Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some things need to be cleared up around here

TSO

1- Joe Gibbs says things in his press conferences and in public that he doesn't necessarily say to them team. This is well-documented. He never blasts a player in public, for instance, but will surely do so privately. The same goes for his words on opposing teams. He will NEVER say anything publically about another team that can be seen as negative in anyway. This, obviously, includes talking in a very confident manner about winning the next game. He just will not do that. He'll say things like "We hope we play hard and come out on top, but it's going to be close" even though deep down he does want to destroy each and every team. If you don't believe he wants to dominate, you're kidding yourself. Just stop it. It's ridiculous to see some of the posters who've been around here for some time now, who know Gibbs well, refer to his press conferences as an indication to how he wants this team to play. As if him saying "We'll always play close games" means he doesn't want to dominate, or that he tells the team the same thing. You should know better. Shame on you.

2- 90% of NFL games played today are close games. There are very few teams right now that are winning games and doing so with a large point differential. Yes, are team is as talented as those teams are, but at the same time, talent doesn't always mean success. Especially THAT kind of success. There are many factors that go into the outcome of a game. I just may be that we have been a little unfortunate where as they haven't. A few catches instead of drops here and there, Jason Campbell connecting with Moss deep instead of overthrowing him once in two games, and a few dropped INTs would've changed the outcome of all our games BIG TIME. Instead of a one socre game they would've been, at the very least, two scores. Instead of a loss against the Giants it would've been a win. The thing is, it just didn't happen... but we're trying. To blast the team and the coaches is foolish, especially at this point. We're 2-1, and we have nowhere to go but up.

3- We got some unfortunate injuries. Thomas and Jansen, no matter how well Fabini and Wade play, are missed dearly. Especially Thomas. His loss forces us to completely change our game plan, mainly in the run game. The fact that we're still competitive is a testament to how good our coahces are. Pretty much every team in the NFL that loses two of their starting offensive lineman are severely damaged for the season. That includes both the Patriots and the Cowboys. We've handled it better than any team in the NFL could've so far. Appreciate it. Be thankful. Don't bash Gibbs for the very fact that he has given us hope, something that's been missing here for a long time. This team CAN WIN. We all know it. They do too. When have we had that around here since Gibbs left? Exactly.

4- Stop freaking out because Dallas is winning. I believe that the fact that they are winning is the single biggest reason why everyone around here wants to kill Gibbs and this team. If they were losing, and we were at the top of the division right now... I have a funny feeling the Giants game wouldn't be such a downer to most people around here. Look, Dallas will lose a game. It'll come. We just gotta focus on ourselves. Who cares if they win the division with an awesome record. So long as we play well and make the playoffs with our own good record, we'll be fine. Our team has been consistently better than them come December and January. Don't think that'll change over night. They got the same players for the most part, and we do too. Our guys will come to play.

1- Joe Gibbs says things in his press conferences and in public that he doesn't necessarily say to them team. This is well-documented. He never blasts a player in public, for instance, but will surely do so privately. The same goes for his words on opposing teams. He will NEVER say anything publically about another team that can be seen as negative in anyway. This, obviously, includes talking in a very confident manner about winning the next game. He just will not do that. He'll say things like "We hope we play hard and come out on top, but it's going to be close" even though deep down he does want to destroy each and every team. If you don't believe he wants to dominate, you're kidding yourself. Just stop it. It's ridiculous to see some of the posters who've been around here for some time now, who know Gibbs well, refer to his press conferences as an indication to how he wants this team to play. As if him saying "We'll always play close games" means he doesn't want to dominate, or that he tells the team the same thing. You should know better. Shame on you.

Like it or not, Gibbs is on the hot seat this season and if we don't make the playoffs, I have a gut feeling that he's going to be headed back to NASCAR full-time.

So he had better find some confidence in this team and get things going in the right direction.

Unfortunately, None of your points change the fact that Gibbs is coaching like crap.

Unfortunately your one line retort doesn't prove he IS coaching like crap.

Look at St. Louis, they were predicted to win the NFC West in a tough fight and be play off bound. What happens they lost one player on the Oline - Orlando Pace, and now they can't run or pass, Stephen jackson and marc bulger both got hurt and uhoh, will they ever win one?

