Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is a 20% chance we are in a computer simulation...

Baculus

This argument is self-defeating.

There are only two possibilities: we are in a simulation, or we are not in a simulation.

If we are not in a simulation, then the argument is wrong. Stop right there.

If we are in a simulation, then we have no idea how accurately the simulation portrays the actual development of scientific technology. It's not real, it's a simulation. Thus, we have no accurate method of determining if such a simulation is actually possible, and such potential capability in the future is the linchpin of the entire argument. In this case, we can't know one way or the other, so the argument fails again.

Since the two scenarios leave the argument either defeated outright, or totally undemonstrable, the argument is a nice speculation, but useless beyond that, particularly if one wants to put a percentage on it.

My faith says thats why everything tastes like chicken!

My faith says thats why everything tastes like chicken!

Are you making fun of my efforts to earn my Junior Philosopher Merit Badge? :(

Anyway, a philosopher named Brain Weatherson offers a rebuttal here on his blog, including a link to his paper on the subject, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

I know, I know. People just want to read the cool story and pretend they're going to get to meet Trinity. :)

Are you making fun of my efforts to earn my Junior Philospher Merit Badge? :(

Anyway, a philosopher named Brain Weatherson offers a rebuttal here on his blog, including a link to his paper on the subject, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

I know, I know. People just want to read the cool story and pretend they're going to get to meet Trinity. :)

Just thought it was interesting that you, of all people, debunked the simulation theory for the same reasons Atheists debunk religion.

Lack of faith. :2cents:

How is this different from religion?

Anyway, I'm not sure if this idea works. If the Earth was a simulation, like in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it might be feasible.

But given an extremely large, if not infinite Universe, the amount of information required to run the simulation would be so large that the innaccuracies due to incomplete information and even quantum effects would cause the simulation to break in places. Glitches if you like. Find me a glitch and I'm a believer.:geek:

Black Holes. :)

Just thought it was interesting that you, of all people, debunked the simulation theory for the same reasons Atheists debunk religion.

Lack of faith. :2cents:

I don't think that's accurate. The philosopher who proposed this theory did so not on grounds of faith, but rather his attempt to apply logic and mathematical probabilities to our situation. No faith involved. As a transhumanist he might, in fact, be offended at your insinuation that he is operating on faith... ;)

Likewise, my response, muddled as it was (and I can already see at least one big flaw in it, but hey, I was on my lunch break...), was an (awfully poor :)) attempt to apply rules of logic to the theory. No faith there either.

I don't think that's accurate. The philosopher who proposed this theory did so not on grounds of faith, but rather his attempt to apply logic and mathematical probabilities to our situation. No faith involved. As a transhumanist he might, in fact, be offended at your insinuation that he is operating on faith... ;)

Likewise, my response, muddled as it was (and I can already see at least one big flaw in it, but hey, I was on my lunch break...), was an (awfully poor :)) attempt to apply rules of logic to the theory. No faith there either.

He has faith in some pretty big assumptions made at the start of the paper..

Species A: Creates technology capable of simulating an entire infinite universe.

Species B: Advances so much within the "program" that they become smart enough to realize they are actually not real at all.

What happens then?

If you have to ask this question, you need to watch more Star Trek. :)

He has faith in some pretty big assumptions made at the start of the paper..

Please, let's not have another pointless discussion where words like "faith", which have a definite connotation in everyday language, get stretched and muddled...

That's not the kind of faith we were talking about.

Please, let's not have another pointless discussion where words like "faith", which have a definite connotation in everyday language, get stretched and muddled...

That's not the kind of faith we were talking about.

Call it what you want. I wouldn't exactly call all of his assumptions at the beginning of the paper 'applying logic' either.

err correct me if I'm wrong, but his argument goes something like this:

"I am a material being because in all likelihood there is only one being with conscious experiences indiscriminable from mine, and clearly I am a material being since I am a material being." :whoknows:

As much of it as I could understand, it really just looks like he watched the Matrix too many times, said to himself, this will get me publicity, and put it in print.

The Matrix was obviously created by the simulators so someone would say just that when we started figuring out the truth..."Dude, you've watched The Matrix too many times, this theory is ridiculous." Isn't that what they'd WANT you to say? :paranoid:

The logic I used to compare the two only served to show you the atheist point of view. You apply no faith to this particular scenario in the same manner atheists apply no faith to religion. Both are extremely comparable sans history. That was my only point. No worries, I'm still with ya!:cheers:

When they were programming the Matrix, and trying to produce a believable similation of what life should be like, there were some pieces of information that they were missing. One of these was what chicken was supposed to taste like. None of the programmers had a clue what chicken should taste like, so they just made it taste like everything.

• 5 years later...

Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

Physicists have devised a new experiment to test if the universe is a computer.

A philosophical thought experiment has long held that it is more likely than not that we're living inside a machine.

The theory basically goes that any civilisation which could evolve to a 'post-human' stage would almost certainly learn to run simulations on the scale of a universe. And that given the size of reality - billions of worlds, around billions of suns - it is fairly likely that if this is possible, it has already happened.

And if it has? Well, then the statistical likelihood is that we're located somewhere in that chain of simulations within simulations. The alternative - that we're the first civilisation, in the first universe - is virtually (no pun intended) absurd.

And it's not just theory. We previously reported that researchers at the University of Bonn in Germany had found evidence the Matrix was less than fiction. That story was by far our most popular of the year - indicating it's something about which you lot have wondered too.

Now another team have devised an actual test to see if this theory holds any hope of being proven.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived