,, no defense can call a last second timeout when they see something that leaves them vulnerable.

Timeouts are part of the game, and wanting to regulate WHEN they can be called is definitely against the spirit of the rules.

~Bang

There's actually a simple way to handle it. When the clock is already stopped in the last minute of regulation and the team is rushing out to kick a possible game winning field goal, the Ref or umpire should be allowed to call a timeout for the defense if he feels the offense has an unfair advantage, that is if the team has a timeout in their pocket.

it would be simple. You have the time out called ahead of time. It's either that or make it so that the Coach while on defense cannot call a timeout after 5 seconds are left on the play clock or something which would be difficult to enforce.

I disagree. It's called strategy. It's called icing the kicker, especially since he's kicking from 50+ yards away.

Unfortunately, Jauron is a terrible coach and proved it last night - the end-around when it was 3rd and 1, the pass-play at the 25 late in the 3rd quarter when he could have run the ball and then kicked a field goal and pretty much dissipated the Cowpukes chances.

Agreed. To top all that, it would take one more advantage away from the defense.

There's actually a simple way to handle it. When the clock is already stopped in the last minute of regulation and the team is rushing out to kick a possible game winning field goal, the Ref or umpire should be allowed to call a timeout for the defense if he feels the offense has an unfair advantage, that is if the team has a timeout in their pocket.

it would be simple. You have the time out called ahead of time. It's either that or make it so that the Coach while on defense cannot call a timeout after 5 seconds are left on the play clock or something which would be difficult to enforce.

May as well not even play football.

If you want timeout, you call it when you want it. If you can't get your defense on the field and set, oh well. Practice more.

It really is that simple.

~Bang

You guys aren't understanding the problem here. There's nothing wrong with calling a time out to ice the kicker, even if the coach is doing it. What's wrong with this situation is the way the coaches are allowed to call time outs. It would be perfectly fine if they were over there and yelled or signaled time out right as the ball was snapped. That's not what's happening. The coach calls the ref over well before the play starts and says "as soon as the ball is snapped, I will have called a timeout." So its like reserving the time out ahead of time. They still signal it but they tell the ref ahead of time and have him stand there and stare at them and then call it and the ref gives it to them even if the snap has already happened. Think about it, the coach can't possibly know when the other team is going to snap it and calling the time out after the snap does nothing. Basically, the coaches are using a loophole to cheat on the snap and ensure the time out is called after the kicker kicks. That's a great strategy if you can pull of some precise time out, but its cheating the way its being done now. The coach might as well go ask the other coach what his snap count will be because its the same thing.

You guys aren't understanding the problem here. There's nothing wrong with calling a time out to ice the kicker, even if the coach is doing it. What's wrong with this situation is the way the coaches are allowed to call time outs. It would be perfectly fine if they were over there and yelled or signaled time out right as the ball was snapped. That's not what's happening. The coach calls the ref over well before the play starts and says "as soon as the ball is snapped, I will have called a timeout." So its like reserving the time out ahead of time. They still signal it but they tell the ref ahead of time and have him stand there and stare at them and then call it and the ref gives it to them even if the snap has already happened. Think about it, the coach can't possibly know when the other team is going to snap it and calling the time out after the snap does nothing. Basically, the coaches are using a loophole to cheat on the snap and ensure the time out is called after the kicker kicks. That's a great strategy if you can pull of some precise time out, but its cheating the way its being done now. The coach might as well go ask the other coach what his snap count will be because its the same thing.

then the solution is as simple as telling an official that he must be in his position watching the play as he is supposed to be. If the coach wants to follow the line judge to his spot and then time his timeout call and put it right in front of the guy's face, I haven't got an issue with this.

~Bang

then the solution is as simple as telling an official that he must be in his position watching the play as he is supposed to be. If the coach wants to follow the line judge to his spot and then time his timeout call and put it right in front of the guy's face, I haven't got an issue with this.

~Bang

That would be perfect. They just need to make it happen.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The ref stands on his spot where he always would, and the coach comes up to him to put him on alert. The ref keeps his eyes on the field. All the coach says is "I'm going to call a timeout so listen for me right here next to you," just so he will be heard by the ref when he calls TO. The coach has to make sure to call the timeout at the right moment. The most important thing to realize is that the timeouts aren't coming literally .01 seconds before every snap, they're coming several seconds before but the sideline ref has to run all the way onto the field to stop play and get the attention of everybody b/c his whistle probably won't be heard. Thus, the ball is snapped anyway and the meaningless kick goes off because the players don't realize time had been called.

Look at Dick Jauron last night-- he was yelling "Go! Go!" to the ref to make sure the ref ran out there in time. There was no preset agreement that as soon as the ball is snapped that the ref will call a timeout. Even on offense when they're milking the clock before a punt, the quarterback has to stand next to the ref and call timeout when the playclock hits 1 second, they can't just tell the ref to call it at a particular time and walk away.

Also, like I said previously, it's been done by players on the field in the past...same concept-- your MLB stands next to the ref in the middle of the field and calls TO right before the ball is snapped. This requires much more precise timing though because that ref is going to call the timeout immediately and stop play and the ball won't be snapped unless its perfect timing...you don't have that same couple second buffer that you have when the coach calls it from the sideline. Athough I suppose even if coaches couldn't call timeouts, the defense could put a corner over on the sideline and call it in exactly the same way the coach does.

I love it its part of the new NFL. However it can backfire too. Last night Jauron calls the TO and he misses the field goal-Bills win. But he cant take back the time out. So the Cowboys kick again and this time he makes it!!!!! what an awful outcome of the time out ice the kicker strategy for any team if it happens that way. so it is a double sided coin. :):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I think it's great. The only difference is it's only been 2 seasons since the coach can call a time out. it used to have to be the player on the field.

It's gotta mess with the kickers head. Will he or won't he.

It's always been done, the difference is this year, it actually matters on 3 different games (mad the 1st one, not the 2nd one).

Archived