You want to see bad coaching look at San diego 14-2 last year to 1-3 this year under a new coach. That is not BAD coaching, that is abissmal coaching.

You trying to tell me that Coughlin is winning cause he's a better coach? Heck no, he's winning because of one person. Eli. Without Eli I'm sorry they'd be worse than us right now.

Like it or not, Gibbs is on the hot seat this season and if we don't make the playoffs, I have a gut feeling that he's going to be headed back to NASCAR full-time.

So he had better find some confidence in this team and get things going in the right direction.

Think that'll knock the confidence of the OP if not Gibbs himself!

Dan Snyder will never fire Coach Gibbs, and Coach Gibbs is not a quitter.... :doh:

'nuff said.....

I love Gibbs as much as the next die hard, but I'm not happy with him right now. My hope and belief is that he'll shift his philosophy a bit after the Giants game. I think his presser and his comments since the loss have indicated that he recognizes he has made some errors in his approach. I have a feeling he knows this and he's looking to make it right. I have always trusted him, and I'm certain that he'll figure it out. He always does. Plus, as much as I disagree with some of Gibbs' decisions, I'm sure that there are underlying things that we just don't immediately take into consideration. We need a spark on offense and I'm hoping we get that the next three weeks.

HTTR

Good post. Not sure it will help. The negative crap on this board is just silly at this point--is it soooo important to jump on ANY positive thread instantly? Why, so you can say "I told you so" later, if we do actually collapse? Will that make y'all feel better? My prediction: your negativity now will NOT make you feel any better if things go bad. My advice: try to get into a more positive mindframe for a bit. Just try it. That doesn't mean drink the koolaid, etc, etc. It just means STOP POSTING EVERY FRIGGIN NEGATIVE THING THAT COMES INTO YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT HELPING! WE KNOW! WE LOST TO THE GIANTS! WE'VE LOST LOTS OF GAMES IN THE PAST 10 YEARS!

How does it help to continually pick at that scab until it bleeds?

Rant over. Good post, Thesubmit. This rant is to all the nattering nabobs of negativity haunting the Redskin nation at present.

Look at St. Louis, they were predicted to win the NFC West in a tough fight and be play off bound. What happens they lost one player on the Oline - Orlando Pace, and now they can't run or pass, Stephen jackson and marc bulger both got hurt and uhoh, will they ever win one?

You want to see bad coaching look at San diego 14-2 last year to 1-3 this year under a new coach. That is not BAD coaching, that is abissmal coaching.

You trying to tell me that Coughlin is winning cause he's a better coach? Heck no, he's winning because of one person. Eli. Without Eli I'm sorry they'd be worse than us right now.

to be fair, STL lost like 3 oline starters, not just pace. and bulger is banged up, as well as their secondary. thats not poor coaching. thats way too many injuries.

we lost one really good olineman in thomas, but wade in my opinion is just as good as jansen. we havent lost our whole line and our stud runningback, as well as having our QB with broken ribs.

ummm...and Eli just magically became a winning QB? no system? no coaching? no...errrr....tallish wideout making clutch plays even when injured? no defense sacking the QB 12 times to get the ball back?

3- We got some unfortunate injuries. Thomas and Jansen, no matter how well Fabini and Wade play, are missed dearly. Especially Thomas. His loss forces us to completely change our game plan, mainly in the run game. The fact that we're still competitive is a testament to how good our coahces are.

Be thankful. Don't bash Gibbs for the very fact that he has given us hope, something that's been missing here for a long time. This team CAN WIN. We all know it. They do too. When have we had that around here since Gibbs left? Exactly.

This team has for several years used the free agent approach to team building and that has led to their not being enough depth to overcome these types of injuries. There are no young players ready to step in on the line. This was cemented by the fact that they had to trade for a new starter right before the season. I'm not going to compliment the coaches for this fact. Don't they have any say in how the team is built?

And personally I don't feel a whole lot better about this team right now than I have for pretty much the last decade. I DON'T know they can win. And I wonder if the team thinks they can either.

