Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remember Westbrook and Gardner????

dposton

I remember both. Gardner just couldn't quite get consistent enough to make things work for him out there. If we're talking #2's here, ARE fills that role much better than Gardner imho. Westbrook, yeah. I liked the young man. Had all the talent in the world but he couldn't get past his own immaturity and the personal issues he had with coaches. I think he would have done well with Joe Gibbs in the final part of his career, but he just couldn't get past the hate/hate relationship he seemed to have had with many Redskins fans. True story about Mike though.

When Marty became coach/gm, he asked Mike to restructure his contract. Mike agreed and Marty loaded the contract with performance incentives. Mike, needless to say, didn't see many balls after that all that often. His rumored bad relationship with OC Jimmy Raye didn't help either. Fast forward to the Denver game that year. Kent comes into the game after Banks goes down I believe. Communications with the sidelines and the OC go out not too long after that. Kent called his own plays for the most part if I remember correctly. Kent found his favorite target Westbrook several times during that stretch and that helped the Redskins win that game. Interesting story from the time.

When Marty became coach/gm, he asked Mike to restructure his contract. Mike agreed and Marty loaded the contract with performance incentives. Mike, needless to say, didn't see many balls after that all that often. His rumored bad relationship with OC Jimmy Raye didn't help either. Fast forward to the Denver game that year. Kent comes into the game after Banks goes down I believe. Communications with the sidelines and the OC go out not too long after that. Kent called his own plays for the most part if I remember correctly. Kent found his favorite target Westbrook several times during that stretch and that helped the Redskins win that game. Interesting story from the time.

I never knew that about that Denver game

Mikey had the game winning TD. It was a sloppy game, but I never realized that Graham was calling his own plays

I never knew that about that Denver game

Mikey had the game winning TD. It was a sloppy game, but I never realized that Graham was calling his own plays

I'll try to find the story and post it. I remember when it hit ES things were very animated very fast.

I'll try to find the story and post it. I remember when it hit ES things were very animated very fast.

Kind of like when JC called his own play to Cooley for the winning TD last year, Carolina game I believe? :)

Or the opposite, when JC supposedly wasn't given an audible option at the end of the Giants game. A little trust could go a long way.

Oops, I forgot, I'm over that game. :doh:

Kind of like when JC called his own play to Cooley for the winning TD last year, Carolina game I believe? :)

Or the opposite, when JC supposedly wasn't given an audible option at the end of the Giants game. A little trust could go a long way.

Oops, I forgot, I'm over that game. :doh:

Just had to go there didn't you? Beware the Dark Side.

Man Westbrook had some great physical talents! He could make an unbelieveable catch and then turnaround on the very next play and drop one that was right on the numbers. It was totally frustrating to watch him. He also had some great moments when he caught the ball against the cardinals in OT when Jack Kent Cooke stadium opened up. That was awesome. I do think that there is a little backlash at the fact that we did draft big receivers and they didn't amount to a whole lot. What was funny about Gardener was the fact that we could have drafted moss and people didn't want to get him back then because he was considered too "small". Funny how we ended up with him anyway.

Someone mentioned the catch he made against Arizona, falling back. In just weeks previous there had been a report saying that he had a big limitation in his WR skills; that he really struggled to catch the ball over his shoulder.

I won't forget that AZ catch because it felt like it justified those earlier reports. I don't know for sure whether they were true, but I remember the claim being made.

Okay, so Westbrook could have been a monster if he had the drive, coaching and stayed healthy. The only reason he kept getting injured was because he was our only option.

Are there any veterans left out there who could come in and do for us now what Henry Ellard did for us back then. If not, who do we get to complete our WR corps for now and the future?

Some have suggested Larry Fitzgerald if he is a FA at the end of the year. Has anyone thought of Mario Manningham and Derrick Williams (Penn State; DC area native)? Would they make good fits?

B.Lloyd is a different story..

Before coming here, we all knew he was the type of receiver who could come down with the ball in basically any given situation. Maybe in San Francisco the spotlight was on him since there weren't any other elite receivers along with him. Or was Jerry Rice with him for a few years?

Anyway, the point is B.Lloyd has to share the ball with ARE and Moss. Heck, he isn't even sharing. Spending so much money on a receiver like Lloyd and then him turning out to be a bust (so far with 0 receptions this year) is unacceptable.

Deep down, for some reason, I think Moss got injured for a reason. It was the only way Lloyd was gonna get a chance and I have a feeling he's gonna take advantage of it..

Here are my thoughts on Michael Westbrook.

I was not a big fan of his at first because I thought, like many other Redskin Fans, he had all the talent and showed signs of breaking out but was too much of a head case.

Then in 1998 he started to show promise but got hurt in I think the Chargers Game. In 1999 with Brad Johnson @ QB he had a break out season and I thought finally Michael Westbroook has arrived. He got hurt in early (I think week 2) in 2000 and missed the rest of season and then in 2001 Tony Banks kept locking in on Rod Gardner. I remember before the 2001 Cardinal Game in Arizona Westbrook said that he wanted the ball and had a pretty good game, I think in had a good game in Denver in when Kent Graham lead them from behind.

So to sum it up I was not a fan at first but I think he started to show promise in 1998.

I remember in 99 Westbrooke had a stellar year with Brad Johnson tossing the football to him. Hell, even Albert Connell had a great year. I remember those two more than Gardner. The only memory I have of Gardener is him catching LONG passes at the 20 yard line and getting tackled at the 5. I swear it ALWAYS happened. He never seemed to be able to find the end zone.

Archived