Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN-Vick Divide

ironmic

I don't know how many of youy plan on watching the Vick divide tonite on ESPN, but I found this article and wanted to post and get opinions on it. The guys name is Template and these are his feelings on this upcoming show. Myself, I will watch it but at a distance, I have a feeling ESPN will only put on radical, ignorant and defiant black people who support Vick and have Educated, calm and and well mannered whites who don't. I never see a show actually get educated, calm and well mannered blacks for discussions...It sells to put on the loud mouth blacks and it serves other purposes also, but I will leave that one alone.

Any way here is the article...just want honest opinions..P.S the hypocrits I am sure will come in here waving their flags.

Ads by GoogleVick Admits Guilt

PETA’s Calling On NFL To

Help Stop Dogfighting For Good!

PETA.orgDivide Estate

ESPN will be hosting a “Town Hall Meeting” to discuss former Atlanta Falcons QB, Michael Vick and all of the events surrounding his involvement in illegal dog fighting. This topic has been discussed in many forums and continues to provide fodder for corporations, non-profits and individuals with well-defined agendas. Vick is being referred to as “a polarizing figure” by ESPN. During the height of the media frenzy, Vick was often called “the most polarizing figure in the history of the city of Atlanta.” That’s heady praise for a Negro in a city which has been ruled by so many heavy-handed white supremacists. It is a testament to the progress of “race relations” that a vilified Black man could supplant vile and capricious white leaders and citizens who unleashed the full fury of the state to rip the economic base out of Black Atlanta. Research on the seemingly innocuous practice of white flight raises questions on the economic consequences of “conditional Southern hospitality.” Just as it was in the 1950’s, this is about “freedom of association.” Even if it costs half a million dollars.

(Don’t get it twisted. This is no lament over segregation. After all, it’s not as bad in the South as it is in the North. More importantly, however, I do not find that residential intregation trumps systematic, honest fiscal and tax policy reform as a long-term, replicable solution. Short hand: living next to white folks is not the balm you’ve been seeking - another post, another time.)

One of the “polarizing” questions is sure to be whether or not Michael Vick was singled out by federal authorities for prosecution. The question cannot be answered by looking at the practices of the federal government in this particular case. The ESPN producers will have to do the research into the international practice of dogfighting. This multi-billion dollar international activity is arguably more popular in Italy and Japan (among Mafia and Yakuza types, according to certain sources) than it is in the United States. Moreover, dog fighting is not restricted to the Black South or the urban North. Dog fighting was, historically, a sport for the wealthy - and, by extension was “legal.” It’s barbarism was an acceptable aspect of “the game” in this pre-Lassie society. Things have changed. It’s not a felony everywhere. In the Pacific Northwest, it’s a misdemeanor.

To answer the question of fairness, ESPN will need to do more than hand out microphones to “blacks and whites” for two hours. Given the recent arrests of Shaquanda Cotton in Texas and six young men in Jena, Louisiana, shaping the context for discussing fairness will be as hard as walking a craggy beach in bare feet. This is not an easy discussion - and it is flawed from its inception. After all, the REAL ISSUE with respect to this case isn’t even Michael Vick.

The issue is the split perceptions in the out-sized outrage of whites with respect to Black violations of law, code or creed, while simultaneously turning a blind eye and deaf ear to “white” violations of the same. The issue is the manner in which the court of public opinion reinforces (or at least seeks to reinforce) the idea that Black folk are 2nd class citizens.

If folks WAKE UP before Tuesday, the BLACK participants should not answer a single question about Michael Vick or his friends or the “Southern culture” or hip hop or DMX or Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or anything posed by folks seeking to change the topic. There was no Mark Chmura Divide. There is no Chris Benoit Divide. There is no Bill Maas Divide. There was no Marv Albert Divide. There is a Barry Bonds Divide. There is an OJ Simpson Divide. There is no Rick Ankiel Divide. There is a Donovan McNabb Divide…but no Brett Favre Divide. There was a Ty Willingham Divide, but no George O’Leary Divide. There is no Charlie Weis Divide.

The topic is the same as it ever was…white folks in America are absolutely enmeshed in the racial psychosis which blinds them and anesthetizes them to “in group” criminality. It may be that that isn’t the worst of it. The worst of it may be the psychopathic need to deny the disease actually exists. Perhaps it is, after all, unavoidable that a people whose greatest national heroes were invariably hypocrites, masochists and pedophiles have no choice but to see the good in doped up wrestlers who kill themselves and their families.

