Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, if we were to run Gibbs out of town on a rail...what comes next?

Bacon

I'm all for keeping Gibbs, I believe in being loyal to those people who have done so much for you. Three championships speak for themself seeing that there are about six teams that haven't even seen a super bowl. The obvious answer is that Coach Williams will take over. If Gibbs left this year and Williams didn't take over, my pick....

BILL COWHER

a young eager risk taker of an offensive coordinator from another team, ya know, just like gibbs was when we brought him here in 81?

best answer here, and I agree with everyone else who's said similar. A young guy who's already been in the league as a coordinator is the ideal person. Look at what a change in LB's coach has done to the play of our LB's. Sure, we can also attribute that to upgrades at the position, but talent is useless if you don't have proper coaching.

We as Redskins fans are used to going after "the stud". Spurrier was one, Gibbs is one due to his history with us, shoot Marty was one. Yet other teams have gone different routes, Cam Cameron, Lovie Smith, Lane Kiffin, Mike Tomlin. The verdict is out on how well they'll do, but it says something that other teams have had success with the "non-stud" before, and we should do the same. We didn't do well with Norv or Richie Pettitbon, but we still should try.

I want Gibbs to stick around. Are we forgetting that we made the playoffs two years ago? Last year was bad, sure, but this one just started and it's far from over.

Don't give Gibbs the axe yet. Wait it out just a little bit longer. I know that's hard for some of you, but firing him now or getting rid of him at the end of the season isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.

First, hire Bobby DePaul to be General Manager:

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

DePaul evaluates players in the professional ranks, prepares the club for its acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire and manages the advance scouting for Bears opponents. In addition to supervising the pro personnel department, DePaul has a hand in day-to-day football operations, assisting with salary cap maintenance, contract negotiations and overseeing the development of scouting football systems technology.

DePaul entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

Born in 1963, DePaul attended Archbishop John Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he played fullback and linebacker on a team that lost only once during his three-year varsity career. DePaul attended the University of Maryland and played linebacker on three Atlantic Coast Conference champion Terrapin squads and made four bowl appearances under former Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers head coach Bobby Ross. DePaul and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters, Ariel and Ashley.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

Then hopefully he hires this man to be Head Coach:

grimm_russ.jpg

Russ Grimm

there are only TWO bonafide good coaches in this league outside of Gibbs,

But here is the problem...what part of Gibbs II makes you think that he's still a good coach? I have nothing but admiration and respect for the body of Joe Gibb's work, but the last few years have been marked by poor coaching and even poorer personnel decisions. It's just time.

I want Gibbs to stick around. Are we forgetting that we made the playoffs two years ago? Last year was bad, sure, but this one just started and it's far from over.

Don't give Gibbs the axe yet. Wait it out just a little bit longer. I know that's hard for some of you, but firing him now or getting rid of him at the end of the season isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.

i hate to say this but gibbs is washed out dude!! give it up!!

It's always a possibility. But what good will it do to get rid of him now, at this juncture? That would shake up the whole scheme of things and the season would be lost, I guarantee it.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if the season is lost or not before making rash decisions? We have a good football team.

I don't think anyone is advocating that he get fired now...if they are that's just stupid and shouldn't be acknowledged.

Now, as for this offseason, those who do not even acknowledge that we might need a change (i.e. the sacreligious comments) are just blind homers and are obviously not able to look at this team with any type of critical eye. You can still love and respect Gibbs even if you don't want him to coach this team next year.

Cowher = biggest mistake that could possibly be made. He coached the Steelers for 15 seasons and has one ring, a ring he wouldn't have if a certain Indianapolis Colt hadn't been stabbed in the leg by his wife. Need I remind you what his choice play to seal the AFC Championship that year was? Give it to Bettis who basically fumbles the game away excepting that stabbed Colt who couldn't outrun Big Ben. Cowher has one ring for 15 years which he got based on luck, not coaching. And do you know why it took Cowher 14 years to get his ring, after which his team returned to mediocrity? Because he is just as conservative and old-fashioned as Gibbs, except he's not as good a coach. If we're going to move on from Gibbs, the job needs to go to a coordinator who knows the team or someone young who is willing to shake things up, not another relic with a weaker track record.

Cowher = biggest mistake that could possibly be made. He coached the Steelers for 15 seasons and has one ring, a ring he wouldn't have if a certain Indianapolis Colt hadn't been stabbed in the leg by his wife. Need I remind you what his choice play to seal the AFC Championship that year was? Give it to Bettis who basically fumbles the game away excepting that stabbed Colt who couldn't outrun Big Ben. Cowher has one ring for 15 years which he got based on luck, not coaching. And do you know why it took Cowher 14 years to get his ring, after which his team returned to mediocrity? Because he is just as conservative and old-fashioned as Gibbs, except he's not as good a coach. If we're going to move on from Gibbs, the job needs to go to a coordinator who knows the team or someone young who is willing to shake things up, not another relic with a weaker track record.

Thats why i want russ grimm. He plays has been a offensive coordinator for a while and led some good offenses. Not to mention we could hire a GM that would make good decisions in getting him the players he needs that will perform well on the field.

Guest RideorDieChic

I agree, Cower may not be the answer we need. And I pray to heaven that Gruden is not even an option. Nevertheless, in all honesty is time for a new HC. I love Coach Gibbs' legacy, I'm not in panic because of a loss, so is not my intent to jump on any bandwaggon. Sadly, I've felt for quite sometime that the game has passed him bye. My wishes are that we have a successfull enough season so that Coach Gibbs goes out on top. It would hurt my heart seeing his legacy tarnish, even one bit.

The O-line goes in a coma, Jason goes off-target, the defense can't tackle, and even Mike Sellers wiffs on a block, and it's all Gibb's fault?

Too conservative? Yes.

Doesn't have the clock management skills and talents of the 1980s? Yes (though Jason is new to that as well).

But don't forget

The best option we have as a head coach? YES!

Archived