Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calling timeout on game winners

ST is my boy

I believe this whole calling a timeout the second before the guy kicks the ball HAS to stop. We saw it last night in the cowboys game, and once again someone had to kick the ball twice. I just dont believe this is right at all, and they need to come up with something to prevent it.

I cringe at the thought of Suisam (sp?) making a game winner, only the other team called a timeout. Then he misses....anybody else hate this?

I disagree. It's called strategy. It's called icing the kicker, especially since he's kicking from 50+ yards away.

Unfortunately, Jauron is a terrible coach and proved it last night - the end-around when it was 3rd and 1, the pass-play at the 25 late in the 3rd quarter when he could have run the ball and then kicked a field goal and pretty much dissipated the Cowpukes chances.

Well that's how the game is played though, you can call a timeout before the ball is snapped whether we like it or not. I don't think the rules should change at all because it's the same as if we need to throw a touchdown versus kicking a field goal to win the game..... I think the rules should stand how it is because the game is played on how well players can adapt to the pressure situations when it comes down to it. :2cents:

I'd say this is a topic for Around the NFL, not the Stadium...but yeah, I don't like it either. But you can't change the rule in-season. I don't know why coaches have only started doing it now if they've always had the ability to do it. And it might be tough to come up with a rule to address it. I mean, you can call a time out prior to the snap...I don't know how you could change that.

I understand iceing the kicker. But I just feel like before this year started, kickers were getting iced but not having to kick the ball twice. I dont know....I just dont like it..

If you understand icing the kicker, they you should understand why Jauron did that. :whoknows:

yea i hate it to...Shannahan starting bad trends...

Or he is being a great coach? If that was your team on the field - wouldn't you try to pull any trick out of your hat to get a W no matter how bad it might look to the other team.

Stop crying about. Have a :cheers: instead.

Nobodys crying. I just said it was something I disagreed with. I also very much understand why he did it. I was saying I dont think you should be able to do it.

But if you understand why he did it, why do you think one shouldn't be able to do it? It's a matter of strategy. He's got one last card and he plays it at the last moment. I don't see anything wrong with it. IMO, it had to be done in that situation. Dick Jauron was hanging on to the remnants of a possible win and he had to do something. Strategy. That's all it was.

But if you understand why he did it, why do you think one shouldn't be able to do it? It's a matter of strategy. He's got one last card and he plays it at the last moment. I don't see anything wrong with it. IMO, it had to be done in that situation. Dick Jauron was hanging on to the remnants of a possible win and he had to do something. Strategy. That's all it was.

Very well said. Thanks!:applause: :applause: :applause:

i understand Icing the kicker as well... but dont do it as he is getting ready to kick... do it well before the snap.

If you wait until he is just about to kick, and call it, and he gets the kick away but it doesnt count like last night... if he makes the first attempt, it might even work against you in the sense that it gives him confidence

I believe this whole calling a timeout the second before the guy kicks the ball HAS to stop. We saw it last night in the cowboys game, and once again someone had to kick the ball twice. I just dont believe this is right at all, and they need to come up with something to prevent it.

I cringe at the thought of Suisam (sp?) making a game winner, only the other team called a timeout. Then he misses....anybody else hate this?

This will never change. A team has the right to call time out WHENEVER they want as long as the play has not started.

These kickers don't have that much opportunity to make key plays and they need to be able to kick under pressure. I would hope Joe Gibbs would do the same thing if we were in a similar position and if he didn't then I would question his judgement.

Sooner or later, this will stop when a coach calls the TO and the Kicker misses the FG only to make it on his second try. Besides, how do you stop it? Unless they leave it up to the discretion of the ref's like umpires do with batters trying to call a timeout just before a pitch. I don't think fans want to see things left up to the ref's judgement. That's when you end up with onside kicks (Dallas vs. Buffalo) only taking 2 seconds off the play clock.

I don't understand the uproar. Coaches call time out right before the play clock expires all the time. It's not like he called a time-out while the ball was in mid-air, they clearly showed him shouting for the timeout for a few seconds before the officials called for it.

I understand iceing the kicker. But I just feel like before this year started, kickers were getting iced but not having to kick the ball twice. I dont know....I just dont like it..

The reason it is a new phenomenon is because until recently, coaches could not call timeout from the sidelines. Coaches being allowed to do so IS a terrible rule, and hopefully this will be addressed in the off-season. Until then, ice away...ps Buffalo has the worst coaching I have ever seen. Period. It will take weeks for me to get over this. Unless of course New England finds a way to win 178-0 against them.

I would hope that it wouldn't come down to it but which ever team is on the losing side of this double edge sword is going to end up feeling really terrible. It is easy to say one way or another now but when all the emotions are involved and the stakes are raised...

Can you imagine if in the last game of the season against Dallas for the last wild card you're at FedEx, crowd going crazy, we got screwed by this and now the season is over? You would want to kill something, raise it back to life and kill it several more times. I know that the joy and glee on the Cowboys faces and sidelines would almost kill me.

I don't see it as any worse than spiking the ball to kill the clock. A time out is a time out. You are allowed 3 per 1/2 and can call it at any time. I still cannot see the difference between spiking the ball to stop the clock, and intentional grounding.

Archived