As it stands, Tuesday is sure to be a waste of time. The audience should expect to come away bruised and bloodied. I’ll pass on this inevitable minstrel fiasco.

The media wants there to be a "divide", but when people like Al Sharpton, Russell Simmons and Gene Upshaw all agree that Vick did something truly objectionable, it's kind of hard for them to enforce their preferred story line. It's a good example of what ESPN is like, though-- a bunch of nerdy northeastern liberal elitists who try to pretend they're "regular guys" and strengthen their flimsy manhood by talking about sports. Underneath, they're all Keith Olbermann.

The media wants there to be a "divide", but when people like Al Sharpton, Russell Simmons and Gene Upshaw all agree that Vick did something truly objectionable, it's kind of hard for them to enforce their preferred story line. It's a good example of what ESPN is like, though-- a bunch of nerdy northeastern liberal elitists who try to pretend they're "regular guys" and strengthen their flimsy manhood by talking about sports. Underneath, they're all Keith Olbermann.

Me Republican no like

Liberal!

I'm not really sure what i saw (tuned in for a couple seconds). Somebody would make a point and everybody either cheered or booed hysterically no matter how insignificant the comment. If the comment wasn't 100% Michael Vick is an innocent man going to jail for being black they seemed to go crazy. Were there any points made by either side? I wasn't able to tell with the audience there but would like to know.

I stopped watching when the NAACP guy stood up and said dogfighting is a misdemeanor in Virginia and the authorities are trying him for a felony. Then the Humane Society guy stood up behind him and said dogfighting in Virginia IS a felony and has been for some time. At least know what you're talking about if you're gonna stand up in front of the camera on national television and open your mouth. :doh:

The audience was unruly and rude. And what is up with the FREE MIKE VICK shirts? He's free isn't he?

And what is up with the FREE MIKE VICK shirts? He's free isn't he?

They're giving away Vick for free since nobody wants him.

This program showed nothing more than the ignorance that Vick commited a felony. He broke the law. And he just broke the law again (marijuana). Such an interesting case of crash and burn....and burn....

Did he just use the word "Negro". That was very negritude to do so. By the way why post this on Extremeskins? To a bunch of people here racism only exist in the mind. The institution of racism is only a figment of the mind or experiences, or lack there of. I mean a State that still flies the Confederate flag can't have racial institutional measures in place, no way. But Michael Vick isn't going to jail because he's black. He's going to jail because he fought dogs, instead of hunting rabbits and ducks. I don't know about you, but I like Looney Tunes alot more than Lassie and Cujo.

Did he just use the word "Negro". That was very negritude to do so. By the way why post this on Extremeskins? To a bunch of people here racism only exist in the mind. The institution of racism is only a figment of the mind or experiences, or lack there of. I mean a State that still flies the Confederate flag can't have racial institutional measures in place, no way. But Michael Vick isn't going to jail because he's black. He's going to jail because he fought dogs, instead of hunting rabbits and ducks. I don't know about you, but I like Looney Tunes alot more than Lassie and Cujo.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4210795&postcount=1

A little snippet from just yesterday about how the vast majority of Virginians feel about their history; and about their ancestors who died for what they believed in. The flag that you're referring to (also called the Confederate Battle Flag...for a reason) has different meanings to different people. However, I'm no more likely to sway you toward my interpretation than you are me toward yours.

Virginia, especially in the south is a different place. They take their history, and specifically, their Civil War history more seriously than probably any other part of our country. It would serve you well to understand that before making blanket judgements; regardless of the inherent emotions involved.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4210795&postcount=1

A little snippet from just yesterday about how the vast majority of Virginians feel about their history; and about their ancestors who died for what they believed in. The flag that you're referring to (also called the Confederate Battle Flag...for a reason) has different meanings to different people. However, I'm no more likely to sway you toward my interpretation than you are me toward yours.

Virginia, especially in the south is a different place. They take their history, and specifically, their Civil War history more seriously than probably any other part of our country. It would serve you well to understand that before making blanket judgements; regardless of the inherent emotions involved.

I understand that a lot of Southerners have a deep feeling towards the Civil War, maybe there is an inherent problem with that. I mean your celebrating the sucssesion from the United States Government, and the dehumanization of African Americans as a way of life. With that said I know there is a significant portion of the South that sees the flag as a representation of good, others that see is as the highest form of evil. I understand the resistance the South showed in the Civil War mind you. If it was a war against tyranny, sign me up and put on the front line. But it was a war to preserve a certain way of life that was wanted a system of tyranny in itself. I can't condone that.

Archived