Good post. Not sure it will help. The negative crap on this board is just silly at this point--is it soooo important to jump on ANY positive thread instantly? Why, so you can say "I told you so" later, if we do actually collapse? Will that make y'all feel better? My prediction: your negativity now will NOT make you feel any better if things go bad. My advice: try to get into a more positive mindframe for a bit. Just try it. That doesn't mean drink the koolaid, etc, etc. It just means STOP POSTING EVERY FRIGGIN NEGATIVE THING THAT COMES INTO YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT HELPING! WE KNOW! WE LOST TO THE GIANTS! WE'VE LOST LOTS OF GAMES IN THE PAST 10 YEARS!

How does it help to continually pick at that scab until it bleeds?

Rant over. Good post, Thesubmit. This rant is to all the nattering nabobs of negativity haunting the Redskin nation at present.

what do you want.....sugar and candy your entire life? let's examine the obvious...shall we?

1) The Skins are better on defense than last season. Rejoyce!

2) The Skins are marginally better on Offense than last season. Rejoyce!

3) The team chemistry seems very solid. Rejoyce!

4) We are 2-1. Rejoyce!

5) We beat the Iggles. Rejoyce!

6) Pass defense has been inconsistent in 2 out of 3 games. Concern.

7) We went to overtime with a team others have more or less ripped in the 4th qtr. Concern.

8) We have wideouts dropping an alarming number of passes. Concern.

9) We have a TE who is not getting open. Concern.

10) We have a young QB who is progressing....but might not be on a par with any of the other QBs in the NFC East. Concern.

11) We have a runing game that runshot and cold. Concern.

12) We have a team that blew a 17-3 lead on a team that was on the ropes and experiencing internal dissension as well as injuries. Concern.

13) We do have a team we hate leading the division and doing so convincingly. Concern.

14) We have a coaching staff that at random points simply seems disorganized in terms of getting things done on the field quickly and efficiently. Concern.

I could list a lot more. The reality: there is lots to be pleased about given what happened last season. It is easy to see where many of the concerns lie. And yes...it is reasonable to use the progress/play achieved by the better teams in the league as a partial measuring stick.

he cant because it would be business suicide. snyder would get lambasted for firing a dc legend. if it wasnt joe gibbs coaching this team, we'd have had a new coach this year already.

Yeah this I firmly believe is true, we would have Bill Cowher by now and people would be ****ing about him instead.

to be fair, STL lost like 3 oline starters, not just pace. and bulger is banged up, as well as their secondary. thats not poor coaching. thats way too many injuries.

we lost one really good olineman in thomas, but wade in my opinion is just as good as jansen. we havent lost our whole line and our stud runningback, as well as having our QB with broken ribs.

And Kendall is an upgrade to Dockery IMO, so losing Thomas was the only real "loss" on the line.

For real, if your talking about firing Joe Gibbs forget it. We can't keep looking at today but what's going to happen tomorrow like in the Lions game. All we can do is wait and see how we approach this game and what has change to make us better. Sure, I'm upset and complain. And that's what some fans do when they no the team can do alot better.

But frankly, I'm not looking just at the players, I'm looking at our Hall-of-Fame coach and know he has the smarts along with Al Saunders to figure this thing out eventually. So, what we must do is look at how the team progresses through out the course of the season and what changes the coaches make and how the players respond. And as long as we stay within playoff contention I'm happy. Because once we get into the playoffs, I like our chances and our coach. But first and foremost we must beat the teams we suppose to beat especially at home like the Giants. And this Lions game is a real gut checking game to see what we're going to do diffrently to win it. Because we let one get away from us, and we really can't afford to let anymore winnable games get away from us at home.

Was this before or after they Lost Pace? I don't remember hearing about the other Oline starters? That is interesting.

ummm...and Eli just magically became a winning QB? no system? no coaching? no...errrr....tallish wideout making clutch plays even when injured? no defense sacking the QB 12 times to get the ball back?

I think it was Eli that willed them back into that last game, I don't think coughlin had anything to do with it honestly :/

Was this before or after they Lost Pace? I don't remember hearing about the other Oline starters? That is interesting.

I think it was Eli that willed them back into that last game, I don't think coughlin had anything to do with it honestly :/

I can see where you might think that way. Hard to prove/disprove.

To paraphrase a person I truly despise: "It takes a team!"

anywho.....the Gints O coordinator has had our number for a while now. I still think we let them off the hook when we should have buried them in the 3rd qtr - that loss is on us...not a victory by the Gints.

but...water under the proverbial bridge!

Archived